Evolution» Forums » Rules

Subject: Intelligent carnivore question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cody Smiley
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
My fiance and I were playing a 2 player game and I had an intelligent carnivore with a bs 5 ps 3, she had a defensive herding warning call on the right (bs 3, ps 5) and a symbiotic long neck on the left (bs 2, ps 4), would both of those defensive traits next to each other like that negate the intelligence buff? Or would I have to burn 2 cards to ignore both traits for only 1 successful attack?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the game and this group!

To answer your question, you'd need to discard two cards in order for your Intelligence to negate the two defensive traits.

Remember: you're not only negating a single instance of a particular defensive trait in that round, but you're negating every instance of that particular trait that's in play for that round!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:
Remember: you're not only negating a single instance of a particular defensive trait in that round, but you're negating every instance of that particular trait that's in play for that round!

When you say "round" do you mean that if my carnivore disables warning call on an opponent, my own warning call has also been disabled making me easier to attack?

And that all of my carnivores can attack any creatures around the table formerly protected by warning call, for merely the cost of 1 card for my entire turn, not 1 card per attack?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainbow Snake wrote:
Thud105 wrote:

When you say "round" do you mean that if my carnivore disables warning call on an opponent, my own warning call has also been disabled making me easier to attack?

And that all of my carnivores can attack any creatures around the table formerly protected by warning call, for merely the cost of 1 card for my entire turn, not 1 card per attack?

No. With an attacking carnivore with the Intelligence trait, one card played by the the carnivore negates one defensive trait of one animal for one attack. If the carnivore attacks again, it must play another card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the rules wrote:
If the species with Intelligence is a Carnivore, each card discarded negates all
copies of 1 Trait Card for the species’ next attack (for instance, if Warning Call
is on both sides of a species or if there are multiple copies of Scavenger in play).

So it looks like I was playing it right, it's just for the next (ie current) attack, not for the whole round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "every instance" idea wasn't applicable to the OP; it was just a clarification. It can be important in the case of Warning Call (if a species is protected by Warning Call on both sides, an Intelligent Carnivore only has to discard one card to negate both Warning Calls).

Back to the OP: the Intelligent Carnivore would have to discard two cards to attack the species protected by both Warning Call and Symbiosis, but only one card to attack the species protected only by Defensive Herding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elcoderdude wrote:
The "every instance" idea wasn't applicable to the OP; it was just a clarification. It can be important in the case of Warning Call (if a species is protected by Warning Call on both sides, an Intelligent Carnivore only has to discard one card to negate both Warning Calls).

I disagree. As I read the rule, if a species is protected by Warning Call traits by the species to its left and right, two cards must be played to negate both Warning Call traits for one attack. One card cannot negate the defensive trait on two different species simultaneously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
elcoderdude wrote:

I disagree. As I read the rule, if a species is protected by Warning Call traits by the species to its left and right, two cards must be played to negate both Warning Call traits for one attack. One card cannot negate the defensive trait on two different species simultaneously.

I completely understand why you might think so. But you're wrong.
Dominic has said as much on another thread, I think, although in a quick search I can't find it.
Regardless:
Climate rulebook p.11 wrote:
If the species with Intelligence is a Carnivore, each card discarded negates all copies of 1 defensive trait for this species’ current attack.

See the rulebook at rulebook url.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
more ON
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Current rules linked on NSG's website: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0283/4324/files/Evolution-...

Quote:
If the species with Intelligence is a Carnivore, each card discarded
negates all copies of 1 defensive trait for this species’ current attack.

It's fairly clear these days.

Edit: Apparently opening several threads, then reading them leads to being beaten to the punch with answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elcoderdude wrote:
Eldard wrote:
elcoderdude wrote:

Dominic has said as much on another thread, I think, although in a quick search I can't find it.
Regardless:
If the species with Intelligence is a Carnivore, each card discarded negates all copies of 1 defensive trait for this species’ current attack.

THe way I read it, the defensive trait belongs to the species that possess the Warning Call card. But if that's not what the designer actually clarifies, then I stand corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still didn't find an explicit statement by Dom, but there are multiple threads of posters opining Intelligence negates multiple copies of the same trait when a Carnivore discards a card for it. You'd think by now North Star would have corrected at least one of those threads if this was incorrect.

I did find this interesting post from Dom in the thread that added "defensive" to the Intelligence rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Official answer:

elcoderdude wrote:
Eldard wrote:
elcoderdude wrote:

Regardless:

moreON wrote:
Current rules linked on NSG's website: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0283/4324/files/Evolution-...

Quote:
If the species with Intelligence is a Carnivore, each card discarded
negates all copies of 1 defensive trait for this species’ current attack.

It's fairly clear these days.

Edit: Apparently opening several threads, then reading them leads to being beaten to the punch with answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainbow Snake wrote:
the rules wrote:
If the species with Intelligence is a Carnivore, each card discarded negates all
copies of 1 Trait Card for the species’ next attack (for instance, if Warning Call
is on both sides of a species or if there are multiple copies of Scavenger in play).

So it looks like I was playing it right, it's just for the next (ie current) attack, not for the whole round.

Your rules quote is exactly what I was saying. You discard one card and it negates ALL COPIES of that card in play during your feeding turn. I did accidentally say round, I apologize for that misspeak because then I can see how it would have added confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
more ON
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
THe way I read it, the defensive trait belongs to the species that possess the Warning Call card. But if that's not what the designer actually clarifies, then I stand corrected.

Sure. However, the species that controls a defensive trait to negate is never referenced in the intelligence rules. It's just not a thing.

There's a further hint because it mentions all copies of a trait, and a single species can't have more than one copy of a trait. The rules are enough, this hint isn't required for the understanding, it's just a nice reminder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.