Heroes Wanted» Forums » Rules

Subject: Order of actions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Fewings
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hello

First time player here and hoping for some help.

A dispute arose during our first game. The "Laser" Heroes' super power "Parsec Zap" says "Deal 4 damage to a character within RNG 1. You may move into any unoccupied space."

A couple of queries regarding this.

1. can the move occur before the damage? This was the key point of contention. If there is somewhere in the rule book that resolves this dispute that would be hugely appreciated!

2. the unoccupied space - is that anywhere on the board, an adjacent space or resulting from the damage dealt?

Also, one query re the costume card:

3. if you play this do you have to retrieve the card from your discard pile or do you gain an additional card from the main deck?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya and welcome to BGG! Here are some answers for you:

1. You execute things in written order. So deal damage first and move afterwards.

2. Anywhere on the board. There are multiple abilities in this game that have "unlimited range" so to speak.

3. You retrieve the card from your dicards. Also, what do you mean by a mean deck? There is no main deck in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fewings
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hello, thank you!

I meant main deck as in all the other cards not in people's hands - so I guess not in the game but the ones you distrivute from at the beginning.

On number 1 - is that in the rule book somewhere? I thought it was and that would really help settle a dispute and I can't find it but it was A LOT to take in last night and I now feel like I have read the rule book 6 times and can't find it!

Thanks again

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fewings
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
p.s. on the Costume card the underlining of "another" confused me. Any ideas why this isn't underlined on other cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Andyfews wrote:
Hello, thank you!

I meant main deck as in all the other cards not in people's hands - so I guess not in the game but the ones you distrivute from at the beginning.

On number 1 - is that in the rule book somewhere? I thought it was and that would really help settle a dispute and I can't find it but it was A LOT to take in last night and I now feel like I have read the rule book 6 times and can't find it!

Thanks again

Andy

I think it's implicit. All games operate with the implicit assumption that you can only do what the rules tell you to do. The card tells you to do things. Those things are in order. You can't do them out of order because the game doesn't say you *can.* If the other person wants to interpret the cards in a different way than they read, they need to find the part in the rules where it says you CAN.

There is no main deck. Each player starts with a set of action cards that they hold in their hand. As they play them, they put them in their personal discard pile. When they rest, they pick their cards back up. Retrieve lets you pick up one of the cards from your discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fewings
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
It is completely obvious to me. But not others...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Levine
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andyfews wrote:

That's probably what's throwing you off -- that's not a "deck" in game sense. All unused cards go back into the box before you start playing.

For example, at the beginning of a typical 2p game, you'd hand everyone their five basic actions + one special action, and pull out their one epic action (which is tucked under their player mat). All other actions go back into the box and are not used.

Quote:
On number 1 - is that in the rule book somewhere?

It's in the FAQ, which was also included (in print) in the first big expansion, The Stuff of Legend.

Andyfews wrote:
p.s. on the Costume card the underlining of "another" confused me. Any ideas why this isn't underlined on other cards?

Because Costume is a special case; it lets you retrieve a card, but that card cannot be Costume -- even if for some reason you started with multiple Costume cards.

Other cards, like Maneuver, can be used to pick themselves up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fewings
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you very much!

I need to get some expansions! How many are there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Levine
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andyfews wrote:
Thank you very much!

I need to get some expansions! How many are there?

There's a list here, but it doesn't distinguish between promos, mini-expansions, and full ones. A quick breakdown:

Full-Sized Expansions

The Stuff of Legend -- Adds two maps, Supernatural and Mythic heroes, and the concept of random directional rolls.

Elements of Danger -- Adds Elemental heroes, unique bonus cards, alternate action cards, and a mini-expansion "Pros and Ex-Cons." (No maps.)

Co-Op Variant Expansions

Champions & Masterminds 1 and Champions & Masterminds 2 -- both add cards and rules so you can play The Champions of Zeta City and fight their villains, cooperatively instead of competitively.

Mini-Expansions

These add more heroes, villains, and sometimes quirks; no new rules, maps, etc.

Extra, Extra -- Just the four core hero types.
Breaking News -- Includes Mythic and Supernatural heroes.
various "Promo" packs -- Harder to find with fewer cards, for completionists only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.