Subject: How is best to mark looted chests? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Maxey
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
The numbered chests in scenarios are persistent, I believe. How should we mark that we've looted the chest in that particular scenario? Should we put a check mark in the white box in the sticker we put on the map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Mountford
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the checkboxes on the map stickers are to indicate that you successfully completed the scenario. There are checkboxes next to the numbered list of chests at the back of the scenario book. We're checking those off when we actually loot the numbered chests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
the checkmark on the map sticker is usually used to indicate that that scenario has been completed in campaign mode.

To mark chests that have been looted, you could put a checkmark in the box next to the corresponding number in the list of treasures in the back of the scenario book. Alternatively, you could just cross out that treasure chest on the scenario map, or affix a stickynote to the scenario page indicating which treasures have been looted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Maxey
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
Ah, thanks.

And when setting up a scenario with a looted chest, should I put the (empty) chest on the map? Should new players know the chest is empty?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mb
You don't put the chest if it is empty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
h2odysee wrote:
Ah, thanks.

And when setting up a scenario with a looted chest, should I put the (empty) chest on the map? Should new players know the chest is empty?

I don't know if there is an official rule or not, but I would lean toward not even putting previously-looted chests on the board at all (with the exception of goal chests, which are the only ones that are reset, since they are required for scenario completion)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Florida
msg tools
On repeat scenarios we ran into the problem that you can't complete some battle goals without chests on the map, so we keep it on the board and use one of those useless 5 gold pieces that came with the game as the reward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Well, given that each player is dealt two battle goals and chooses one, isn't the solution to simply.... not pick the battle goal that requires chests when there are none?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joou wrote:
Well, given that each player is dealt two battle goals and chooses one, isn't the solution to simply.... not pick the battle goal that requires chests when there are none?

Are you suggesting that I also avoid picking the battle goal that
Spoiler (click to reveal)
requires a monster on the map at the beginning of each turn, if the first room has no monsters on the map?

and the one that
requires me to use items 2x more than my count of items, if I have no items... (wait a minute, that one's actually guaranteed if you equip zero items! Edit: nope, had it wrong. It's doomed.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Willottica wrote:
Joou wrote:

Are you suggesting that I also avoid picking the battle goal that
requires a monster on the map at the beginning of each turn, if the first room has no monsters on the map?

and the one that
requires me to use items 2x more than my count of items, if I have no items... (wait a minute, that one's actually guaranteed if you equip zero items!)

Yes, that is why you are dealt 2 battle goals and get to choose, and also why you get to wait until the first room of the scenario is set up prior to having to choose your battle goal.

And you get to choose which items to equip (from the items that you've acquired up to that point) after you choose your battle goal. (if you undertake a scenario without any items, well that is just poor planning, and/or a deliberate strategy which has possible drawbacks including not being able to complete the item use battle goal).

Though I suppose it is possible to draw two battle goals that are automatically impossible to acheive for a certain scenario, in which case I think a mulligan is in order. (not just "difficult to acheive", but flat out impossible, and only if BOTH choices are impossible)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sto88 wrote:
On repeat scenarios we ran into the problem that you can't complete some battle goals without chests on the map, so we keep it on the board and use one of those useless 5 gold pieces that came with the game as the reward.

Sto88, welcome to BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.