Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: First Wargame - Recommendations Please! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John K
United States
Ellensburg
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Hello,

After being in the board game hobby for two years, I believe it is time to purchase my first wargame! Below is the criteria I am looking for. Thank you in advance for all the help.

Players: 1-4 (or 1-3), great with 2 (my wife would like to play and I think it would be neat if I could pull the game out with my gaming group as well)

Time Length: 90-120 mins (nothing over 150)

Time Period: WWII, something that has good historical context to dive into if we would like.

Wants from the game: First-timers will be playing this game, would like it to be somewhat accessible (explain rules in under 20-25 mins). Tough moral decisions that put you in the shoes of those you are controlling. I want the game to make you think about the situations each side was in during that time. Hoping players dive into the politics/consequences of their actions as well.

Please ask me more questions to narrow down recommendations if needed.

Games in collection that are played frequently (this may help narrow things down as well): Inis, Troyes, Great Western Trail, Vinhos, Pandemic Legacy 1, Yokohama, Battle Line, Fox in the forest.

Thank you for the help!
3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
Princeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Holdfast: Atlantic 1939-45
Memoir '44
Axis & Allies: D-Day
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44 + thumbsup
as Overlord resp. Breakthrough longer sessions
Playing that campaign or that e.g. will result in outcomes influencing the next scenarios.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no such game, and it's not even close. You will need to move up in rules complexity and playing time, or lose the "tough moral decisions" and "politics/consequences" criteria.

With those modifications, the simpler Quartermaster General might work. The more complex but not yet released Cataclysm: A Second World War would fit.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neill
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
freightrain12 wrote:
Hello,

After being in the board game hobby for two years, I believe it is time to purchase my first wargame! Below is the criteria I am looking for. Thank you in advance for all the help.

Players: 1-4 (or 1-3), great with 2 (my wife would like to play and I think it would be neat if I could pull the game out with my gaming group as well)

Time Length: 90-120 mins (nothing over 150)

Time Period: WWII, something that has good historical context to dive into if we would like.

Wants from the game: First-timers will be playing this game, would like it to be somewhat accessible (explain rules in under 20-25 mins). Tough moral decisions that put you in the shoes of those you are controlling. I want the game to make you think about the situations each side was in during that time. Hoping players dive into the politics/consequences of their actions as well.


I started with Memoir 44 as others have recommended (and daresay it's my favourite game), but recently added Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer to my collection. It's set on the Eastern Front during WW2. It plays well solo and would shine with 2. The only thing is it doesn't play above 2 (I mean you could divide up units?), so using it with your group is probably out. It's a squad level game, which I think adds a bit of weight to your decisions - you're not moving huge and impersonal divisions from one part of Russia to another, but moving groups of soldiers from building to building. The scenarios come with a page of historical information which is cool, and would give you the historical context you like.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Quartermaster General. It's accessible and quickly playing, but still gives a good WWII strategy feel, and the wooden pieces and cards will feel more familiar/comfortable to people who've primarily played Euros before.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Tim Parker
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir 44. Deep, easy to learn, interesting, and enough to keep you playing for years.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John K
United States
Ellensburg
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Dieroll Honker wrote:
There is no such game, and it's not even close. You will need to move up in rules complexity and playing time, or lose the "tough moral decisions" and "politics/consequences" criteria.

With those modifications, the simpler Quartermaster General might work. The more complex but not yet released Cataclysm: A Second World War would fit.


Alright - let’s move up complexity, anything that fits in that length of time? Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The real trick here is to support 3-4 players; most wargames are designed for 2 players. I did an advanced search looking for 4 player WWII wargames with difficulty 1-3 out of 5.

https://boardgamegeek.com/search/boardgame?sort=rank&advsear...

There are a couple of interesting cooperative games, such as Warfighter: The WWII Tactical Combat Card Game. There's also 2GM Tactics which is a card game. I've never played either. I haven't played either.

One game I'm familiar with is Victory: The Blocks of War. It's an odd game in that it's WWII combat but in a fictional world.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, not that I know of. From your description, it seems you want a multi-player strategic game of WWII. All the ones I know of are fairly complex and take a minimum of four hours to play--double your limit. Here are some that are on the lighter end, but none really meet your criteria. And there are many more, but they are way more complex and with long playtimes.

Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe
The War: Europe 1939-1945
Hitler's War
Blitzkrieg General
World War II: Barbarossa to Berlin

You might want to wait for Cataclysm: A Second World War.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Mengle
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Commands & Colors. Any iteration of it should be fine, but Commands & Colors: Ancients is the easiest one to approach in my opinion, and Memoir '44 should be fine as well. Can be taught in 15 minutes and takes an hour or two. It is kind of only a two-player game unless you have an expansion that adds more maps, although you can split up the battlefield into teams if you want, even in a normal scenario. It also (IMO) does not solo well.

Quartermaster General, although it also does not solo well, is kind of like Risk but you fight a war of logistics rather than just pushing troops around. "Not a wargame" to some folks, but I think it's a great transitional game for someone shifting from more mass-market stuff into wargames. Plays in 2-3 hours or maybe less once you get the hang of it, and accommodate up to six players but can easily scale down to as low as 2 - you just have players handle more than one faction.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Friedrich (might be a little longer than 150 though)
Manoeuvre (strictly for two)
Memoir 44 fits all of your criteria the best, but it's not the best game imo. YMMV.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Stevenson
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Churchill is rated 3.24/5 for complexity, the shorter scenarios play 1-3 hours, plays best with 3, and has agonizing decision making.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/132018/churchill

Pacific Typhoon is a card game for 3-7 players ... 2/5 complexity. It is a little hard to find as it is out of print ...

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/20079/pacific-typhoo...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al Cann
United States
Warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freightrain12 wrote:


Wants from the game: First-timers will be playing this game, would like it to be somewhat accessible (explain rules in under 20-25 mins). Tough moral decisions that put you in the shoes of those you are controlling. I want the game to make you think about the situations each side was in during that time. Hoping players dive into the politics/consequences of their actions as well.

Thank you for the help!


I know you said WW2 ... But if you want to play a game that satisfies your wants: Twilight Struggle is the answer.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
albcann wrote:
freightrain12 wrote:


Wants from the game: First-timers will be playing this game, would like it to be somewhat accessible (explain rules in under 20-25 mins). Tough moral decisions that put you in the shoes of those you are controlling. I want the game to make you think about the situations each side was in during that time. Hoping players dive into the politics/consequences of their actions as well.

Thank you for the help!


I know you said WW2 ... But if you want to play a game that satisfies your wants: Twilight Struggle is the answer.
For the political stuff involved, yes. Not necessarily for the timeframe and the new players requirement though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rouleau
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
freightrain12 wrote:
Wants from the game: First-timers will be playing this game, would like it to be somewhat accessible (explain rules in under 20-25 mins). Tough moral decisions that put you in the shoes of those you are controlling. I want the game to make you think about the situations each side was in during that time. Hoping players dive into the politics/consequences of their actions as well.


Although not a wargame, This War of Mine: The Board Game would satisfy almost all your needs. Do research it beforehand though because this game is definitely not for everyone.

Memoir '44 is easy to learn and play, and you can teach someone to play in 5-10 minutes. It also comes with several scenarios and there are tons of additional free, fan developed scenarios on the web.

You should also take a look at the block games from Columbia Games and Worthington Games. My wife does not play wargames except for Julius Caesar and a few other block games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Seneru
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
You might want to take a look at Victory in the Pacific for a lighter side game on the conflict with the Japanese. It's two player and longer than you want, but not a bad place to start.

I have to agree with Jon, the game you describe hasn't been born yet. I think that after you get your feet wet, IF you want to progress to the heavyweights, you are going to have to take a real good look at Here I Stand. Just an awesome game.


Victory in the Pacific

Here I Stand
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John K
United States
Ellensburg
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
The real trick here is to support 3-4 players; most wargames are designed for 2 players. I did an advanced search looking for 4 player WWII wargames with difficulty 1-3 out of 5.

https://boardgamegeek.com/search/boardgame?sort=rank&advsear...

There are a couple of interesting cooperative games, such as Warfighter: The WWII Tactical Combat Card Game. There's also 2GM Tactics which is a card game. I've never played either. I haven't played either.

One game I'm familiar with is Victory: The Blocks of War. It's an odd game in that it's WWII combat but in a fictional world.


Thank you. I would like to change my request to 1-2 players now knowing it is tough to find one larger than that. Please send any my way, this is all helpful!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United Kingdom
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
freightrain12 wrote:

Below is the criteria I am looking for. Thank you in advance for all the help.

