Jarek W
Poland
flag msg tools
Commutator
badge
.Komutator
mbmbmbmb
We got our copy on Saturday.
I was enthusiastic as the game seemed like it refreshes the genre, and we hadn't had anything similar in our collection.
Roleplaying isn't our strong side, but we decided to give it a go.

I've read through the tutorial myself, read the manual, and hyped, laid the game before us.
And what I thought would be a thrilling experience was turned into point and aspects pursuit, regardless of the options.

Language isn't a barrier for us, but clearly breaks the fourth wall.
So it may be, the game just isn't for us, but I hope we got it wrong and we have to let go our usual approach to games.

Are the next scenarios more immersive, or we have to figure how to enjoy the game by ourselves?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Grundmann
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If you don't feel the love, you should file for a divorce from this very game. ;-)

Joking aside, FoL is a two-player-roleplaying game where the points and aspects pursuit drives the experience without a GameMaster.

It's just not your kind of game, I am afraid. :-(

Get rid of it here on BGG or on eBay as long as the game is hot and highly anticipated. :-)

Regards
GeneralGrundmann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
We ran through the tutorial yesterday and apart from a few moments of 'come on with the tutorial cards already, let's play' we had a good time.

Did you follow the suggestions of providing some words when you selected the traits? Did you name your characters? Did you give extra details when the scene asked you to?

We did the above, and it helped with the immersion in the story. Also, the tutorial mentions to forget the goal, and just play for the story the first time, to avoid getting caught up in the mechanisms and just enjoy the ride. I did look at the aspects when I chose my scenes to play, but you don't have to for the first game.

If you don't like giving details to add to the story, then perhaps this is not the game for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read a review a while ago that brought up this point saying that while it's an excellent game it doesn't work as well (or may not be very exciting) if players aren't into the role play aspect. This is partly because the game encourages players to use their emotional intelligence to try to guess the others personality traits (which is what makes this game unique). That's where some element of role-playing becomes critical otherwise the mechanics are at risk of becoming a 2 hour bore of number crunching. By role-playing you can almost ignore the tracking and find your way by the theme. It's almost impossible to guess whether your partner is a good match for you without some element of roleplay.

The game is great for creative types i'd say. Basically try not to "crack the game/puzzle" because there isn't one to crack in the normal sense of a board game. What you're trying to "solve" is the journey or ending your two characters will end up with, which is entirely dependent on what is happening outside of the pure board game mechanics.

Also not everyone wants a game that reflects actual life or a soap opera.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone else has already said what I came to say - this really is a game for people who roleplay. I caught that going in, and roleplaying relationships is why I backed it.

Sell it while it's hot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is really meant for roleplaying. You really have to stick to the idea you are not playing YOU. The character is not YOU, but an entirely unique person that you simply control. Adding backstory, etc. to gameplay really enhances it. If you're really not that interested in that type of gameplay, then yeah, this probably isn't for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mb
Also it's worth noting the other bits ARE better because they don't force you to have a happy ending, so there might be more pushing and pulling with the points if you believe the partner is trying to break up with you, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CthulhuKid wrote:
Also it's worth noting the other bits ARE better because they don't force you to have a happy ending, so there might be more pushing and pulling with the points if you believe the partner is trying to break up with you, for example.

It does seem kind of a shame that some more interesting things (break ups, wedding, pregnancy) are not introduced until the the last two stories.

Especially since High School Sweethearts includes scenes that allow you to swap in breakup destinies, but you don’t even get any breakup destinies until We Give it a Year.

Haven’t played yet but I’m very tempted to mix all of the scenes together, and possibly to include all of the destinies (but put those you don’t start with in the discard pile, so they won’t come up unless a scene causes them to). Playing one of the early stories would then mean staying together is likely, but not necessarily a guarantee. I feel like I’d be more into it not knowing the outcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the intriguing aspects of Fog of Love is that it gives you the opportunity to see what it would be like to be a jerk, or indecisive, or possessive. Try out some of the traits that are quite the opposite of your own traits.

We haven't yet explored this fully, but I expect that our next few games will be pretty crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Never enough of these to go around...
badge
Never cut a deal with this guy...
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I've had the opportunity to play through the tutorial (with Sunday Afternoon Date), Sunday Afternoon Date (without the tutorial), and High School Sweethearts love stories.

I can relate to the OP (Jarek) in regards to the initial reaction it got from us when we played through the tutorial. My brother expected it to be more of a board game than a roleplaying one.

I have a strong interest myself in roleplaying games and amassed quite a collection of role playing games over the years. My brother that I played it with though does not share this same interest and didn't bother to get in to the roleplaying aspect that Fog of Love presents when going through the tutorial.

However, he did understand the concepts behind the game after the tutorial and did in fact love our first game that we played without the tutorial. Despite him not really "acting" like his character in the beginning, we both appreciated the fact that we were able to both play as males (allowing us the opportunity to step outside of our comfort zones) with different occupations, different underlying traits, different features, and ultimately (maybe) different motives. We had fun creating names for these fictional characters and away we went in our fictional homosexual relationship that we just created!

A wonderful thing happened halfway though that 2nd game though. After I dropped the ball that I may still be "technically" married to someone else, despite me loving him; Before playing a card, he proceeded to call me every hateful name in the book! (Words that I cannot say on a public forum such as this...) In that moment, he stopped treating this game as a game that he was striving to "win" but rather started to embrace the story it was telling! Needless to say, we both love the game and I'm very much looking forward to playing it with my fiancee!

My advice to you Jarek is to try to play a couple of games without the tutorial slowing down the flow of the story. If after a couple of games, you are still trying to force yourself to appreciate what this game offers; I would say it's probably just not your cup of tea. You never know though, perhaps you too will cut your roleplaying teeth on this game in the way my brother did!

In any case Jarek, you will ultimately do what makes you happy. Good luck with your future endeavors!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
industrialchild wrote:

My advice to you Jarek is to try to play a couple of games without the tutorial slowing down the flow of the story. If after a couple of games, you are still trying to force yourself to appreciate what this game offers; I would say it's probably just not your cup of tea. You never know though, perhaps you too will cut your roleplaying teeth on this game in the way my brother did!

Other advice:

The Tutorial and the Sunday Morning Date are nice ways to learn the game but they are also hard scenarios to win because they are short and not all of the cards in play yet. If you're the sort that wants to see if you can fulfill a character's destiny, then at least play into the HS Sweethearts or We Give It a Year. Those open up all kinds of choices and options and (I think) are easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.