Subject: What Did You Play This Week? 12/11/17 - 12/17/17 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the week behind us it's time to post your week's mini-session reports and stories to answer our favorite question:

mbmbWhat did you play this week? - Edition 451
mbmbindigo This week's WDYPTW Geeklist
mbmbindigo WDYPTW subscription thread
mbmbindigo The WDYPTW Guild

Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asked me to sub for him this week so I post this a bit earlier than usual since I am at least half a day ahead from most of you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ross
Scotland
Motherwell
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spent the whole of my games session on Saturday playing Churchill it absolutely flew by
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game: The Deathwing get eliminated in the 2nd location, as usual!
Valley of the Kings NEW!: Interesting deckbuilder with "crumbling" and "entombing" mechanics!
Santorini x3: I teach Jim and Pau how to play this excellent 2017 abstract.
Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition): Also a teaching game for Jim.
Combat Commander: Europe: A teaching game for Enrique.
Century: Spice Road x2: Teaching games again for Enrique.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Godforsaken Scavengers xd10-3
Solo, lost all 3, but I'm getting farther. Tried the campaign. It's ok. But just ok.
Still not sold on this game, still feels too luck-based.
bacon

Kingdom Death: Monster xd10-2
Killed an antelope, The Hand, and got farted on by a Phoenix.
Still no game over!
thumbsup

Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 xd10-2
Won April, lost May, wish it would be over, I really don't get the appeal, annoying and not impressive game.
thumbsdown

The 7th Continent xd10-1
Started a solo Icy Maze with Mary and Lovecraft.
thumbsup

Aeon's End xd10-1
Solo. Was SO close to winning against Magus of Cloaks!
heart

Mystic Vale xd10-1
2 players, won with five points more than my opponent. Very boring start for me but the endgame made up for it thanks to sleeving and unsleeving shenanigans.
thumbsup

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game xd10-1
Solo, my six teams overcame the Tyrannids.
thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Onirim (second edition) x2 (app)

Ghost Stories NEW! (solo, Tabletop Simulator)

Sword Art Online Board Game: Sword of Fellows (solo)

Assault on Doomrock (solo)
w/ Assault on Doomrock: Doompocalypse

Seasons (BGA)

Wizards Wanted NEW!

Mage Wars Arena NEW! (Tabletop Simulator)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Race: The Card Game x3
Nations: The Dice Game
Star Wars: Imperial Assault
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit sad not to have played Conflict of Heroes last week. I've been struggling with an illness called Winter.

cry

Bohnanza: The Duel x2
My first plays of the Duel version, after I really enjoyed playing regular Bohnanza and fancied being able to play it at two. Duel does feel different to regular Bohnanza, but I like this 2-player version as well. My wife really enjoyed it. I like the regular version for its "purity" of design and Duel I like as it's a bit more thinky and you have some interesting mind games going on. On your go you have to offer a card for free to your opponent - you can bluff if you like and offer a card you don't have.

If they turn it down, they have to offer you a different card in return. And so on until someone accepts or if you have gone through all the cards, you have to take that last one offered. And I really like the Bohnus cards where you have to try and match a pattern as the bean fields form. You then cash a bonus and sometimes you give a card to an opponent and they plant it and it gives you a bohnus! Come on, put it in that field, that's the one that will score me a bohnus and it's the obvious place to put it.

What?! You put it in the other field that was possible? Argghhhh!

I'm torn as to which one I prefer, I like them both for different reasons and I can imagine some folks may like one but not the other.

Star Realms x2
We played with gambits and then my son wanted to try his own variant on the game. My son's getting the recent Kickstarter for Christmas though I hear it's a bit delayed. Thankfully Santa has some other cool stuff. Let's just say he's getting his first GMT game never mind any other stuff.

Risk: Star Wars x1
My son scored a very easy win for the Rebellion. He had some great dice rolling to take down the shield for the Death Star quickly, it was like a light sabre through snow. My only consolation was that Luke Skywalker no longer walks among us.

devil

My son put some of his Star Wars minis next to the game and we had the Return of the Jedi music on loop. I have an idea how to play the Empire better next time, though I do wonder if the game favours the Rebels. Fun little game. I am very happy it's in the collection.

We own both the standard edition (in the photo) and the black series (picked up recently for £18). The board in the standard series gets some flack for being flimsy but I don't think it's actually that bad.

The Chosin Few x12
Four wins from 12 got me back to winning games after a 20+ losing streak! I might carry on playing this week now as I am on a roll!

Unfair x1
Our first three-player. And wow was it brutal! Our son was closing down our rides, pinching upgrades, firing our staff, but then he got hit back pretty heavy. I felt guilty at game end when his score was a single digit. I think I overdid the karma. We might play world peace next time! I really love this game. I'm surprised it's not showing up on more top 10 lists for 2017.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
I've come here to chew bubble gum and play board games, and I'm all outta bubble gum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Concordia
Scythe
Clans of Caledonia
Runebound (Third Edition)
Eldritch Horror
Splendor
Sakura
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 x Modern Art (new)
1 x Last Will
1 x Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 5 – United Kingdom & Pennsylvania - Pennsylvania Map (new)
1 x Acquire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokohama x 1
Stroop x 2
Ingenious x 1
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases x 1
7 Wonders Duel x 1
Holmes: Sherlock & Mycroft x 1
Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries x 1
Pandemic: Iberia x 1
Onirim (second edition) x 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
5x Gloomhaven
I'm definitely enjoying it, though it feels fairly samey scenario to scenario. I'm 12 or so games in and every scenario is essentially "kill everything" or "kill this specific thing, but there's everything in the way anyway so might as well kill those, too". I've seen one "loot everything" and one "loot this specific thing" but I've looted every chest I've seen anyway so, it's really "kill stuff and maybe win early". Anyway the gameplay is very well done, but I might start speedrunning it a bit to get back to KD:M.

