Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1. Are the money tokens shown on the scenario map replaced each time the scenario is played, or are they like the (non-goal) treasure chests, and once they are looted, they are gone?

2. What is the point of the 5-gold tokens? Killed monsters only drop 1-gold coins, correct? Are there some scenarios that have 5-gold pieces on the map instead of just the 1-gold ones?
(and of course, these pieces are subject to the money modifier determined by the scenario level)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Watson
Australia
Galston
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes

2. Not much point. If you run low on the 1g tokens, have some players swap 5 1g tokens for a 5g.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ziemer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. they get replaced each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:

2. What is the point of the 5-gold tokens? Killed monsters only drop 1-gold coins, correct? Are there some scenarios that have 5-gold pieces on the map instead of just the 1-gold ones?
(and of course, these pieces are subject to the money modifier determined by the scenario level)

My understanding is that you get the 5 gold tokens when you get actual gold from a treasure chest e.g. to signify that this gold goes 1-to-1 into your character sheet and does not get converted at the end of the scenario, on the contrary to the coins that do get converted according to the table on the back of the rulebook. I think I got this interpretation from the kickstarter campaign. You won't find it in the rulebook. The rulebook calls both 1s and 5s tokens "money tokens" and states:

Quote:
Each money token looted is worth an amount of gold
based on the scenario level and specified on the chart on p. 15

This is obviously not applicable to the 5-gold tokens. Unless they are supposed to be worth exactly the same as the 1s.

I've also yet to see a loot chest containing gold that doesn't contain multiples of 5 gold.

As a side note: I think the coins shouldn't have number 1 on them, because they are a different currency than the 5 gold tokens. They should be some abstract coin tokens instead, then there would be less confusion with the 5 gold ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I just got a treasure chest that grants 10 gold. I took two of the five-gold pieces, to differentiate that this is straight up 10 gold, not equivalent to ten money tokens (which would convert to 20 gold at the end of the scenario).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
florencka wrote:
My understanding is that you get the 5 gold tokens when you get actual gold from a treasure chest e.g. to signify that this gold goes 1-to-1 into your character sheet and does not get converted at the end of the scenario, on the contrary to the coins that do get converted according to the table on the back of the rulebook.
Nicely phrased! In our group we ignore the contents of (non-exploding) traps until the end of the scenario as they are completely irrelevant, given that you cannot equip them or spend them. We also use the $1 coins from Scythe as our "monster pennies" as I have a lot more of them than the tokens from Gloomhaven*. So there's never been any use for those 5GP hexes.

* We do this because every revealed non-summoned monster gets a penny on its stats card numbered "slot", the penny goes on the board when the monster is killed. This both helps keep track of which monsters are summoned and saves having to "make change" during the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:

* We do this because every revealed non-summoned monster gets a penny on its stats card numbered "slot", the penny goes on the board when the monster is killed. This both helps keep track of which monsters are summoned and saves having to "make change" during the scenario.

This is a really good idea! Especially that the sheets now have free space since I'm using 3d printed bases with dice slots for tracking health. I will try your coin idea in my next session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
florencka wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

This is a really good idea! Especially that the sheets now have free space since I'm using 3d printed bases with dice slots for tracking health. I will try your coin idea in my next session.
I won't take credit for the coin idea, I think it is one of those ideas that multiple people came up with around the same.

I've never been tempted by using dice to track damage - too many opportunities for the dice to get accidently randomised and too many monsters with high HP. I have a metric boatload of dice, but they are mainly D6 and any sensible scheme seems to require multiple dice. Waaaay too fiddly to deal with given the size hands that the people in my group are "blessed" with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:

I've never been tempted by using dice to track damage - too many opportunities for the dice to get accidently randomised and too many monsters with high HP. I have a metric boatload of dice, but they are mainly D6 and any sensible scheme seems to require multiple dice. Waaaay too fiddly to deal with given the size hands that the people in my group are "blessed" with.

I'm using some generic D&D dice sets with a d20, d12 etc so there is always at most one for each monster and until now two for a boss. I can confirm that it is fiddly and large hands can be a problem. My group agreed though, that it is still better to be able to immediately see the remaining HP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
florencka wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

I'm using some generic D&D dice sets with a d20, d12 etc so there is always at most one for each monster and until now two for a boss. I can confirm that it is fiddly and large hands can be a problem. My group agreed though, that it is still better to be able to immediately see the remaining HP.
Yeah, that "how many hit points has X got left?" question is a right royal PitA. I'm considering using subtractive damage rather than additive damage - at least we could see the immediate answer to that question. Only problem: not enough tokens to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Harris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[a little off the original topic, but related to the direction of the thread]

We have been using mini red poker chips to track monster damage. They fit well on the monster stat cards. It can take a minute to set up when new monsters are revealed, but it has made things relatively easy during the rest of gameplay.
(No having to make change with the 10-, 5-, and 1-damage markers that come with the game. Clearly visible amount of hit points left; it's almost like a bar chart of monster hit points. The chips stack on top of the coins, so once you remove the final hit point the coin is still waiting there as your reminder. I usually ask someone else to pre-sort them into stacks of 5 or 10 while I'm setting up the scenario so we don't have to count them off for each monster later.)
There may be better methods, but we've been doing it this way the whole time and I like it so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Mountford
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:

I cannot address hand size, but I will say that's it's massively satisfying to get a monster down to one-die-worth of health. We're using 10-sided dice, as the highest side count that felt reasonably stable to me (to avoid that accidental randomization you mention). It's working very well. They sit nicely on top of the coins that get placed when we get to remove the last die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
DMountford wrote:

...We're using 10-sided dice, as the highest side count that felt reasonably stable to me (to avoid that accidental randomization you mention)...

We use D12s. Much more stable than D10, and less fiddly than 2d6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.