26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Does anyone ever NOT go back to Gloomhaven between scenarios? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Ackland
msg tools
My group tend to completely ignore linked scenarios and go back to Gloomhaven after every scenario. There's always someone who needs to level up, or go shopping, or donate to the church. Going back every time also means we're more likely to see most of the event cards, which seems like a no-brainer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ziemer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. We do just stay and do linked scenarios on rare occasions if there really is no reason to go back and we just want to hurry up and not worry about events. I think if road events were more harsh it'd be used more but as is, it's pretty rare that a road event hurts enough to warrant not going back to gloomhaven.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that there is nothing but upside for going back to Gloomhaven, I don't know why you wouldn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never go back. Gloomhaven's a wretched hive of scum and villainy, my good-aligned characters stay away as much as they can get away with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play solo, returning Gloomhaven when you have enough XP means level up. It's not always interesting level up in solo:

two characters levels = Monster level
1/1 = 2
2/1 = 2
2/2 = 2
3/2 = 3
3/3 = 3

Whith level 2 characters, when 1 of your character gain one level, it's interesting to follow linked scenario to try to have your second one reaching the same level without fighting level 3 monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninja 'd by sedenta.

Sometimes you can avoid fighting harder monsters (+ resolving a possible hurtful Road Event) by following linked scenarios instead of leveling a single character up which will only give you a minor advantage compared to raising the difficulty level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedenta wrote:
I play solo, returning Gloomhaven when you have enough XP means level up. It's not always interesting level up in solo:

1/1 = 2
2/1 = 2
2/2 = 2
3/2 = 3
3/3 = 3

Whith level 2 characters, when 1 of your character gain one level, it's interesting to follow linked scenario to try to have your second one reaching the same level without fighting level 3 monsters.

Pg 42 of the rulebook says when you have enough xp you must level up. I always took this to mean a trip to Gloomhaven is not optional once a character has enough xp to level up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ziemer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thebaker1983 wrote:
sedenta wrote:

1/1 = 2
2/1 = 2
2/2 = 2
3/2 = 3
3/3 = 3

Pg 42 of the rulebook says when you have enough xp you must level up. I always took this to mean a trip to Gloomhaven is not optional once a character has enough xp to level up.

It means you have to lvl up when you go to gloomhaven. You can avoid lvling up by avoiding gloomhaven. Personally I'm always excited to lvl up and get perks and ability cards but everyone's different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I dont go back if i dont need to level up or if i dont have enough money to buy anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
EventHorizon wrote:
Given that there is nothing but upside for going back to Gloomhaven, I don't know why you wouldn't.

I wouldn't say there's nothing but upside. If you're doing a linked scenario, you can avoid a road event by not going back. That said, it's a minor downside compared to the benefits of returning to Gloomhaven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Brenner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sometimes, I try to play up the theme of a scenario link. I really like maximizing story in games, so if it's something like a portal opened up, it feels weird thematically for me to say: "Nah, we'll leave for a few days and come explore it later."

Mostly though, there's level ups or items or donations that need to be done, so back to Gloomhaven is usually the call. Would be interesting if there was some other benefit besides just skipping a Road Scenario, like you start the next scenario with advantage because your battle sense has already been heightened, or you can try to earn your current battle goal again because you are still in that "mood" ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
EventHorizon wrote:

I wouldn't say there's nothing but upside. If you're doing a linked scenario, you can avoid a road event by not going back. That said, it's a minor downside compared to the benefits of returning to Gloomhaven.

Yeah, the Road Events can suck. We don't always return, but it really depends on whether anyone has enough money to buy anything OR is ready to level up. We play 2p, and we don't donate to the church as often as we should. I always have big plans for my money. We've seen most if not all of the City Events, so that's not particularly enticing...and some of the Road Events can really suck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Quimbey
United States
Santa Fe
New Mexico
flag msg tools
The monster level is tied to the scenario level. The SL is the average level of the party divided by 2 rounded up. So two characters level 3 would be 6/2=3/2=1.5=2. So scenario level and monster level 2 for normal, not 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Entrox Licher
msg tools
coffeedude wrote:
The monster level is tied to the scenario level. The SL is the average level of the party divided by 2 rounded up. So two characters level 3 would be 6/2=3/2=1.5=2. So scenario level and monster level 2 for normal, not 3.

