Hide
7 Posts

Fleet Commander: Genesis» Forums » Rules

Subject: Long Range Attack & Multipoint Weapons rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian S
msg tools
Long range attacks allow you to play multiple attack (red) die to hit a target several squares away.

The destroyers' special ability, Multipoint Weapons, states:

An attack die roll used by a ship fitted with Multipoint Weapons ... may be used twice consecutively to ... fire up to 2 squares away, following the directions indicated by the die roll for each square crossed.

So, essentially, you spend 1 red attack dice to hit a target up to two squares away, obeying the directions on the dice rolled.

My question is, can you use the destroyer's Multipoint Weapons ability with multiple attack die, and chain together a very long range attack? For example, I roll 2 diagonal attack die, and I have a destroyer with an enemy ship 4 squares away diagonally. Could I play the two red die, with each one counting two squares per Multipoint Weapons, and attack that enemy ship four squares away?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Soundtheory wrote:
Long range attacks allow you to play multiple attack (red) die to hit a target several squares away.

An attack die roll used by a ship fitted with Multipoint Weapons ... may be used twice consecutively to ... fire up to 2 squares away, following the directions indicated by the die roll for each square crossed.

So, essentially, you spend 1 red attack dice to hit a target up to two squares away, obeying the directions on the dice rolled.

My question is, can you use the destroyer's Multipoint Weapons ability with multiple attack die, and chain together a very long range attack? For example, I roll 2 diagonal attack die, and I have a destroyer with an enemy ship 4 squares away diagonally. Could I play the two red die, with each one counting two squares per Multipoint Weapons, and attack that enemy ship four squares away?

Thank you!

No. I believe it has to be used as described.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I AM Not A Number
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soundtheory wrote:

Thank you!

I don't think so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it's to be used as two separate two range attacks, otherwise it would be too powerful. The only very long range attack is the Special Weapon mounted on a Battleship, the Prometheus Beam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S
msg tools
Wow, thanks for all the quick responses! I agree, it could be too powerful, but could not find anything that explicitly disallowed it.

Great to have clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soundtheory wrote:

Thank you!

That exact example was in the FAQ in the rules for Fleet Commander: Ignition. It was possible to do this. I do think that it is still possible, the actual rules do not state otherwise.

Fleet Commander: Ignition Rules wrote:
● Can I launch a distant attack 4 squares from a Destroyer with two red dice?
Yes. Play the dice twice, one after another, to make the attack «path». Do not
mix and match the directions.

/edit: link https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/106291/fleet-commander-ru...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since that particular wording is not in 'Genesis', it may be safe to assume it has been removed. While 'Ignition' was the precursor to 'Genesis', the new game effectively replaces it. There are other similar changes in 'Genesis' which add complexity over those seen in 'Ignition'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.