hench critter
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the original BaHotH. However even there I understood that second edition ironed out a lot of nasty flaws. Glad I have that edition.

Then on this expansion. When it came out I anticipated it. But then I looked at the non spoiler parts. The fact they put in the rooms where you could draw from any deck but forgot the consequences for the haunt mechanic, was a yellow flag for me. Just putting mechanics in and not asking how they interacted with the core mechanics, is a sign of poor game development.

But what I don't know are the haunts. Now the dust are settled: how are they? Are they
-Clear and playable, without bickering over rules?
-A bit balanced (I know BaHotH is amerithrash, both at its best and worst)
-Fun?

Thanks for the replies and please keep it spoiler free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Every time I play, the haunts have us bickering. The rules are simply not clearly written. This makes sense as they were written by guest writers, not game designers.

I still like the game, but it's a problem that has become worse with Widow's Walk.

Fun? Yeah, it's still fun, but the haunt rules bother me every time we play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hench critter
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Polioliolio: thanks. unbalanced haunts, I ca live with those. They are part of the game. But I dislike unclear rules that lead to bickering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm zero for two in terms of expansion haunts so far.

The initial rules often feel clear and the concepts have been very cool.

But balance issues have been huge. The first one we all decided was nearly impossible for the heroes to win as written. The second was nearly impossible for the traitor.

And a big part of that is that in both cases it was very unclear as to what was considered a "victory." That's pretty darn important. If I play a scenario and it ends with everyone baffled and arguing over whether the game is actually over and why, it pretty much cancels out whatever fun came before.

There were some rules issues in the base game but nothing we couldn't figure out. Our experiences so far with the expansion have convinced me that playtesting didn't happen at all. Even a quick read-through should have caught some very big omissions and contradictions. I'm not happy with this expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm. I don't recall the details now, but I've played two Window's Walk scenarios and didn't have any major rules confusion.

I'll look at it later and see if I can get more specifics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hench critter
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the pete wrote:
There were some rules issues in the base game but nothing we couldn't figure out. Our experiences so far with the expansion have convinced me that playtesting didn't happen at all. Even a quick read-through should have caught some very big omissions and contradictions. I'm not happy with this expansion.
Thanks, useful info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.