Subject: Question re: Plasma Gun & Card 117 *Spoilers* rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry R
msg tools
Hello,

Quest Objective 1 on Card 117 is "Kill any enemy with a loot icon."

My weapon is the Plasma Gun, which states "Ignore the loot icon on enemies."

So, if I kill an enemy with a loot icon via the Plasma Gun, does that satisfy the Quest Objective?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Carroll
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say no. Whatever you were looking for has just been vaporised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selina Ryan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i'd say yes, you just don't get the loot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Roszhart
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
sinisterselina wrote:
i'd say yes, you just don't get the loot

Definitely this. The plasma gun doesn't actually remove the loot icon off the enemy, it just tells you to ignore it. The quest says kill an enemy WITH loot icon, meaning just having that icon on the enemy token satisfies.

Edit: but ignore the icon when you normally resolve the looting, which takes place AFTER killing the enemy in the fight sequence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
RAW, I absolutely agree with Selina and Jordan.

But RAI or RFI (rules for immersion), I 100% side with David and would house rule it accordingly.

Actually, I'm going to go devil's advocate and walk back what I just typed.

The plasma gun says, as you stated, "ignore the loot icon on enemies". There's absolutely no reason why that can't be interpreted as "treat the enemy as if it doesn't have a loot icon for all purposes" (this effect of course applying only to the person with the equipped plasma gun). Which means that, no, even RAW you couldn't trigger that quest using a plasma gun. After all, the gun doesn't say "ignore the effect of the loot icon", it says to ignore the icon itself.

This has the added benefit of being thematically consistent for reasons David already mentioned. So satisfying. Much good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Carroll
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I agree that the effect of the card isn't constrained to just a post-combat looting action, but at all times.

To me the real argument is whether you can decide not to use the gun. If you have it equipped but declare beforehand that you aren't using it (thus no re-rolls, no range) can you loot as usual? The rules probably don't support that, but it seems okay to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can simply rearrange your equipped weapon at the start of your turn, but just declaring you are not using it doesnt seem possible.

I would say that if the flavour text on the quest requires you to retrieve something from the target then definitely using the plasma gun would make it impossible, but if no retrieval is needed i would allow it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashamel wrote:
I would say no. Whatever you were looking for has just been vaporised.

While this is logical, in the game, items are NOT vaporized in any fallout videogame I've played. EVERYTHING is there, even though the enemy is a pile of dust. Strange, but true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.