Champions of Midgard» Forums » General

Subject: Is This Game Really Better than Lords of Waterdeep? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tom Vasel said the expansions elevated it above LoW, and since I love LoW (with the exp.), you can imagine my interest was piqued!

If you think it is better, can you explain why?

Also, is the game harder to teach than LoW?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Lords of Waterdeep and have played it many times, while I have only played Champions with expansions once, but that one time was absolutely wonderful.

Champions beats Waterdeep in looks and theme (fantasy Nordic), while it injects fun and a bit of tension with dice rolling.

Waterdeep is more Euro-y, so it may be a bit tighter in what you can predictably plan for, and I do enjoy how the Intrigue cards give you choice of aiding at least one other players or letting the other players make the choice of how much to aid you. The mandatory quests could be annoying for some, but knowing they exist, you just keep them in mind and hopefully you don't have players that just target one particular adversary.

I'm not getting rid of Waterdeep, so Champions is not making it obsolete, but Champions does seem more fun and more splashy on the table, though it may take longer to play due to dice rolling and dice-based commentary (bragging, mockery, woohoos, etc.)

Do give it a try. I vacilated on playing the base game because I was not sure how much fun it would really be, but once the expansions came out, I could not wait and I'm glad that's how I experienced the game the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert VanEssen
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both and love both! I think for most people it comes down to the dice rolling.
There's no real luck in Waterdeep, so it plays more like a Euro. You take quests, place your workers and complete the quests.
Champions has that press your luck feel with the warriors. Load them on a boat, roll for the fight and good luck! You can mitigate bad rolls to some extent, but the best players are just the right level of aggressive.

I think Waterdeep is slightly easier to teach. But they are so close, it really comes down to those dice for which one is better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. I have noooo problem with dice

I'm going through a purge right now, and ended up selling my still in shrink copy of CoM just cause I never got around to playing it. I may have to keep an eye out for it.

Does it ever go on sale? What's a good price for it? What about the expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like my euros to have some theme, so CoM beats LoW every time if I have to choose between them.

That said, I think they're two very different games and the comparison isn't fair. They only thing they have in common is the worker placement mechanic, so there's room for both in any gamer's library.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still feel the better comparison for Champions of Midgard is not Lords of Waterdeep but Stoneage and in that case (especially now with the expansion) Champions of Midgard to me is a more interesting game.

I still prefer Lords of Waterdeep over both of them but really feel they are not really that directly similar to not both have their merits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One is not better than the other. They are quite different. But I actually think Lords of Waterdeep with the expansion is BETTER than Champions of Midgard (with or without expansions).

Midgard has more 'stuff' with the expansions though and is more luck heavy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike George
United States
Smithville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games have their niche, I own them both but love Lords of Water deep a little more, but I will not give up Champions of Midgard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crane
United Kingdom
Sandbach
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both games and enjoy playing both regularly. They're significantly different enough from each other to warrant owning both in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon wih
msg tools
mbmbmb
I can definitely say that it is a more fun game compared to Lords of Waterdeep. It being 'better' kinda comes back more to personal taste, but I love Champions of Midgard alot more. I was also highly skeptical of the whole 'roll-to-score' mechanism like most of the people that are against the game, but boy was I super wrong.

Here are some reasons why I think this game is so much better:
+ It has got a sandbox feel to it. My friend also said that the game has a lot more choices. Lords of Waterdeep just seems more linear in comparison, which leads me to my next point.

+ Risk-reward / unpredictability. You can also control the risk-reward part of the game. If you're feeling lucky you can assign one dice to a battle, or lots of dice instead if you dont wanna take the risk, it is YOUR choice. I really like this variability compared to LoWD (or any euro game) where you get fixed points for fixed sources. I really do believe that people who complains of the dice screwing them, either has not played the game, or just blames the game for their bad choices because..

+ There is luck mitigation in the game. From viewing your journey cards to re-rolls, it's all there. The Valhalla expansion is perhaps the ultimate luck mitigation, where your dead warriors becomes another resource. The journey/encounter cards before battle are also not that bad, you're gonna at max lose a combination of 2 of either food or warriors. Placing extra resources on the boat really does not hurt your game much.

+ Unique character powers that LoWD lack

+ Has actual theme plus colourful art and board

Overall, people get scared because this game falls between euro and amerithrash, but that is exactly what I like. There are more risk/reward choices that can be mitigated (more so with the expansion). Great theme and art, and really just perfect for me at least. I cannot recommend you this enough. I've got some stuff I like in LoW like intrigue and buildings, but overall CoM is still the better game imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Champions again over the weekend and the group still loves it. I asked them if it replaces Lords of Waterdeep and they disagreed. The consensus is that they are different enough to have both in rotation. There ya go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.