Rob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Positivity is fucking rad
badge
So is Pokemon
mbmbmbmbmb
La Chanson de Roland

A set for 19 themed on the Epic French 11th Century-ish poem of the same name and themed appropriately!
I hope this is a balanced set - I don't do balance super well, so I can only hope it provides an entertaining game! RP is mildly encouraged, though I would prefer if RP were to be done, it be legible for the other players in the game as a courtesy.
I may or may not be providing theme for the game - I want to, but if I'm going to I'd prefer to have it all mapped out pre-game and that's a time commitment I'll see if I can make time for!

Sidenote: this poem deals with the topic of religion quite heavily, specifically in the valorising of Christianity against all other religions - of which the poem generalises as "Pagans" and "Saracens" - both of which aren't actually what we would term either notion. Please ensure you're aware I do not endorse the pitting of religions against one another and please keep Religious talk to a minimum =)

Team Good

GS roles

Roland - Roland must choose every night, beginning n0 whether to be Tough, or Brutal for the next day/night cycle. Once either ability has been used, he may not use the other. Will be informed upon losing his Tough if that occurs.
Oliver - Oliver is a parity Hunter, who will defy evil parity at 1-1 situations.
Roland et Olivier, le preux et le noble

Archbishop Turpin - Turpin has the power to once per game, forcibly decide the lynch - this must be inputted 5 minutes before Dusk and once used cannot be used again.
L'archevêque Turpin l'a bien entendu. Sous le ciel il n'est homme qu'il haïsse plus.

Count Gerin - Gerin is a Mason with his brother Gerer
Count Gerer - Gerer is a Mason with his brother Gerin
Gerin vient et le preux comte Gerier

Villager roles

Samson the Duke
Anseis the Fierce
Engeler of Bordeaux
Oton
Berenger
Duke Naimes
Alda
Gerard of Rousillon
Thierry

Two of the Villagers will be unaware Priests, and as long as both are alive, the game will be full reveal. Once one dies, the NK will not be revealed, and once both die the game will be No Reveal.

One Villager will have an unknown Tough of the non-Priest Villagers

Villagers will be told they are Villagers, and NOT their name, the name is just for flavour for me =)

Team Evil

Max Evils

King Marsile - Marsile is Tough to one death, and is informed if he loses this Tough
Le roi Marsile la tient, qui n'aime pas Dieu.

Baligant - Baligant is Brutal upon death
à Babylone il a requis Baligant : c'est l'émir

Falsaron - Falsaron is a Vanilla Wolf
Un duc est là, qui a nom Falsaron. Celui-là était le frère du roi Marsile

Aux Evils

Aelroth - Aelroth is a Wolf Cub, who will know the identity of Marsile, and promotes upon the death of the first wolf
Le neveu de Marsile – il a nom Aelroth

Blancandrin - Blancandrin is a progressively-informed Cultist. He begins the game with no knowledge of his team, but may view every night for members of his team. If his target is good, he will be told they are not on his team - if his target is evil, he will be told what type of evil (Max/Aux)
Entre les païens Blancandrin était sage

Ganelon - Ganelon is a Traitor who works for evil, but is uninformed. He is a Jester and when killed, will flip any role currently alive in the game
Ganelon y vint, qui fit la trahison.

THE OLIPHANT

Roland will start with the Oliphant - and its purpose will only be useful when the level of reveal has dropped. Once blown, the Oliphant will allow Charlemagne to hear of Roland's plight, and I will post to the thread the number of remaining parity Evils. It CANNOT be passed, and can only be blown by Roland to summon reinforcements. The horn will also be automatically blown upon Roland's death to signify his passing with the same in-game effect.

Lynch will be at 5PM BGG, and Dawn at 5:45PM

Rorab Rules!

