15 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: double or triple curse? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
justas justas
msg tools

Hi all,

1. if my ability card (attack) curses a monster, can i enchant that ability card to apply 2 curses on 1 attack?
2. if my ability card (attack) curses a monster, and i draw a apply curse modifying card on my attack, does it apply 2 curses on this attack, 1 from ability and one from modifying deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
My gut instinct would be yes to both, but I'm sure one of the rules gurus will have a definitive statement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wonham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) If the ability card has a little pale dot next to the CURSE line, rather than any other line, I would say yes. But I might be wrong. (How helpful is that!)

2) Absolutely. Throw many many curses at those evildoers. Same as if my ability card has Pierce 1, I consume element for another pierce, then draw a pierce 3 attack card - that would be 5 pierce.

Look at where this additive wouldn't work though:

1) Wound. Someone can only be wounded once. So multiple wounds have no additional effect.
2) Poison....
3) All TOKEN based effects.

(Ducks)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
justas justas
msg tools
i applied a CURSE enchantment on the main line of attack. now it looks like this:

ATTACK +3 CURSE (enchanted)
RANGE 3
CURSE

so this attack, combined with an ranged item from shop (not spoiling too much) will attack 3 targets and apply 6 curses on one attack action this is too epic...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka
Finland
Vantaa
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding curse enhancement to a certain level 1 Cragheart ability is also pretty good. whistle

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Dirt tornado, hits seven hexes (so possibility of seven curses with one attack!) and also muddles everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since some of the replies above seem less confident, I'll confirm that you can double or triple Curse (via both examples). There may or may not be situations where a Monster can do that as well.

This has been confirmed previously during the first wave of rules questions....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manuflex wrote:
i applied a CURSE enchantment on the main line of attack. now it looks like this:

ATTACK +3 CURSE (enchanted)
RANGE 3
CURSE

so this attack, combined with an ranged item from shop (not spoiling too much) will attack 3 targets and apply 6 curses on one attack action this is too epic...

What card did you Enhance? And how much did you pay? Also curious what item.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
justas justas
msg tools
Spoiler (click to reveal)
without spoiling too much:
i am going with item No. 33 - volatile bomb and class Plagueherald cards no. 295 and 296.
a little tip: plagueherald at level 7, is a beast... no need for healer in team because of the constant curse count and the damage of the level 7 ability is just OP for armored monsters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot apply a condition twice to the same target. So for instance, you cannot "double stun". The R2 rulebook on page 22 says
Quote:
Only one of each condition type may be applied to any single figure at a time
which is at odds with the FAQ on stacking effects
Quote:
Do negative conditions from monster ability cards stack with traits of the same negative condition (ex: monster has Curse trait for every attack and draws an ability with a Curse as well)?
Yes.
So it may well be that Bless and Curse are exceptions to the rule, though - of course - this exception, while logical, isn't documented anywhere (that I can find)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Howard
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
You cannot apply a condition twice to the same target. So for instance, you cannot "double stun". The R2 rulebook on page 22 says
Quote:
Quote:
Do negative conditions from monster ability cards stack with traits of the same negative condition (ex: monster has Curse trait for every attack and draws an ability with a Curse as well)?
Yes.
So it may well be that Bless and Curse are exceptions to the rule, though - of course - this exception, while logical, isn't documented anywhere (that I can find)

Curse and bless aren't conditions tracked by tokens, but instead cards added to a modifier deck, so they're not subject to the same limit.

There is, however, a limit of 10 curses given to players and 10 curses given to the monster deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ehrine wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes.

Curse and bless aren't conditions tracked by tokens, but instead cards added to a modifier deck, so they're not subject to the same limit.

There is, however, a limit of 10 curses given to players and 10 curses given to the monster deck.
Hmmm... yes, the full context of the rule does seem to indicate that "applying a condition" means putting a token on the stat sleeve. But then Bless/Curse are specifically exceptions to this, yet they are not exceptions to the sentence that I quote. I don't disagree that you can apply multiple Bless/Curses, I just think that they need a callout as exceptions to the general rule because you would have to parse the rules quite carefully to pick that out (or I would, you didn't have that problem, obviously).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Howard
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Ehrine wrote:

Hmmm... yes, the full context of the rule does seem to indicate that "applying a condition" means putting a token on the stat sleeve. But then Bless/Curse are specifically exceptions to this, yet they are not exceptions to the sentence that I quote. I don't disagree that you can apply multiple Bless/Curses, I just think that they need a callout as exceptions to the general rule because you would have to parse the rules quite carefully to pick that out (or I would, you didn't have that problem, obviously).

Well the rule also says to apply it to a figure (with the exception of curse/bless) and then says "Only one of each condition type may be applied to any single figure at a time." Given curse is applied to the deck, not the figure the restriction doesn't apply. Under curse it also says "If a figure is cursed, it must shuffle a CURSE card into its remaining attack modifier deck" at no point saying anything about not doing it if already cursed (which isn't something you can easily track anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Erlandsson
msg tools
manuflex wrote:

Hi all,

1. if my ability card (attack) curses a monster, can i enchant that ability card to apply 2 curses on 1 attack?
2. if my ability card (attack) curses a monster, and i draw a apply curse modifying card on my attack, does it apply 2 curses on this attack, 1 from ability and one from modifying deck?

Yes to both!

But note that the Curse deck is slit in two, with 10 Curses for players and 10 for Monsters! So you can never get >10 Curses into the Monster's Attack Modifier Deck! I assume you have unlocked the class that would ball out of control if this limitation wasn't in place!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Erlandsson
msg tools
mccrispy wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes.

You CAN double stun, as in apply stun to a stunned target, it just doesn't do anything. The first quote is about not being ably to put two Poisons on a target, not about not attacking with a Poison attack on an already Poisoned target!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the official reply:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25341422#25341422
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.