Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing through various combinations of scenario 6 variants and am unsure about the effects of 6F jamming when combined with 6H or 6B.

The historical flavor text Background of 6F says the British "Window" jamming threw "ground control radars, flak/searchlight radars and early Lichtenstein AI radars" "into chaos".

But the concrete Special Rules of 6F mention only game effects on L-band AI radar and radar-directed searchlights. No game effects on flak or ground radar are mentioned.

Is there an effect on flak (6B)?
(I hesitantly suppose not.)

Is there an effect on Naxos (6H)?
Naxos seems to be neither AI radar nor true ground radar, but works like ground radar...
(I hesitantly suppose that Naxos is considered heavily jammed as per ground radar jamming rules. I.e. in solitaire play, a roll of 1-4 means "no effect" when doing a Naxos search for a bomber with H2S.)

Does the answer depend on 2-player vs solitaire? (I suppose not.)

===

PS: I'm surprised that 6F is normally worth -3, but is worth 0 when combined with 6O or 6Q.

Making it 0 with 6O makes sense (because 6F would have no effect with 6O if all fighters have SN-2c).

But making it 0 with 6Q (and not 6O) surprises me because 6Q (Uhu) gives us 2 fighters with SN-2c, but the remaining Ju88 and Me110 are still L-band AI radar and are thus heavily jammed by 6F.

So I'd expect 6F to be worth something negative (-1 or -2) rather than 0, if combined with 6Q without 6O.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Morss
United States
Sanford
Maine
flag msg tools
Radar and ECM rules in Nightfighter do not correspond to historical reality, so don't look for much specific representation on the individual systems.

Start with the core radar mechanic of Search and Sweep -

LBW himself has said
Quote:
The search and sweep radar counters are not intended to recreate actual searches of sectors of sky, as if you were training radar beams on particular portions of the map. The game mechanic does not map to real-world procedures. Radar in this era was an inexact tool, and so what I've tried to capture in the mechanic is some of the black art of assembling an air picture from fuzzy information provided by radar. This is very much design for flavour. It is not historical.

Freya was ground based long-range radar. This was early warning, directional only, with no altitude detection. It was not used to direct a NF to an specific bomber as used in the game. It could be said that Freya is the source of pre-game intel such as raid size (massive or normal), component (main force or stragglers), and bias (red or yellow entry chits), and the reason your NF has arrived at the zone in time.

As the bombers approached the Himmelbett zone, Freya intel was "handed off" to Wurzburg and the zone controller (Jägerleitoffizier).

Würzburg was ground based shorter range radar giving information on approaching bombers to searchlights, flak and fighters. It was the primary means of height finding. In a Himmelbett zone there were typically two Würzburgs, one on the NF and one on a target. The zone controller used these plots to direct the NF to the general area of a target bomber where the pilot resorted to AI or visual sighting. The game's Search and Sweep counters provide a rough model of this.

Naxos and Flensburg was fitted to German fighters to permit them to home onto H2S radio transmissions from the bomber stream. This was more of a big-picture factor - directional only (to the bomber stream) - it was not used to home in on individual aircraft.

Source: Luftwaffe night fighter control methods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rdmorss wrote:
Radar and ECM rules in Nightfighter do not correspond to historical reality, so don't look for much specific representation on the individual systems.

Thanks for that design info and historical info, but it still leaves me uncertain about the concrete question of whether 6F (Window jamming) has a game effect on Naxos (or on flak)...?

Did you intend a game rule answer to be implied by your info, and I'm not connecting the dots competently?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Morss
United States
Sanford
Maine
flag msg tools
russ wrote:
...it still leaves me uncertain about the concrete question of whether 6F (Window jamming) has a game effect on Naxos (or on flak)...?

Window - metal strips dumped in bulk from the air - was sized specifically to jam the frequency of Freya and Wurzburg.

H2S radar (and Naxos receivers) operated at a higher frequency (X-band microwaves) so Window jamming would not effect Naxos.

Since Flak used Wurzburg for altitude determination, there _could_ be a game effect of Window on Flak. But Flak gunners also benefited from the searchlights, the glow from the the burning city, and the flash-lighting of their shell explosions on nearby bombers, so the net effect is negligible in game terms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rdmorss wrote:
Window - metal strips dumped in bulk from the air - was sized specifically to jam the frequency of Freya and Wurzburg.

H2S radar (and Naxos receivers) operated at a higher frequency (X-band microwaves) so Window jamming would not effect Naxos.

Since Flak used Wurzburg for altitude determination, there _could_ be a game effect of Window on Flak. But Flak gunners also benefited from the searchlights, the glow from the the burning city, and the flash-lighting of their shell explosions on nearby bombers, so the net effect is negligible in game terms.

Great, thanks for that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.