Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are sleeves necessary for the political cards?

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
During setup you shuffle small stacks of five cards, so there is not much wear on the cards. Unless you like to sleeve every game, I don't think Lisboa needs it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info! I think they will go unsleeved for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Dorward
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main cards for each period, perhaps, as they are held in hand and also tucked under the board (chance of catching = wear). But not the decree cards which are not handled much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrumPhil wrote:
During setup you shuffle small stacks of five cards, so there is not much wear on the cards. Unless you like to sleeve every game, I don't think Lisboa needs it.

As a counterpoint this is a game that has players constantly handling and going through their hand of cards though granted it's nothing like deckbuilding level of wear.

I haven't sleeved mine but for a game this expensive I'm sure many will choose to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I immediately sleeved them, but then I'm a sleeved by default. More objectively, I do think people hold cards long enough to warrant it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mate Horvath
Hungary
Budapest
Pest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too expensive of a game to not sleeve them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörg Schröder
Germany
Kassel
flag msg tools
"The game is out there, and it's either play, or get played. That simple." (Omar)
badge
"The game is out there, and it's either play, or get played. That simple." (Omar)
mbmbmbmbmb
Players tend to have the cards in their hands all the time. That is why I sleeved them as well.

I did not sleeve The Gallerist and the contract cards look awful by now...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. I think they may stay sleeved after all!

Thanks for everyone's replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up sleeving the larger cards (with FFG Gray sleeves) and leaving the smaller decree cards unsleeved.

I figured since you would be regularly handling the larger ones it would make sense. The smaller decree cards aren't really handled much so I didn't think it was necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ag0n1st wrote:
I ended up sleeving the larger cards (with FFG Gray sleeves) and leaving the smaller decree cards unsleeved.

I figured since you would be regularly handling the larger ones it would make sense. The smaller decree cards aren't really handled much so I didn't think it was necessary.

I had a couple of hundred of the FFG Grey's and just used those. Got lucky!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Schlepphorst
msg tools
I sleeved them immediately, but subsequently unsleeved them. The sleeves can catch on the player boards when siding under (annoying). The card finish is very nice and sleeves detract from look/feel. And, I doubt I can get this to the table enough to worry about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread isn't helping! Too many good points for both sides.

Now I have no idea what I should do...

But worry not, fair followers. I'll figure something out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like others said, the political cards are handled enough that I felt justified in sleeving them. Helps with ease of shuffling as well.

I didn't sleeve the boats.

I sleeved the decree cards 1) to prevent identifying marks, although there are so many that the risk of that affecting the game seems minimal, but 2) mainly because they were a real hassle to shuffle unsleeved. After my years spent playing M:tG, which ended over a decade ago, it feels awkward trying to shuffle many types of cards unsleeved, and smaller cards are typically more onerous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Next Game Please
England
Frome
Somerset
flag msg tools
Find a Friend
badge
Next Game Please
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeved the lot. they did not handle at all well IMO, and stuck together as well.

I've had much better cards - still in a linen feel - from Ludicreations, which were perfect for feel and shuffling.

Like most of Lisboa, they are over-produced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Freire
Brazil
Florianópolis
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you manage to put the sleeved cards in the insert? As I saw the space is very limited and fit the cards without sleeeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
victorwfreire wrote:
Did you manage to put the sleeved cards in the insert? As I saw the space is very limited and fit the cards without sleeeves.

No, I couldn't use the insert with the sleeves.

What I did was put the ships, red cards, and blue cards in one bag. The rest of the cards went in a second bag. The large wells were perfect for storing the bagged cards with another small component bag.

I put the player pieces in small bags and put those four bags where the cards would have gone if they were not sleeved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Freire
Brazil
Florianópolis
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathstroke wrote:
victorwfreire wrote:

No, I couldn't use the insert with the sleeves.

What I did was put the ships, red cards, and blue cards in one bag. The rest of the cards went in a second bag. The large wells were perfect for storing the bagged cards with another small component bag.

I put the player pieces in small bags and put those four bags where the cards would have gone if they were not sleeved.

Great! I'll do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Old thread but I sleeved the politic cards/boats but not the decrees. They slide just find under my portfolio. I also was able to still fit them in the insert sleeved. I used Ultra Pros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.