Ah, sorry, but he’s actually right on this one. He specified he was playing solo, which means he uses the solo difficulty adjustment (next level’s monster level and trap damage with same gold conversion and XP bonus).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedenta wrote:

1/1 = 2
2/1 = 2
2/2 = 2
3/2 = 3
3/3 = 3

You know that what level scenario you play is entirely up to you, right? That formula is just a recommendation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kortegaard
Denmark
Kbh N
flag msg tools
Not normally for my group. The incentive of city events, buying and levelling get us back to town.

Done it once on purpose, because it delayed a retirement, and made a full group retirement possible (3 people).

That said, the road events can suck. My group has failed two times (maybe three?) in around twenty done, and one was partially related to a bad road event. We decided to stay to avoid drawing a new one and there was no benefit of a return to Gloomhaven.

We usually do two scenarios per session, and if we wanted to speed up, you could argue that delaying the Gloomhaven visit when possible could take out some downtime. (less chance of staggered level-ups and perk choices, no extra events, less ooing and ahing over items, more forced progression of scenarios).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Our party tries to avoid returning to Gloomhaven, unless someone wants to buy/level/bless/etc.
The main reason for this is thematic: If we already know what scenario we want to play next, we don't want to get an event that draws us in to another scenario that, logically, the characters would follow before continuing the original story.
Makes for a tighter narrative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
If we fail a scenario, we will usually not go back to town, unless someone levels or retires. The Road events greatly outweigh whatever minor thing the City event gives you. Starting with poison or 3 damage or whathaveyou, is worse than 5xp or coins or whatever you may get from the City deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:
EventHorizon wrote:

Yeah, the Road Events can suck. We don't always return, but it really depends on whether anyone has enough money to buy anything OR is ready to level up. We play 2p, and we don't donate to the church as often as we should. I always have big plans for my money. We've seen most if not all of the City Events, so that's not particularly enticing...and some of the Road Events can really suck.

Linked scenarios aren't common enough to factor in on many decisions. As you say, it's a minor downside, particularly compared to the upside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Barnes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I just finished the first scenario and are not planning on returning to Gloomhaven. We have yet to do a city event, which is probably a bad choice, but we don't see a need currently as we don't have a lot of gold and we don't have enough experience to level. We got lucky with our road event, and honestly, if we would have chosen differently, would have made a huge difference in the first scenario.

I have very little experience with the game, but just seeing that one road event makes me weary to get one when trying a scenario. I am curious to try out the city events though, win or lose, we will probably go back and check out town

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drak Tok
msg tools
Technically i think you were supposed to do a city event and road event at the start of the game as you started in town to get your quest, FYI

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Barnes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
draktok wrote:
Technically i think you were supposed to do a city event and road event at the start of the game as you started in town to get your quest, FYI

We did a road event, I thought city events were a "may". They wouldn't effect the scenario, I don't think, so maybe we should just do one retcon style.

EDIT:
Rulebook - City Events wrote:
Once per visit to Gloomhaven, a party may complete a city event. City events are functionally the same as road events, but are drawn from the city event deck and generally have better outcomes than road events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW I think the "may" is there to tell you that City events are "good", and the "must" is to tell you that Road events are "bad".

I don't intuitively grasp the mindset that declines to take a free surprise goody, but it's not a big deal, I just recommend taking one the next time you get the opportunity so you can at least find out what they're like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We also didn't do a City Event the first time as we were creating our characters, but I think it was more of a "let's learn the meat of the game before we mess with the dressing" kind of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oehler
msg tools
mb
Characters regularly purchasing blessings will want to return frequently. City events are usually good. Road events, while more often negative, are still different bits of content that players may want to see (and some of them have their positives). So yeah, we like returning all the time. Most road events aren't that bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.