membran .
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
I was playing a three player game (in the App vs AI). I was playing last that round.

Player 1 prepared an event and revealed the "Development of Warfare" event ("each player may build a warrior for free if they have an idle worker at the start of their turn").

Player 2 then prepared an event and revealed the "Immigration" event ("The civilizations with the most happy faces increases its population by 1 at the start of their turn."). I had the most happy faces, so the benefit went to me.

It was now my turn and according to the game's log, it was the event evaluation phase. There were two effects firing at the start of my turn: I was allowed to build a warrior for free if I had an idle worker, which I didn't at that time; and I was allowed to increase my population for free, therefore creating an idle worker.

As far as I can remember, the app didn't give me a choice to choose the order of the events. It seems to give priority to "Development of Warfare" because that effect was "older". But the official rulebook of the boardgame doesn't appear to have any ruling on how such queued "at the start of a player's turn" effects will resolve - if it's based on player's choice or an effect stack.

Have I overlooked something? What is your take on this?

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Events are resolved immediately. Since they are resolved as a result of a political action, they would never have two events resolving at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's how the digital rules work. Would never happen in the physical version. In the digital version you choose the order yourself by clicking on the event in the top left corner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
membran .
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks to both of you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SonnyDK wrote:
It's how the digital rules work. Would never happen in the physical version. In the digital version you choose the order yourself by clicking on the event in the top left corner

That’s not correct. You must resolve them in the order they were revealed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
SonnyDK wrote:

Ok, I'm not too sure as I usually play 2p games.

But I recall one time, where I just minimized the current event and clicked the other event. I could then do that one first. But I can't rule out that I didn't just imagine that 😀

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SonnyDK wrote:
grant5 wrote:
SonnyDK wrote:

Ok, I'm not too sure as I usually play 2p games.

But I recall one time, where I just minimized the current event and clicked the other event. I could then do that one first. But I can't rule out that I didn't just imagine that 😀

Or maybe you had this happen early in the app's life and then they subsequently tweaked how the digital rules work? Not sure about that.

But currently, when it's time to resolve a stack of pending events, you can minimize the current one to look at the next ones, but you can't interact with them in any way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Charlap
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check the rules you are using in the app. If you are set for it, then you may not need to resolve events when they occur, but rather when your turn comes around. I've only played using tabletop rules, so I cannot be certain this is the case, but I know that for streamlining asynchronous play, some timing changes were introduced.

Under the normal rules, all events are resolved immediately. For example, "Development of Warfare" says each player may immediately build a new warrior, if a population is available. Note there is no reference to "on his next turn"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luther Hendricks
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Under Digital Rules, the event resolution is delayed until your next turn, but the events are still resolved in the order they occurred. You can't choose to reorder them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Things like this are one reason why I always choose the tabletop rules.
It's seem ridiculous that some players will get an advantage of seeing the order of events.. like if a dev of warfare comes out, then a free population, then a dev of religion. Guess what, you don't have to worry about using up the worker for warfare. Whereas the player who revealed dev of warfare, who may not be able to build a new worker, has to wonder if he should save his free worker for the religion hopefully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They definitely made some sacrifices in the event resolution for digital rules. Personally I think the terrorism one is more annoying - if that flips on my turn, rather than being resolved immediately and then I'm free to build whatever I want, sometimes I'm forced to change my whole turn and not build a higher level building so it doesn't get destroyed right away on that player's turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is strongly recommended to use the tabletop rules versus AI. That's how the game is meant to be played, and it's also why the rulebook did not have anything about the situation you described. Colonizing and resolving events with the tabletop rules do not cause extra delays when there is only one human player.

With tabletop rules every event is resolved by every player during the political phase of the player who triggered the event, so they won't get to see any extra information. The order of resolving these events is: the active player, then each other player in clockwise order. After that the active player continues to his action phase or whatever the "main phase" of the turn is called.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.