Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Playing cards JUST for the experience points - how do people feel about it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So last session (bunch of level 6 characters, and one level 3 character) we ended up doing a few scenarios, and it's fair to say we've found our stride and weren't struggling too hard with winning the missions.

And, as such, we looked to extract all we could from the maps - finding extra time to stop off and loot the coins, and to get a few extra experience (indeed, in a couple of the sessions, someone had a battle goal to get a certain amount of experience).

Give the battle goal to reach a certain level of experience is a double-tick goal, it feel like it should be one of the harder goals. And yeah, for most of us, we were playing various attacks / powers that had and experience point reward (yes, on a separate line to the attack, so the attack is not required to get it) and not doing the action - because had we attacked, we might have killed the last creature and ended the battle.

At the end of scenarios, we've started throwing the "one-shot, 2 experience points" cards away, without any target, just to ensure we get a bit of extra experience. Which means as missions get a little easier, it opens up more opportunities to just farm experience. Ironically, struggling less in a missions gives us the chance to earn more experience.

How do people feel about "playing a card just for the experience"?

I'm thinking of discussing house-ruling it out of our games, but I understand there are sometimes valid reasons to "skip a line" on an action card. But skipping all the lines, except the experience reward line, feels a bit like cheating to me...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grey Fox
Portugal
Sintra
Sintra
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I mainly think that it is against the rules.

You need to use at least one of the actions listed on the card to get the XP.

So yeah, it feels like cheating to you, because it actually is cheating.

But if that wasn't the case, I would see no problem with it.


Here's the rule:
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah - had read lots about how some lines require the attack / whatever to happen to earn the XP written on that line - but missed that rule about abilities cannot JUST be played the the XP line.

Well good. I hate house-rules; if they are needed it stinks of bad game design most often. But knowing cards can't be played just for XP by the rules as written works out very nicely.

Thanks for the reply, and link to the line in the rules - very much appreciated.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
An addendum to the response. An ability with a target (eg attack, loot) cannot be used of no target exists.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrianna O'Shea
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
You don't have to do everything on the card, you're allowed to skip some stuff (as long as they're not negative effects, you must always do negative effects). But you have to do SOMETHING from the card to get the xp.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Have you though about increasing the difficulty?

The tighter the game is the better.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkmancer wrote:
Have you though about increasing the difficulty?

The tighter the game is the better.


It used to be really tight - I think it's because we got to the end of a quest path (e.g. did a quest that didn't unlock new locations) so we finally went back to some unlocked quests that were quite old. They seemed remarkably easy now, compared to when we were lower level - whilst the foes are level 3, they are "easier" monsters than some of the newer, and more dangerous monsters we'd been fighting.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantomwhale wrote:
... we were playing various attacks / powers that had and experience point reward (yes, on a separate line to the attack, so the attack is not required to get it) and not doing the action - because had we attacked, we might have killed the last creature and ended the battle.


I'm not following-- can you spoiler tag some of the cards you were playing like this? Class name/car name/top|bottom.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esther Pettigrew
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
Phantomwhale wrote:
Darkmancer wrote:
Have you though about increasing the difficulty?

The tighter the game is the better.


It used to be really tight - I think it's because we got to the end of a quest path (e.g. did a quest that didn't unlock new locations) so we finally went back to some unlocked quests that were quite old. They seemed remarkably easy now, compared to when we were lower level - whilst the foes are level 3, they are "easier" monsters than some of the newer, and more dangerous monsters we'd been fighting.

Maybe it’s time to crank up the difficulty level for more opportunities to get gold and XP
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just did this the other day and I want to make sure it was fine.

Cragheart Level 2 card
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Explosive Punch wrote:
Explosive Punch
Destroy one adjacent obstacle
Attack 4
Target all enemies adjacent to the destroyed obstacle
Infuse Earth, 2 XP


I did have an obstacle to destroy, but the enemy I was hoping to target was the last one and he died from an earlier attack in that round. I still destroyed the target and infused Earth to gain the 2 XP. That's fine, right?

How about if I didn't have an adjacent obstacle? Could I just lose the card to infuse Earth and gain 2 XP, since infusing Earth is one of the abilities on it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My opinion:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The card requires you to destroy an adjacent obstacle. If there is no adjacent obstacle to destroy, you have to use that as a basic "Attack 2" or "Move 2" action instead of performing the card text. Which means no Earth infusion, and no XP either.


Dexter345 wrote:
Just did this the other day and I want to make sure it was fine.

Cragheart Level 2 card
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Explosive Punch wrote:
Explosive Punch
Destroy one adjacent obstacle
Attack 4
Target all enemies adjacent to the destroyed obstacle
Infuse Earth, 2 XP


I did have an obstacle to destroy, but the enemy I was hoping to target was the last one and he died from an earlier attack in that round. I still destroyed the target and infused Earth to gain the 2 XP. That's fine, right?

How about if I didn't have an adjacent obstacle? Could I just lose the card to infuse Earth and gain 2 XP, since infusing Earth is one of the abilities on it?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Just did this the other day and I want to make sure it was fine.

Cragheart Level 2 card
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Explosive Punch wrote:
Explosive Punch
Destroy one adjacent obstacle
Attack 4
Target all enemies adjacent to the destroyed obstacle
Infuse Earth, 2 XP


I did have an obstacle to destroy, but the enemy I was hoping to target was the last one and he died from an earlier attack in that round. I still destroyed the target and infused Earth to gain the 2 XP. That's fine, right?

How about if I didn't have an adjacent obstacle? Could I just lose the card to infuse Earth and gain 2 XP, since infusing Earth is one of the abilities on it?


1) the xp and element does not appear to be linked to the attack to me.

2) You would need the adjacent obstacle, that appears to be a requirement for that action.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.