Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Hay
United States
Owensboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received this as an early Christmas gift and read the rulebook. I was confused on one point:

The rulebook states that if two cards played into the trick are the same value, they are flipped and cannot "win."

However, the game doesn't seem to care about winning. It seems like you're only affected if you lose.

So is the actual intention that:

1) There are edge cases where winning matters, and it is correct that you can't "win" with face down cards, but you can still lose.

2) "Win" should actually read "lose," and you cannot lose if your cards are facedown.

Or is it something else I've entirely overlooked...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it’s confusing. I believe the intention is to say you can’t “win” the trick, which means “losing” the melee. It’s weird semantics, but to win the trick is to lose the melee. We just played two epic games tonight. Really fun game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shannon
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Jexhai wrote:
I just received this as an early Christmas gift and read the rulebook. I was confused on one point:

The rulebook states that if two cards played into the trick are the same value, they are flipped and cannot "win."

However, the game doesn't seem to care about winning. It seems like you're only affected if you lose.

So is the actual intention that:

1) There are edge cases where winning matters, and it is correct that you can't "win" with face down cards, but you can still lose.

2) "Win" should actually read "lose," and you cannot lose if your cards are facedown.

Or is it something else I've entirely overlooked...

Yes, that whole sentence needs to be errata'ed. It should say "cannot lose the melee." Basically replace win with lose.

In other words, two or more cards of the same value can take the trick.

Sorry for that.

Sincerely,
Ken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.