Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this has been asked and answered... been reading the forums and FAQ for the past 90 mins and haven't found this.

The scenario I'm asking about does not involve disadvantage from melee attack with a ranged weapon. It is simply a question of whether Archers (or other ranged attackers) will ever move away from enemies (player characters) simply because they can?

Example: Archer is 2 hexes away from the Brute (e.g. has an empty hex between them). The Archer has range 3 and movement 2 between base abilities and modifier card. The Archer has an empty hex "behind" it where it could move and still perform its ranged attack. Is there ever a scenario where the Archer would perform this move or would it just stay put at range 2 and attack from there?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ziemer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the archer had a target 2 card in play it may move 1 space away from the brute to maximize it's atk if that brought it into range of a second target but otherwise, no it will just stay put and fire at the brute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Matt said, they will mostly just stay put. Monsters are lazy and will move as little as possible while still optimizing their attack. So if they can attack from 2 hexes away (even though their range is 5) they'll attack from where they stand.
Similarly, if you summon a decoy or harmless contraption, it'll run at the nearest monster and just stay by his side, 'til death does them part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! We were playing wrong and making ranged enemies more difficult to kill. This should help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Mann
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zjhomrighaus wrote:
Thanks! We were playing wrong and making ranged enemies more difficult to kill. This should help!

I love that they don't kite us, because I'd be afraid of exactly this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wordupsucka wrote:
zjhomrighaus wrote:

I love that they don't kite us, because I'd be afraid of exactly this.

Yeah, in practice it just meant they were sitting in the back of every room taking pot-shots while we killed everything else and then we had to pin them in a corner and take them out. Probably helps explain why we got waxed in the 3rd room we played.. our deck were pretty thin by then because of extra effort and more damage taken in the first 2 rooms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filthy Gringo
Australia
flag msg tools
I wondered about this after discussing with someone else playing Gloomhaven. He had no problems killing the archers, but I was wasting countless turns pinning them down and finishing them off.

Thanks for this clarification, that makes life much easier!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules on Monster Movement are that the monster moves the minimum distance that it needs to move in order to get within range to attack with its current attack. This does not allow monsters with ranged attacks to "pull back" or perform kiting manoeuvres.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.