12 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Variants

Subject: Fleets?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
david wood
msg tools
mbmb
I have 2 copies of the core game. Would it break the game if you could form MORE than 3 fleets at a time? Would it break the game if you could form as many fleets as you like (regardless of how many ascendancy/starbases you have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, yes it would break the game. That's probably why the Augmentation Packs, which provide 15 extra Ships and 5 more Control Nodes for each faction, don't include the ability to form more fleets. You could use the extra copy as such packs for the original three factions.

Of course, its your game(s) and you can do what you want. In terms of experimentation, if you have trouble finding two opponents, and don't have the Borg, I'd consider making up a two player variant version where you could have up to six fleets (but only where you have up to the 3 extra Star Bases you could also allow).

Otherwise, you might want to sell the second copy for good (not outrageous) money, and use it to buy the regular Cardassian, Ferengi, and (coming any day) Borg Expansions, 3D star bases, game mat, Augmerntation Packs, and the additional expansions that will eventually come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david wood
msg tools
mbmb
Suppose you played by the standard core set rules, but could build 1 extra generic fleet for each of the 3 factions (could have 4 fleets at any time). Stay with 5 ascendancy, 3 star bases. Would that break the game? Each extra generic fleet would be comprised of 6 ships max. Feds would still be outnumbered (fed max 24, rom max 33, kli max 36).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think allowing a fourth fleet for factions at four ascendancy is worth trying. I would not allow fleets to be set up independent of ascendancy level - that would be quite another game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david wood
msg tools
mbmb
That's what I meant to say. You would need to get to 4 ascendancy before you could build the 4th fleet. Thank you for your opinion and agreement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david wood
msg tools
mbmb
I also thing having a 4th star base would be interesting to try. Agree or disagree?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dwood9999 wrote:
I also thing having a 4th star base would be interesting to try. Agree or disagree?

It's worth trying. I don't see it matter much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
(coming any day) Borg Expansion

Borg is out. I ordered it from CSI because my LGS told me their distributor didn't have it yet. Three days after it arrived I stopped into the store and saw it on the shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DB,

laugh Thanks for the info, since I'm waiting on my own FLGS! I was there Friday to pick up another December game I'm getting (Cry Havoc Aftermath Expansion), but wasn't lucky enough to have both ready on the same day. So I'm just waiting for the phone to ring once more...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wicket Warrick
msg tools
mb
when is Borg out in Europe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also you forget that fleets come into 2 forms, a general large size and a special task fleet. So the question is what would more fleets be? Would it just be the battlegroup/9/10 ship fleet for the 4th one?

Granted I think the game could have done more in incentives to gain a 4th Ascendancy token other than make yourself the primary target. Stopping at 3 could have been a mistake. But just saying okay there is a 4th fleet could also be a bigger one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cybran wrote:
when is Borg out in Europe?

I ordered mine through amazon.co.uk. It is in the mail...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.