Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Grogan
United States
Pasadena
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does destroying the Traprain Law Hillfort (2 withdrawn militia, 1 garrison) come at the loss of 7 raiders?

Escalade defense: (0.5)*(2+1) = 1.5 - this kills 3 raiders as raiders are halved during this phase
Storm: The three defenders in the hillfort (2 militia plus 1 garrison) deal 1 loss each (raiders no longer halved), for another 3 raider losses.

So - I get 6 losses while the playbook says 7. What am I missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where did you get the playbook?! Did you get your copy of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Grogan
United States
Pasadena
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes it arrived Thursday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reemer wrote:

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgane Gouyon-Rety
Canada
Montreal
QC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
keithgrogan wrote:
Why does destroying the Traprain Law Hillfort (2 withdrawn militia, 1 garrison) come at the loss of 7 raiders?

Escalade defense: (0.5)*(2+1) = 1.5 - this kills 3 raiders as raiders are halved during this phase
Storm: The three defenders in the hillfort (2 militia plus 1 garrison) deal 1 loss each (raiders no longer halved), for another 3 raider losses.

So - I get 6 losses while the playbook says 7. What am I missing?

You are not missing anything... The playbook is wrong here... :-(
You need 7 Raiders to capture a fully garrisoned Hillfort because indeed 6 will be killed and one must survive to capture the fort... Just checked this mistake dates back from the original storyboard of the example of play, can't believe Volko and I never saw it afterwards...

So in this case, 6 Raiders are killed, 3 survive, each carrying 1 Plunder (2 from the Region, 1 from the destroyed stronghold).

Note that there is the same mistake in the 3rd bullet (raid in Ordovices: 4 (not 3) Raiders survive, 3 of them carrying Plunder. At least we were consistent in our errors... :-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Grogan
United States
Pasadena
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marc - OK thanks a lot for the reply. This is my first venture into the COIN series so I wasn't entirely sure I hadn't missed some nuance.

Congratulations on the release, really looks a beauty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgane Gouyon-Rety
Canada
Montreal
QC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome! I hope you enjoy it! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.