10 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Core game Scenario 2 "cultists" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Markus G.
Germany
flag msg tools
When its time to count the cultists i have found a problem: There are 3 copies Akolyth in the stack.
Does every copy count, or are you only allowed to count 1 of them as
interrogated cultist?

Thanks for your anwers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
Smeary wrote:
When its time to count the cultists i have found a problem: There are 3 copies Akolyth in the stack.
interrogated cultist?

Thanks for your anwers!

Only unique cultist count for the interrogation. Acolytes are not unique and as such do not count for interrogation purposes.

To find unique cultists:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
You need to use the scenario specific action (spend clues to reveal a cultist). This is only in spoilers in case you wanted to figure it our for yourself, since this is clearly stated on the act card.

Also
The cultist deck only contains 5 of 6 unique cultists ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
Netherlands
Haarlem
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smeary wrote:
interrogated cultist?

Thanks for your anwers!

They all don't count. It says that you need to count each "unique" cultist. So only cultist with the unique trait do count.

Spoiler regarding the unique cultists
There are 5 in the Cult of Umordthoth deck and one at the back of agenda 1a
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus G.
Germany
flag msg tools
white2flamez wrote:
Smeary wrote:
interrogated cultist?

Thanks for your anwers!

They all don't count. It says that you need to count each "unique" cultist. So only cultist with the unique trait do count.

Boah thats hard to fulfill to kill or "convince" them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louie Cypher
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another thing to remember is when encountering the Unique cultists you do not have to do the action on their cards to add them to the Victory Pile, you can simply defeat them in combat.

For Example:
HERMAN COLINS' card has the action - Choose and discard 4 cards from your hand: Parley. Add Herman Collins to the victory display.

So you can either discard 4 cards from your hand or defeat him

I say this because the first couple of play throughs I did it didnt dawn on me that this is an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hotovec
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It also should be noted, this scenario is still regarded as one of the most difficult to complete (eg get all 6 unique cultists). So keep trying and remember you don't need all 6 to move on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This confuses a lot of players. The key thing is that Unique is a specific game term. Unique cards have a star next to the card's title, such as Dr. Milan Christopher, Leo de Luca, or any investigator card.

So when it says "Unique cultists", it means cards that have both a) a star by their title and b) the "Cultist" trait (traits being the bold, italicized words at the top of a card's text)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smeary wrote:

Yup!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smeary wrote:
white2flamez wrote:
Smeary wrote:
interrogated cultist?

Thanks for your anwers!

It should be noted that several scenarios in the game don't have binary "win" or "loss" conditions, but rather a gradual progress. Specifically in this case, you want to "defeat" as many cultists as possible, because the more you accomplish the easier the final scenario will be, but you don't "lose" the scenario if you fail to defeat all six. Instead, you'll record what you managed to do according to the resolution instructions at the end, and as you play the rest of the campaign you'll understand how the game accounts for what you accomplished (or failed to accomplish) earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wang
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
The rules for this game are well-written, but until you learn enough to navigate the main rules manual they can be maddeningly hard to find. For example, the "Unique" trait is not defined anywhere that I can find in the "Learn to Play" or the Night of the Zealot campaign guide, so how would you know about the * (which I didn't and I've played two full campaigns) without looking it up in the main rule manual? In addition, although the five cultists of Umordhoth who make up the original cultist deck all have their own symbol, the sixth ("hard to find", although he'll find you) one has the Midnight Masks symbol instead.

I loved the secrecy and mystery of playing NOTZ for the first time and slowly learning things, but I feel they could have been more explicit on a few things so that people who were playing for the experience and so learning as they went along had more specific guidance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.