Players: 1-4 (or 1-3), great with 2 (my wife would like to play and I think it would be neat if I could pull the game out with my gaming group as well)

Time Length: 90-120 mins (nothing over 150)

Time Period: WWII, something that has good historical context to dive into if we would like.

Wants from the game: First-timers will be playing this game, would like it to be somewhat accessible (explain rules in under 20-25 mins). Tough moral decisions... politics/consequences...


Hi,

As others have said, I don't think the game you want exists. If it did, we'd all be playing it!

Games with tough moral decisions and political consequences covering WW2 are often going to run you 90-120 hours, not minutes

I'd suggest simply looking for something of suitable complexity and playtime, relaxing your other criteria and working out what you like from your play experiences.

Maybe start by checking out the games by Hollandspiele many of which are tightly designed within the playtime you want.

And keep an eye on Bonaparte at Marengo, something of a classic with a reprint on its way.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Smith
United Kingdom
Newport Pagnell
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Some good suggestions here, especially Quarter Master General (I like the WW1 version best), though your original spec is a tough one.

It's more a Euro with a wargamish theme, but 1944: Race to the Rhine would be an easy half-step in the right direction for someone who enjoys Euros. Definitely quick to explain and the playing time is ok (longer than the makers suggested 90 minutes)

You do fight, but against the German game deck, with victory a battle between the competing Allied commanders (Patton, Bradley, Monty) to get to the Rhine first. Moral and political decisions? Well, not really, but maybe a little bit, though probably not even close to what you may aspire to. The struggle between Allies for resources could be seen as loosely political-manouvering, and you do have to decide whether to feed the civilians you meet!

Also it's a simple game which brings home the importance of logistics in war. So you can cite back to wargamers, from your own hard-earned experience, the old quote which I think roughly goes "Civilians talk Strategy. Amateurs talk Tactics. Professionals talk Logistics."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
Like everyone else here, I'm drawing a blank. If Academy Games would adapt their 1775/1812 system to a WW2 setting, that would be exactly what you're looking for.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
freightrain12 wrote:
Dieroll Honker wrote:
There is no such game, and it's not even close. You will need to move up in rules complexity and playing time, or lose the "tough moral decisions" and "politics/consequences" criteria.

With those modifications, the simpler Quartermaster General might work. The more complex but not yet released Cataclysm: A Second World War would fit.


Alright - let’s move up complexity, anything that fits in that length of time? Thanks!


As others have pointed out, the time part of your request is the difficult part to meet. One option you might want to check out is Unconditional Surrender! Case Blue, it's a campaign game that serves and an introduction to the larger strategic game (covering the whole war in Europe) Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe. You can either get the files to print your own copy on the game page for UC:CB, or you can buy a copy with C3i magazine #28 here: http://www.c3iopscenter.com/currentops/c3i-magazine-war-room....
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Holdfast: EastFront. Hands down, the best of the Holdfast family. The six pages of rules can be digested in 20 minutes. Only for two players though.

Triumph & Tragedy. Not my cup of tea, but I'm probably in the minority. It's a three player game. Unfortunately, the rules may take multiple readings and a learning game, or two. They aren't difficult, just more unit types, diplomacy, and whatnot.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pugnax555 wrote:
Like everyone else here, I'm drawing a blank. If Academy Games would adapt their 1775/1812 system to a WW2 setting, that would be exactly what you're looking for.


Conflict of Heroes can be played with 4 players (2 teams of 2). Very accessible system to get into.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Gill
msg tools
As a first wargame memoir '44 would be a good first game choice. Not difficult to learn and visually pleasing ( minis not cardboard unit), it appearance would be less imtimidating than an conventual wargame and brake the ice re using units and hexes. mem'44 does have a fair amount of abstraction ( such as blurring the line bewteen tactical with operational, depending on the scenario). It provides lots of scenarios , inc beach landings to choose from bepending on interests and time. . The card system give difficult decisions every turn. Games can run quickly allowing people time to swop sides and run it again. This is a easy non scary step before moving to what would fit the normal mold of wargame with no minis and cardboard.You can also add sets together to play large games 1v1 or 2v2.This is Good light wargame, infact this was the first wargame I played with my son when younger.

I know the op wanted more from the game, but as a first game just conentrating on one aspect would from prob be better. Also can't think of a game suitable for newcomers that fit all this wishes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.