Innovation Deluxe» Forums » General

Subject: Innovation deluxe, card racks in the original box rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
So I made a thing, and I'm happy with it, and I thought it might be worth a thread in case anyone else thinks it's a good idea.

Innovation, Deluxe Edition, card racks that fit in the original box for free!*:

* Assuming you buy milk cartons anyway and have some basic crafting supplies lying around.

All you need is some milk/juice cartons, some wood glue or similar, a craft knife, and some paperclips or similar (oh, and some card - I used packaging from some make-up promotion). Sandpaper is optional.

First step is to fold back the insert that came in the box to make three wells. The centre well stores three un-racked decks, while each side well stores two racks and a pre-racked deck. I know this may seem like a bit of a compromise, but I want the core deck on the table, not a rack, and I've yet to find anyone to play an expansion with, let alone all four, so the prospect of maybe having to put two decks on racks during setup if I ever do isn't so burdensome.

My local two-litre cartons come pre-folded, are sturdy, easy to craft, and thin enough to fit in the box with upright cards.

First, cut a carton down the seam to fold it out flat, then cut horizontally into two strips just wider than a card and discard the rest.

For nearly all Japanese milk cartons, each strip comes pre-folded every 70 mm. Fold each of the three full-length carton face down at 32 mm and up at 63 mm to get triangular ridges that are about 32 mm x 31 mm x 8 mm.

(red lines indicate fold down, blue indicate fold up)

I sanded the inner face of the short carton face, and the outer face of the bottom of each ridge. Then you glue three folded-up strips together, using the paperclips to hold them together while the glue dries.

The back-end you fold similarly, doubling back under the rack to maintain the shape.

The front you can fold to make a small ridge with room for a label.

This all happens to fit nicely in the box, but would be a pain to remove with cards pre-racked, so an additional strip of card to help lift it out comes in handy (the gold tabs at front and back of each card rack).

The two remaining racks can be up-ended on top of the racked cards for storage.

I'm going to finish up the build by dividing the central well into three, so I can ditch the deck box spacers.

Thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.