Aeon's End» Forums » Rules

Subject: How do you actually protect gravehold? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eternal
msg tools
Hello there,

Before anything, some context:
- I only have the base game (no expansion yet)
- I played my first few games with friends this weekend (4 players), so I don't have much experience with this game yet (also, we've mostly played againt the Carapace Queen as of now, with the exception of the very first game against the Rageborn)

So far, all the times we lost were because Gravehold reached 0HP (we have yet to see an exhausted player), and most of those HP were lost when there were 2, 3 or 4 consecutive Nemesis turns in a row, which allowed it to draw minions then immediately trigger their effects (or to draw power cards and resolve them before any player's turn), which felt a bit arbitrary since there was nothing we could do about it.

Since there doesn't seem to be a way to heal Gravehold either (except maybe one relic, if you happen to play with it), does it mean that the only thing you can do is try to kill the Nemesis as fast as possible and hope the randomness of the turn order doesn't kill you before that? Do people ever win by reaching the end of the Nemesis deck?

Also, out of curiosity, is there a variant out there which allows players to sacrifice their own HP to heal Gravehold or something ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the Nemeses. But the game is a race, your HP vs the Nemesis' HP. You've got to go fast.

There are ways to protect Gravehold (GH): when given the choice between GH damage, take the option that doesn't deal GH damage.
Discard power cards as often as possible.
When there are several husks in play, pay 1 life to spread damage across them.
Play Adelheim and charge him to cancel Attack and Power cards.
Deal with card minions as fast as possible.

If you get the expansions: play Phaedraxa and Z'hana (negate damage/heal Gravehold.)

The turn order is a monster but it's not the only thing responsible. Most of the time the game is tense if you play it right, and you should be on the verge of losing but on the verge of winning too.

For Carapace Queen, it's really important that you deal with the husks early on, and then when you've built momentum, you can start focusing on her, but that usually is mid to late game. In my experience at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bram Kok
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
When there are several minions in play, pay 1 life to spread damage across them.

I think you mean Husks. IIRC you can't pay life to spread damage among minions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The4thJawa wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
When there are several minions in play, pay 1 life to spread damage across them.

I think you mean Husks. IIRC you can't pay life to spread damage among minions.

Yes thanks, I changed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hoffmann
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it only a couple of times and the following tip may change in the future.
If I setup the game, I take care that there is at least one way (player skill or card) that can heal gravehold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This game is tight, and there are tons of ways to play, but in several dozen plays I can count the GH losses on one hand. I think it's cool how variednthe game is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
TimelessBeing wrote:
So far, all the times we lost were because Gravehold reached 0HP (we have yet to see an exhausted player), and most of those HP were lost when there were 2, 3 or 4 consecutive Nemesis turns in a row, which allowed it to draw minions then immediately trigger their effects (or to draw power cards and resolve them before any player's turn), which felt a bit arbitrary since there was nothing we could do about it.

You need to choose mages that fit your playing style and the problems you encounter.

Lash is great for stopping the runs of consecutive nemesis turns. His Quartz Shard lets you look at the next turn cad and choose to move it to the bottom of the deck. DON'T MOVE A NEMESIS CARD TO THE BOTTOM, because this can set up exactly the sort of heinous volleys you experienced. Send a player turn to the bottom to ensure there an't be a consecutive run of nemesis turns going over two whole rounds.

Adelheim and Phaedraxa are your protectors. Adelheim cancels the nemesis' card, so long as it's a Power or an Attack; Phaedraxa stops the nemesis or its minions doing any damage to anything (but you have to choose to use her power before drawing the nemesis card, whereas with Adelheim you can decide afterwards). The trick with these two is to KEEP THEM CHARGED. Their whole strategy needs to be based around acquiring charges and other people need to give them charge whenever possible. Ideally, as soon as they use their power they will buy charges back again.

If you buy "The Depths" expansion, you get some new mages and one of them, Z'Hana, has the power to heal Gravehold by 7 life every time she uses it.

There's also the Focusing Orb, a relic in the base set that can heal 3 life to Gravehold (at the cost of destroying the relic).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean itsasecret
United States
California
flag msg tools
Iirc most power cards can be discarded by spending 7-8 aether. So one person should always try and set their discard so they will have a hand to play 8 aether at one point. Easier done in my two player games. Sometimes it is discard prepared spells that cost 4+ so take advantage of knowing that.

I don't remember what cards come in what box because I bought practically everything at once like a madman, but there are cards that can heal grave hold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
irveline wrote:
I don't remember what cards come in what box because I bought practically everything at once like a madman, but there are cards that can heal grave hold.

There are but you should learn not to rely on healing. We've talked about that a while ago, but you don't need healing for the base game. You just have to learn to maximize damage, spread the hate from the Nemesis among your mages, etc. You'll become a better player then and will deal with difficult situations more easily.

That said, I always take some healing mage in War Eternal and in Extinction mode ^^ More often than not, Kadir/Z'hana/Ulgimor/Remnant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.