Subject: buoy turning point priority example rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
air show
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi all

I'm learning the rules of this game, after a lot of study on the forum I would say to be ready, the only doubt is about the buoy turning point. The rules say that within the 2 lenghts zone the nearest boat to the buoy has priority and that a boat in slipstream forces the other to advance to the exit from the area, without being able to maneuvre.

What about this situation:

Play order is Green - Red, start turn: both are one point distance from buoy, orthogonal, not diagonal, so same distance (i think). So who has priority?

If Red has priority, green can only move away form that point or take a penality if he choose to maneuvre.
If Green has priority, and he choose to maneuvre, for ex rotating 45° clockwise, Red can maneuvre or lose turn.

But which rules helps in that case to understand who has priority?

Maybe is Red overlapping Green from the stern? Or it happens only when a boat is directly behind another boat, with the same sailing direction (as for fig. 14 in the rulebook)?

If Red is overlapping from the stern he has priority, so no problem here.

What do you think about it?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this in YEARS! But this question made me look at the rulebook at least! So take my answer lightly Also, I have NOT read through the complete rulebook trying to find an answer for you, but maybe I'll help a little?

The red boat isn't really in bowline so I don't think he has the priority.
Also, he isn't leeward either.

There is no overlap as there is no intersection that they are both able to reach.

RULEBOOK: 3.4 Overlaps and Penalties
Overlaps
For the purposes of the game, two or more boats may be considered to overlap if there exist intersections
that they are both able to reach, so that it is necessary to establish a priority right.
Any boat violating this right will incur a penalty.

Does this help?

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
air show
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I was sure I wouldn't be answered for at least 2 years! Glad to see someone else here!!

Inside the "2 lenght zone" standard priority rules won't works. The only way to detrmine priority is looking for the boat nearest the buoy

rulebook 3.6

"The tack/leeward rules must be applied until the boats reach the 2 lengths zone, i.e. up to a distance
of 2 squares from the buoy. When entering the 2 lengths zone, only the inner buoy position must be
taken into account to judge overlap situations.
In the event of an overlap within the 2 lengths zone, the inner boat will have priority (fig.13).
Therefore, the tack/leeward rules are no longer valid.
Within the 2 lengths zone (including the perimeter), if the boat that holds the inner buoy is overlapped
from the stern by another boat, it looses its priority regardless of the wind direction: the boat cannot
manoeuvre and must move forward (fig.14). The stern overlap is no longer applicable when the boats are completely outside the 2 lengths area.
At this point, the usual overlap rules apply."

More, overlaps can can either involve intersections already occupied: from rulebook 3.4, just after your quote:

"Overlaps can either involve intersections already occupied by a boat and which other boats can
reach (fig.2 and 3), or unoccupied intersections that the boats still have to reach (fig. 9, 10 and 11).
In both cases the overlap rule is that priority is always given to the boat with starboard tack or, in the
case of equal tacks, to the leeward boat."

I think rules are clear about how to handle the situation: inside the 2 lenghts zone the nearest to the buoy has priority, UNLESS the boat that holds the inner buoy is overlapped from the stern by another boat (in this exception, even if nearest, the boat overlapped loses priority).

So the true question, not as easy: who is nearest in my example? I believe Red because if you imagine a circular wave that starts from the buoy and expands itself on the outside, Red boat is touched first.

The other doubt is about when a boat is overlapped from the stern. Sure it happens when a boat is behind another one with the same sailing direction (rulebook, fig 14 ), don't know if there are other situations (but I think no, I asked just to be sure).

Anyway, thanks for reply, I hope that others will also participate in this conversation. At least once a year it's nice to write on this page

;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I "think" I see what you mean, so if the RED boat is going diagonally to the intersection where the center of the green boat sits. That "half" (diagonally) of the block where red boat is positioned (in your diagram), will be closer to the buoy than where the green boat sits at a whole "block" away.

Other than that... I can't really say too much as it wouldn't be fair because I haven't read through the complete rulebook and understand the rules right now. I do remember liking this game though!

It would be nice to hear from a diehard fan of this game!

Either way, just Have FUN!!!

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.