Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Kim
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hi there!

Christmas is coming and my hand is hovering over the BUY button for some new Games to play over the season.

I often play 2 player Games with my GF and 4 player games in a fixed group.
I'd like to buy games I can utulize with both.

We play quite theme heavy games like:

Blood Rage, SW Rebellion, Scythe, Roll for the Galaxy, Massive Darkness or Abstract Games

Turns out my GF is not so much into Euros besides RFTG(which is constant action and dice throwing and fast I guess). Even though we are from Germany haha.

My "heavy" Euros are Viticulture, Trickerion, Dinosaur Island, Noria (yes I have been to Essen17 ) and they are simply not played....

Even though I dislike the Art in Gaia Project there is something in me that wants do buy it. I have never played TM so I don't know about the Hype.

So my question: Is this a game that only hardcore strategist and math teachers love? Is it to dry to satisfy my girlfriends instant gratification? I personally am a "belly player" myself. All signs are pointing into the direction that it might be the wrong game for us but I am SO INTRIGUED for some strategy masterpiece.

Thank you for your time and sorry for the bad english.

edit: We also don't like Uwe Rosenberg Games as well, meaning dry economic ones. My Gaming buddies like some heavy strategy though. I am in the middle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lrs drn
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I would most definitely not call this game theme-heavy, although everything that happens seems to make thematic sense to me so far.

I did find, however, that it is significantly heavier than Viticulture. Way more paths to follow, and way more information to process. It also has a bit of a learning curve, so I also wouln't list this as a game that provides instant gratification.

However, if you remain intrigued: it has a very good solo mode...

Edit: based on your comments on the games in your collection, I think it might be wise to see if you can try this somewhere first, it indeed seems to be very much the opposite of what you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on what you wrote, you should stay away from this game. It's dry, math-y, and not easy to get into. It feels closer to a Rosenberg than to, say, Roll for the Galaxy. The fun comes from optimization and planning ahead. And I say that as a fan of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It pains me to say it, but do not buy this game. Based on what you wrote, you would probably like it, but it will sit unplayed with the other games you mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
What the others wrote: from what you write about your other games, this is most likely not a game for your girlfriend, and unless you use the excellent solo mode, will probably share the fate of your other "heavy" games (and GP is heavier than most of those).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Kim
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Damn, this is what i almost expected. Maybe I will indeed go for the solo mode and/or try to find the right group for it. But it will probably only be a dust collector which would be sad.

It's interesting that this game is so beloved by many (both TM's) even though it seems to be so heavy and has a high learning curve. I somehow thought a great score like this would also mean "for everyone".

Do you have a recommendation for Euro Games that are more like RFTG? (play length, interaction, sense of achievement)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kimohno wrote:
Damn, this is what i almost expected. Maybe I will indeed go for the solo mode and/or try to find the right group for it. But it will probably only be a dust collector which would be sad.

It's interesting that this game is so beloved by many (both TM's) even though it seems to be so heavy and has a high learning curve. I somehow thought a great score like this would also mean "for everyone".

Do you have a recommendation for Euro Games that are more like RFTG? (play length, interaction, sense of achievement)

Sorry, I can't get over using RFTG for ROLL for the Galaxy, which I consider a garbage game next to it's parent, the REAL RFTG, RACE for the Galaxy.

EDIT: So I guess that's my recommendation: Race for the Galaxy

If you guys like dice rolling where the dice are used in interesting ways and a lighter game that doesn't overstay it's welcome, try Favor of the Pharaoh. That has been a hit with some of my "less heavy game inclined" family members, but it's still interesting enough to keep me engaged.

If you want interesting dice rolling in a medium weight euro, look into Kingsburg.

And if you want dice rolling in a heavier euro, try to find Troyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Kim
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thank you for your fast response. The thing we love about ROLL for the Galaxy is probably not the dice itself, it's the constant flow, no downtimes, enough strategy and asymmetry to play again and again and the low playtime.

Kingsburg I played before and I liked it, it's a good idea, not too heavy, and the second edition was just released. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I really enjoy both of the RsFTG and I'm fairly good at both of them. If she likes one, she might enjoy the other as well.

If the dice chucking and theme is what she enjoys then go for Alien Frontiers. It's fun, simple, and strategic.

You might not like Uwe games, but have you ever tried Bohnaza (Regular or Duel)? Another 2 great Uwe games that are usually enjoyed by women are Patchwork and Cottage Garden. They also come as apps too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Kim
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thank you I will look into Alien Frontiers!

We already play Patchworks Cottage Garden and Azul as our abstract fix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Pyne
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd say its about a Scythe and a half. The in game/economy/planning is similar but a bit deeper, there is no conflict of combat like Scythe, but it also has more points for doing specific things and times and finding synergies and combos that wasn't really in Scythe. Scoring is also more obvious then Scythe. It is less themeey though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emilien M
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kimohno wrote:
I somehow thought a great score like this would also mean "for everyone".

only everyone that dares to try it... and there's the limit of the concept, you only rate what you try and you only try things that you might like in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Doe
Spain
Valdoviño
A Coruña
flag msg tools
kimohno wrote:
Thank you for your fast response. The thing we love about ROLL for the Galaxy is probably not the dice itself, it's the constant flow, no downtimes, enough strategy and asymmetry to play again and again and the low playtime.

Kingsburg I played before and I liked it, it's a good idea, not too heavy, and the second edition was just released. Thanks.

I think Rajas of the Ganjes might be an option to explore https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/220877/rajas-ganges

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
ROLL for the Galaxy...a garbage game next to it's parent, the REAL RFTG, RACE for the Galaxy.

Truer words have never been spoken.

beuckelssen wrote:

I think Rajas of the Ganjes might be an option to explore https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/220877/rajas-ganges

Not a bad suggestion for a straight mid-weight euro that is accessible for casual to next level gamers, although if you're looking for theme, this ain't it.

Gaia Project is amazing. The solo mode is actually quite good, and I care very little for most solo games. I know it's on the expensive side, but you could play solo and hope that someday, just maybe, your girlfriend will take a liking to it.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
She won't. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kimohno wrote:

I'm a big believer that anyone who is not playing Concordia, should be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
Race Bannon wrote:
kimohno wrote:

I'm a big believer that anyone who is not playing Concordia, should be.
True, but it's not exactly "fast-paced" either, and luck is (fortunately) also mostly absent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
Race is a much better 2-player game than Roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Kim
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Concordias Cover makes it hard to investigate it further Which is stupid but still true for me haha. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding Concordia, I'm really the opposite of almost all people: I think the cover is perfectly fine (seriously, what's wrong with it?), but the game bores me.

As for shorter, lighter, but still interesting Euros, look at Stone Age, Saint Petersburg (second edition), Hansa Teutonica, or (a step up) Puerto Rico.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Kim
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I just wanted to give an update that we bought and played it.

I really really like it! Strategy and replayability seem endless. I am more a tactical player so I will probably never score greatly but i still enojy expanding and climbing those tech tracks.

My gf likes it, it was just a bit too long and heavy on first try. She won though

Looking forward to play it with the group, they dont know TM though and teaching this will be tough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.