12 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Would 2 Scoundrels break the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ronald Cruz
msg tools
mbmb
About to start a campaign tomorrow night and I have 2 players, both 13 y/o, who both are REALLY set on being Scoundrels. They both have played the Scoundrel before and when I played through the Kickstarter scenarios with them they'd always argue over who got to play her.

Between us, we now have 2 copies of Gloomhaven, so we could theoretically have 2 Scoundrels in play. From people who have experienced the game... do you think this will lead to some not-so-fun consequences? Will some situations be too easy/too hard? (And I think our other classes will be the Cragheart and the Mindthief.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm no expert on the Scoundrel class, but I'd say it wouldn't hurt to try it out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wise
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's your game so you can do what you want but the rulebook says that there can only be one copy of each character class in play in any given scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it’s fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile Mulder
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I can't see it mattering much, and the scoundrel is cool, but seriously - the Mind Thief is way cooler! also it does some amazing stuff including some overlap with scoundrel and some unique abilities.

Regarding balance, there's some potential for strong combos with two scoundrels as they can both act on quick initiative and use adjacency bonuses from the other to kill stuff. But there's also a chance of the players stepping on eachother's toes since one has to get adjacent first. It's really not better than scoundrel + brute or any number of high dmg single target classes that combo well together in glass cannon style parties.

There's also a potential limitation with two scoundrels - they will both be great at looting, which is nice but it means they'll be competing for loot, and if they're the type of kids to fight over the class, they might fight over the loot too. Just something to be aware of as loot is important to the scoundrel's progression. There should still be enough to go around, but those chests may cause some hurt feelings, especially as some give awesome stuff and others are just duds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
having two scoudrels could mean that none of the other characters get much in terms of treasure. sucks to be them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Cruz
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the comments. I will bring up the concerns but leave it up to them. If it becomes unfun (e.g. we're not getting any loot!) or some problem comes up then we'll deal with it as it comes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
bobrossw wrote:
I can't see it mattering much, and the scoundrel is cool, but seriously - the Mind Thief is way cooler! also it does some amazing stuff including some overlap with scoundrel and some unique abilities.

This was almost exactly my first thought. "Why not go Mind Thief and Scoundrel?" The wife and I played this combo last night (she with straight damage scoundrel, me with support MT) and it's seriously fun, especially once they hit higher levels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esther Pettigrew
Canada
flag msg tools
The other issue with two scoundrels is it lowers the probability of successfully completing some Event cards. I’m thinking of the cards that require certain character or skills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I think would be seriously weighted in your favor would be boss encounters. Getting ganged up on by two Scoundrels would be devastating, damage-wise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
I think this would be a fun idea, and being able to play 2 chars of the same class simultaneously was one of the reasons, I got myself another copy of Gloomhaven. I did not have the chance to try it yet though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile Mulder
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Dexter345 wrote:
The only thing I think would be seriously weighted in your favor would be boss encounters. Getting ganged up on by two Scoundrels would be devastating, damage-wise.

I hope this doesn't spoil anything for you, but there's plenty of classes who can match the Scoundrel for Damage per Turn, so whatever amazing things you could do with two scoundrels you can probably duplicate at some point with the right unlocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.