Developed by Joseph Angiolillo

Players: 2-5
Period: World War II
Scale: strategic
-- Turn: abstract
-- Map: abstract areas
-- Unit: abstract armies, squadrons, fleets, et cetera

Box: bookcase box

Components: 37"x20" unmounted mapsheet, 12 page rules booklet, 535 counters (five different colored counter sheets with 107 counters on each), five opening set-up cards, 73 Universal Production Certificates (play money), 6 six-sided dice.

Counter Manifest: Each of the five nationalities has an identical set of units: 15 armor, 20 infantry, 10 fighter aircraft, 6 bomber aircraft, 5 submarines, 4 aircraft carriers, 4 battleships, 8 transport ships, 6 anti-aircraft units, 4 factories, 24 flags and 1 nuclear bomb. Units colors by nationality are: German - green, Russian - orange, British - salmon, United States - blue, Japan - yellow.

UPC Manifest: 30 green 1000 UPC, 32 yellow 100 UPC, 11 blue, 500 UPC, and 1 green blank. (This seems like an odd assortment, but it is what came in my shrinkwrapped copy. Based on this, I would guess that the exact number and assortment of UPC's may vary from copy to copy.)

Nova says: "Axis and Allies is a strategic level game of World War II. It begins with the Russian offensive against German occupied Ukraine. It ends when one side, either the Axis or the Allies, achieves victory."

Milton Bradley says: As if you care!

The reviewer says: "More than anything else, this game is a good way to introduce a novitiate into the arcane world of board wargaming. It has enough of the elements that interest wargamers with the added plus that they are scaled down for the novice." Nexus Volume 1, Number 4.

Comments: Sometimes seen as the bane of "serious" wargamers, this design has stood the test of time and the Milton Bradley Gamemaster rerelease served to introduce a whole new generation to "wargaming." Admittedly it won't please the Advanced Third Reich crowd, but it is an entertaining game nonetheless.

Collector's Notes: Although I do not frequently see the original A&A for sale in used condition, shrinkwrapped copies may still be purchased from the Fathers & Sons Hobby Shop (e-mail EuropaStag@aol.com or call 860-643-8834.) [Note, this was as of 1999.] Until this source is exhausted, one should bid frugally on used copies.

An expansion counter sheet was also produced. It included both Chinese (white) and French (purple) units on it.

This is the box cover for the Jedko release of the Nova version:

Also from this designer: Broadsides and Boarding Parties, VI Caesars (both from The Citadel), National Liberation Front (Harris Game Designs)

This article was originally published in issue issue 4 of Simulacrum, May 1999.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: The Nova Edition: Overview & component manifest
You know, THIS 'one' is certainly deserving for its OWN "entry" here, since it is totally different from the later kinds. Oh wait! IT isn't "Axis & Allies~opoly"}b, now were such?
shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Angiolillo
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Re: The Nova Edition: Overview & component manifest
Just to let a number of members know, I am the developer of Axis & Allies. Before I redesigned the game, each battle took about 15 minutes to resolve. I have a lot of stories about the design, Larry Harris, and how the game made it to Milton Bradley.

I also designed games for SPI, Gameshop, Nova, Game Theory & Design, The Avalon Hill General, and Coleco, but that's another story.

Joseph Angiolillo, Jr. (60 years old)
414 Posadas Circle
Punta Gorda, FL 33983
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen A
United States
Brooklyn
NEW YORK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maverick wrote:
An expansion counter sheet was also produced. It included both Chinese (white) and French (purple) units on it.

Joseph Angiolillo
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
do you know where I can get a copy of the Chinese and French expansion counters and rules for Axis & Allies (Nova Edition)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen A
United States
Brooklyn
NEW YORK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maverick wrote:

Collector's Notes: Although I do not frequently see the original A&A for sale in used condition, shrinkwrapped copies may still be purchased from the Fathers & Sons Hobby Shop (e-mail EuropaStag@aol.com or call 860-643-8834.) [Note, this was as of 1999.] Until this source is exhausted, one should bid frugally on used copies.

I have to admit, I tried both the e-mail EuropaStag@aol.com and the telephone number 860-643-8834 today for Fathers & Sons Hobby Shop, and neither worked.

So no need for anyone else to try them either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave E
New Zealand
Nelson
flag msg tools
I have a copy of the Jedko (Australian/New Zealand) Axis and Allies game but not sure where to auction it in USA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger cox
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nova Version was and still is the best version of A&A. It is (still) the only one that allows you to launch a bomber from a carrier. STILL the only one with research available for the A-Bomb, not some nerfed 3 bomber attack. And it has the best national variants--Russia's mobile industrial centers for example. Plus you can attack ANY country but Switz. No matter how seemingly useless, if you need to fly over a chunk of the Himalayas or Sahara, declare war, pay 300 for violating their neutrality and no more veering around. Larry, I miss that garish colored map---know any o-o-p sellers who might have a copy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I want (to play) them all, and I want (to play) them now!
badge
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
rogeracox wrote:
{snip}... know any o-o-p sellers who might have a copy?

Larry doesn't haunt these boards. Fortunately for you, I know how to answer your question. Go look for the "Market" tab on the main page for A&A. You'll find it between the "My Games" tab and the "More" tab, towards the right. Click on that. You will find a listing of every copy of the Milton Bradley edition of A&A that is for sale on BGG. You will also find a listing of every copy of the Nova Games edition and the Jedko edition that is for sale on BGG. So, if you can pony up the cash, I'm sure one of these fine sellers can help you out.

-M_R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.