Subject: Putting out initial trees during Setup rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sir Mark
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game rules seem pretty clear that during Setup's initial placement of your two starting trees, each player places 1 tree in player order, then each player places a second tree, again in player order.

This seems to cause a classic first player advantage problem that is usually solved by using reverse player order to place the second set of game pieces. Even good 'ole Catan does this when placing settlements.

My question is, why did the designer choose to honor player order for BOTH tree placements? Wouldn't it have been more balancing to place trees: Player 1, Player 2, Player 3, Player 4; then Player 4, Player 3, Player 2, Player 1?

There are two possibilities I can think of:
1. There's a very good reason why, in this game, it is equally (or perhaps MORE) fair/balancing to honor player order for both placements.

2. While it may hypothetically offer a SLIGHT advantage to the first player, it's so small that it just doesn't really matter and for this game it wasn't worth explaining a Reverse Player Order rule for Setup.

I haven't played the game enough to have a feel for whether or not either of the above possibilities are likely. Wondering if anyone can confirm one of them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg K
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi,
so we tried to play settlers style drafting once but did not like it.
I think there are a couple of things that make straight order better. The later you are in turn order, the earlier you will be start player when there is more light to spend. The way you want to place your trees seems to be dependent on your play position. Placing two trees in a row seems to be a too big advantage i.m.h.o.. Controlling a part of the board without others being able to intervene can often win you the game.
There are only three different spots to choose anyway: the corner spots, the middle spots and spots next to other trees. In a 4 player game the corner spots will be gone after 6 trees so somebody will have less choice anyway.
That is why i do not like the 4player game as much. So i guess my advice is do not play 4 players and it is not a problem .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.