1x Fields of Arle
I love this game. I always end up crushing, though. I need to play it with the SAME opponent a few times so they can build up some strategies. In this game I went for several vehicles quickly, got up 3 breeding pairs in the first year, and went heavy on buildings. It felt the best I had ever done... and it turns out it was 9 points lower than my "let's get as many animals as possible" game. What do ya do? Scored 108 points, best score still 117. I know higher scores are possible.

1x Las Vegas
Quick fun filler!

1x Carcassonne
My game group is running an 8 person tournament. 4-player games. I'm in 6th. I felt like it should have been 1v1 games. I don't wanna talk about it

1x Scoville
Love this game! I came in second but lost by like 24 points. First was WAY in first. Still a great game though. Some poor decisions in turn order squeezed me out of a lot of what I was trying to do.

1x Camel Up
One guy in my group has to play this every time. I always hate the idea of playing it, and then end up excitedly shouting "NO WAY" halfway through. It's always fun, even if I think I hate it.

1x Boss Monster 2: The Next Level
Been in my collection a while. Was a gift. Not a huge fan. It's Boss Monster with more Take That. But isn't executed well. Eh.

18x The Chameleon
Picked this up for free during a Target sale. This was really fun! And plays so fast that if a round is accidentally ruined or just goes hopelessly bad, nobody cares! Deal again, throw in a new topic, onto the next round! I don't really like party games but this was a good way to unwind at the end of game day and I really prefer it over Codenames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Good bye!
badge
Hello!
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo
The Bloody Inn x4
Israeli Independence x3
Onirim x3
Ottoman Sunset x1

Game Group
Statecraft the card game x2
Splendor x1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
1x Boss Monster 2: The Next Level
Been in my collection a while. Was a gift. Not a huge fan. It's Boss Monster with more Take That. But isn't executed well. Eh.

My first kickstarter and the first game I wanted to get rid of. Took me a while but I did get rid of it. I hated everything about it except the art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Fallout | 4p | 4.5 hours

I finally figured out what makes this game, S.P.E.C.I.A.L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill L
United States
North Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terraforming Mars x1
NMBR9 x1

Light week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rummikub
tichu
crokinole
lanterns the harvest festival
dicke daemonen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Herrera
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally got to learn and play Codenames at the family gathering. In addition, we also played The Resistance: Avalon. I had a good time with the family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just two days with a little gaming this past week.
On Monday, we played two more lantern years in Kingdom Death: Monster. One very successful Phoenix fight, and one terrible King's Man (TPK).

On Saturday we were hosting a party and played a game of PitchCar with expansions 1 and 2 thrown in. Those make the game a little harder, but definitely add fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thursday:
Qwixx
Fluxx - This was the 1000th play I've logged on BGG
Trickster
No Thanks!
Fidelitas

Saturday:
No Thanks!
Concordia
Clans of Caledonia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant F.
msg tools
I played with a lot of casual and newbie people in a large group his week:

Can't Stop
Codenames
Wits and Wagers
Las Vegas with expansions
Resistance Avalon
Survive Atlantis
Sheriff of Nottingham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A fun weekend of gaming!

Fri:
Betrayel at Baldurs Gate
Battlestar Galactica - our 6th game played and still no human win yet.
King of Tokyo - played 3 games.

Sat:
Mythic Battles Pantheon - played two games
Fallout - played a 4 player game.

Sun:
Terraforming Mars - 5 player game.
7 Wonders - 2 games played.
Mythic Battles Pantheon - 3 player free for all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Pender
United Kingdom
Helston
Cornwall
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario #1 'Assault on Hill 252.2' for this little beauty.

I am REALLY liking this system, can not recommend it enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good week overall, with 4 days spent with 8 plays of 5 games, one of them new, one of them for my 10x10 hardcore challenge.

Wednesday

Ex Libris
Mythotopia

Friday

Splendor 2x
Topoum

Saturday

Valley of the Kings: Afterlife

Sunday

Splendor 2x
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Scottsville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders x2
Had this one for a year, played once about a year ago and my family of casual lightweight gamers said "Eh", even though I enjoyed it. I think it was all the symbols confusing them to the end. Friday night I picked the game and chose this one, pretty much had to teach all over again but after the first game they all agreed to a second game - baby steps! They all said they'd play it again now that they "get" it.

Splendor x2
My wife and her friend LOVE Splendor, and this gets played regularly.

The Penguin Ultimatum x1
Picked this up at a used game sale for $5.00 in great shape around Thanksgiving. Played a 2 player game finally with my son. Neat color/symbol tile (card) matching game with a very cute theme. Pretty light, but definitely some subtle strategies. Won't replace No Thanks but I can see playing it once in a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Completed the challenge...

Monday
1x - Terraforming Mars - Solo
mb - 4.0 mi 33:38 (8:24)

Tuesday
1x - Mice and Mystics - mb
mb - 4.0 mi 33:54 (8:27) -

Wednesday
1x - Mice and Mystics - mb
mb - 7.0 mi 59:33 (8:30) - Cold and windy
1x - Dixit

Thursday
3x - Uchronia - mb

We had a another very busy week with work, meetings, etc. so gaming was scarce. I managed to keep up my running and increase the mileage according to plan. The highlight of the week was celebrating our 23 wedding anniversary. I'm off work the rest of the year so hopefully we can close out our 10x10 this coming week.

meeple Keep playing...
BK's Hardcore 10x10 in 2017 List at 100/100!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.