Hide
7 Posts

Napoleon in Europe» Forums » Variants

Subject: House rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Herman Broekhuizen
msg tools
Hi there. Just acquired NIE, after played it a long, long time ago.
I want to play it with Christmass with my group (My sons and friends) and we have played some little starters from scenarios , just to see how things work out, and for clarification of the rules.
We are all excited, because the game gives a real good feel about the time period and above all, the battles are awesome.
There are a few things we stumbled upon and thought that were maybe some house rules to get it more smooth. The first thig we noticed is that people try to "blob/amass"their army, and when finally a major major battle occurs, the loser is chewed up bij the PAPs from the victor and his allies. Maybe a size limit, or penalty ?
And we thought that withdrawal from battle is too soon; You can withdraw in the second round, even before offensive infantry can have a shot.
I think that this game could get even better, or is
Hope to hear from you before Christmass

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not what you are looking for, but anyway: http://dartagnan.us/NIE/

There are of course various other house rules available, you might look through the Files section here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NiE is a great game, but I've had trouble getting it to the table for years because of its length. I would recommend starting with 1814 or maybe 1813 for the game, because it will take considerable time to play it.

One of the biggest time eaters is battle resolution, which is similar to resolution in some block games (i.e, units assigned to left, center, and right flanks, and reserve.) We once had a major battle that took 45 min. to resolve. It was fun, but time consuming. I believe that some house rules have an abbreviated battle resolution scheme.

When a nation loses a major battle, there is indeed a loss of territory. The victors hold a congress and determine who is annexing what. Don't mitigate the effects of this because it's a major part of the game and has a lot of historical feel. And don't forget that the loser cannot be attacked for a year -- however, the loser can initiate an attack if desired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Martin
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One house rule (of many!) I've implemented is a 20 unit stacking limit. That's still a huge army, but... armies can easily reach or exceed that size. I've found that has encouraged France to form two or even three significant armies (plus smaller defensive armies), while the other nations tend to form one large and one smaller army each (plus various international armies).

I would love to see a quicker battle-resolution system, but I don't think there's realistically any way to significantly simply battles while still preserving the distinctiveness of the unit types. If you abstract the battles too much, then there is no reason to differentiate between, say, artillery and infantry at this scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrgeneraldude wrote:
I would love to see a quicker battle-resolution system, but I don't think there's realistically any way to significantly simply battles while still preserving the distinctiveness of the unit types. If you abstract the battles too much, then there is no reason to differentiate between, say, artillery and infantry at this scale.

Agreed. An Axis & Allies type system would be far less satisfying. The NiE system feels like an abstract miniatures system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Malczak
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also some Fast Play rules (both with and without a custom card deck). I'm in the process of making a kind of hybrid version of the rules using some concepts of the Fast Play rules (no custom cards) and the regular Advanced Rules (with a few other added concepts thrown in ).

But if you want to discourage the mega-stacks, use the optional Supply rules from the Fast Plays. Now if someone rolls around with just a huge stack you can cut it off and force it to start taking attrition. This tends to disperse the armies a bit more as you need to guard supply lines. And it creates some interesting little skirmishes which add a lot to the tension and decision-making.

The Fast Play rules also include a faster combat resolution method although I prefer to use the full battle system since I consider that the showpiece of the game overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
On BGG, house rules and house rule discussions belong in the Variants forum, not General.

(Clicking the red X at the top of a thread and selecting "Wrong Forum" notifies the admins that a thread should be moved. I've just done so for this one.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.