Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith D
Japan
Iwaki
Fukishima
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Background:
This game was one of my most early adventures into board games. Much like many other people I was introduced to board games through Will Wheaton (who gets a bunch of flak for some reason.) This artistically beautiful game was simple enough for my amateur brain to understand and play. It made its debut with a few friends at a small bar during a really bad snowfall. The first time I peeled the plastic off of this game was in a snow covered Irish pub with my friends and the bartender being the only ones in the building. Perfect.

The Game:
As always, I will gloss over this since if you want to know how it plays there are tons of online videos and ‘what nots’ to find. The theme of the game is, have a great vacation. You acquire victory points by traveling to different locations alone a set path on the game board. The thing that makes this game unique is that the one who is furthers back on the pathway goes next. The game comes down to do I skip ahead and grab what I want or do I hope I can take a shorter rout and have that spot open for me later on. The game has a set collector element to it that makes the game a tad more diverse and each character has a special ability.

Components:
Great quality! Not next level but far above some other games I have run into.

My impressions of the game:
This game is good, not great but good. It is wonderful for opening the door to gaming but it really stops there. This is a great game to pull out for when you don’t want to do the thinky thinky bits of gaming. It is also wonderful for introducing new players to the game. The biggest issue is replayability. Now I know there are expansions but I don’t love this game enough that I need to have them. This game runs smooth and gives you that warm board game feels but it stops there. I don’t believe I ever have or ever will brag about my nail biting victory in Tokaido. This game isn’t bad, in fact I enjoy playing it but I prefer to almost use it as a filler game.

Stats:
Rating:
Difficulty: 2.5/10
Replayability: 5.5/10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we like it
I bought my wife the Collectors Edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fiona MacDonald
Taiwan
flag msg tools
I too first played this in a pub. In Scotland. I finally bought it for myself this week. I went back the very next day to purchase the expansions.

My group has played it twice and we'll be playing it with the expansions today. We tend to go for heavier games, but something peaceful and non-thinky after three hours of Gaia Project is perfect. Sometimes gaming is just about being with people.

Although I really like it as is, I think the expansions will add a lot. Being able to gamble rather than work in order to earn money, for example.

And the art is amazing. It's probably part of why I like the game so much. The fact that it goes up to five players is a bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.