Subject: 20,000 Leagues Finale, clarity on losing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
The problem in the equation is people. Eliminate that, everything works.
mbmbmbmbmb
The FAQ says "• 20,000 Leagues under the Seas (Finale) [correction]: Technically, you Fail this Finale if you garner a negative Character VP score from it; otherwise you Pass this Finale. This distinction is important if you have also acquired the Captain Nemo’s Diaries (Adventure) card."

but it still leaves me a bit confused.

So if I had 14 Pass cards and 15 Fail cards so I automatically fail, am defeated, have no need to count victory points, yes? I would only count victory points if I had at least 15 Pass cards to go with my 15 Fail cards, right?

For some reason the word "technically" throws me off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Erni
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
The FAQ says "• 20,000 Leagues under the Seas (Finale) [correction]: Technically, you Fail this Finale if you garner a negative Character VP score from it; otherwise you Pass this Finale. This distinction is important if you have also acquired the Captain Nemo’s Diaries (Adventure) card."

but it still leaves me a bit confused.

So if I had 14 Pass cards and 15 Fail cards so I automatically fail, am defeated, have no need to count victory points, yes? I would only count victory points if I had at least 15 Pass cards to go with my 15 Fail cards, right?

You would lose 1 VP if you ended with 14 Pass, 15 Fail (as well as having a more difficult "Dairies" resolution). I see how the word "technically" could "throw you", but losing VP's is quite possible with this card (and other game cards/situations).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:

They say "technically" because it doesn't matter unless you also have the Diaries card, which is the only one that is resolved after the Finale, and is harder if you failed the Finale. Otherwise, all that matters is how many VPs you gain or lose from the Finale.

You are not automatically defeated if you fail it. Failing the Finale is no more important than failing any other Test.

It just so happens the Diaries Test is harder if you have failed the Finale. But ultimately winning and losing is a matter of avoiding Imperialist Victory, avoiding having one of your ship Resources go all the way down, and getting enough VPs at the end. Failing a Test never makes you lose in and of itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
The problem in the equation is people. Eliminate that, everything works.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, clarity achieved! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.