Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all as my title suggests there are some good reviews on here already describing the game mechanics and content so what I intend to cover is what I feel sets this game apart from other territorial control. Games and makes this a classic for me.

Firstly the rule book is a light read with not many exceptions.
Although not mentioned in the rules you can easily vary the game length to suit your time by altering the number of turns the game has before scoring.
Got an hour?.just play 8 turns

The drop in mechanism is genius and complements the fact that the board is different every play so you will never get trapped as you can alway drop in around obstacles.

The combat is fast furious and elegant.
Be prepared to take heavy loses because you will.

Some say defence is too hard.
Not so if you have the right units defending in the righ place with artillery support.
It can be very tricky to remove such a player
Biggest mistake I see players doing is defending in the open.
Fill your cities with troops befor spilling out into the open.the defence rating of cities can turn a battle in short order

The consul segment is a nice little mini game with many facets.
A newbie will go for winning the consul every time while a smarter player will build his hand to facilitate playing action cards in the next round.
Remember you don’t have to declare consul just because you can.
It is sometimes wise to hold of and collect cards.

Battle are brutal and bloody and it is best to manuever and explore the board with your precious units rather than committing them to a board build up when they could be elsewhere conquering.

In my experience now 10 games in. A defensive player usually loses.

This is probably my favourite game of this genre right now.
I love the theme and the many different nuances.
Only complaints I have are I don’t understand why the tension track moves up 2each turn and second the card text is a little small for my tired old eyes lol.
If you can find this pick it up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think this game can be played with two players only? Is there a way to modify the Senate Phase in a way that makes sense for a two Player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi sorry for delay in response.
We did have two methods last time we played two players.

We had an poker style system where player swapped cards win a 5 card faculty dummy hand in real time of course have to drop a card if you take one.

And another where we picked up cards blind then returned them blind until one of us was in a position to claim.

Seemed to work quite well.

The latter seemed better

This is actually a damn fine game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds interesting, but unfortunately I do not really understand how both methods work.
Could you please let me knoe some more details?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Ridge
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish it was still in print! I played this at a convention last year and loved it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.