United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
Miami Nights: Drive Hard
badge
Miami Nights: Drive Hard
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I picked up Sushi Go Party! awhile back and I'm finally getting around to reviewing it after enough playthroughs. It has worked with the two of us at home, but has also been a hit with 3 or 4.

Theme: A sushi restaurant! You're in charge of putting together a mix of menu items from Rolls, to Appetizers, to Specials, to Desserts. It sounds silly or borderline childish, but it's a lot of fun. We happen to love sushi, so we do get a little extra satisfaction from the game. Most of the time we play a handful of rounds, and then marvel at how hungry we are and order sushi.

The bright colors and cartoony cards, with faces on them, work well with the theme. I'm not sure actual pictures of raw fish would have done much for drawing people's attention. And furthermore, my wife and I learned of new foods we had previously never had. How many board games can say they've taught you new things to enjoy in the real world. Mmmm, Temaki.

Quality: The game comes in a nice tin box. I got really excited about the card tray insert at first. It's great that I can keep the different types of cards separate in individual slots, but for some of the card types with the fewest number of cards, they don't really sit snuggly in the slot. It's a minor complaint, but it's better than nothing.

The cards could have been a thicker stock, but I wouldn't say they have taken away from the experience. Many other games have had much more noticeably disappointing cards. The main board is where the ingredients for the current game go. There are little recessed cutouts for the cards, which is great. But the board itself is rather small, so when unfolded, it tends to want to rise like a tent. Sure that happens to all kinds of boards out there, but since the small meeples move along the outside of the board, it is a little annoying when they're so easily knocked out of place.

Gameplay: Every menu item has a different way of getting you points, requiring players to decide which items they'll pursue. You take one card, pass the rest to your left. All the players get to see all the hands, so the key is playing against each other with no secrets. It's all out there on the table and you'll start to see that Jen is going for the Wasabi or Billy is snatching all the Dumplings. Time to readjust your strategy. At the end of the round, whoever has the most points wins.

I think the game works really well and there are different combinations of ingredients that can make the game more or less challenging. I'll admit, with no shame, that my wife kicks my butt in this game all the time. I think she's leaning heavily in one direction, so I start to crash her plans and steal cards, but then she beats me with something else in the end. It's a game that can take awhile to learn all the little nuances and there is no mastering it because you're at the mercy of your opponent's card drafting and strategy.

Conclusion: Sushi Go Party! is a fun, light-hearted, and potentially competitive battle of a game. I wouldn't say it comes out all the time, but it is without a doubt one of the better filler games we have. I assume it would be perfect for children. And it definitely plays well with 2 for all you coupled gamers out there. It can be acquired for relatively cheap and there is a reason it's sold everywhere these days. So get out there and give it a Shusi Go!

8/10 for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.