- If you do not post sufficiently over the course of a game day, then I will replace you. Sufficiency is up to my discretion, but essentially, provided you post at least like 4-5 posts about the game per day and cast a vote, then you're fine. It's okay if you don't feel you can, in which case please tell me and I will seek a replacement - try to be proactive if you don't think you can manage it - there's no penalty for needing to hop out.

- If you are not civil towards your fellow players, I will issue a warning in your mod chat, and any further infractions will be subject to me asking you to leave your seat in the game. I understand Werewolf is a heated game and can lead to stressful situations and relationships, and I don't ask you to be friends with everyone you play - just that you respect them as players and do not try to cause them harm.
As a sidenote - if something has cropped up in-game, please inform me instead of railing against that player in thread regardless of how much you may think they deserve it. Most things in games are unintentional, so please try to assume as much, and if not - inform me so I can handle it.

- If you have a question about the game, please ask me for clarification in your mod chat as opposed to posting it in thread - I won't always be reading the entire thread and so might not see it.

- CONDITIONALS. If you have a Brutal, PLEASE give me a conditional brutal for the circumstance in which your target dies without your knowledge. The penalty for an unset brutal or an invalid brutal will be to randomly kill a player on your team.

- Standard rules such as: NO zombie posting that isn't permitted by me, NO quoting from mod chat, NO posting after deadlines, Editing posts is fine provided you give an explanation in said post, NO deleting posts.

- Late posting in general is okay, I know it can sometimes be very easy to accidentally do, but posting game-changing info to the thread outside of posting times WILL result in a modkill of you and one random teammate. Please watch out for the clock. If you make a habit of late posting, I will warn you, and then if it happens again, your vote will be nullified for that day.

- There will be NO NIGHT POSTING

Just be bloody civil to one another k?

Thanks to Royal for set help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Project
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player List According to Cassandra:
BerenCamlost
dejojam1
DeMorcerf
GaiusJC
Irina_Phoenix
PaperF

6 players are signed up.

To sign up for this game go to
http://cassandrawerewolf.com/game/1903777

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
So is Pokemon
mbmbmbmbmb
I should also say, feel free to critique the set before considering signing up - one thing that I find helpful is other people's thoughts on the set, and no-one will have more of a perspective on how it feels than someone playing =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucky Me, Lucky Mud
msg tools
badge
mb
I love the concept! But I think you have the teams backwards. The Franks were very much the informed minority, historically and thematically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucky Me, Lucky Mud
msg tools
badge
mb
Also, I had missed the association with the name Ganelon until just now. Rather funny, as my son's name is about 0.5% allusion to Corwin, Prince of Amber.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
So is Pokemon
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhanddom wrote:
I love the concept! But I think you have the teams backwards. The Franks were very much the informed minority, historically and thematically.

Heh, that is fair - but it is La Chanson de Roland - and no matter what, he is the "good guy" against the evil folk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Zarski-Riley
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
I may or may not be a Wolf
badge
I am a cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this could go badly for Good if the Priests die early, because no Seer and no reveal doesn't give Good a lot to work of in terms of certainty? I guess they have a big numbers advantage though. Not sure. I guess I'm just looking at the possibility that a Villy gets done D1 but it was one of your Priests. Maybe an unaware night Priest and aware Day Priest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucky Me, Lucky Mud
msg tools
badge
mb
Also,

Quote:
Rorab Rules!

Yes, he does. kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
So is Pokemon
mbmbmbmbmb
Smugvid wrote:
I think this could go badly for Good if the Priests die early, because no Seer and no reveal doesn't give Good a lot to work of in terms of certainty? I guess they have a big numbers advantage though. Not sure. I guess I'm just looking at the possibility that a Villy gets done D1 but it was one of your Priests. Maybe an unaware night Priest and aware Day Priest?

I've been struggling with the Priest bit, originally the set had a definitive Tough Priest a la the 19er. I'm torn between just editing it your way, or going for the Tough Priest and maybe making an evil a bit spicier?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
So is Pokemon
mbmbmbmbmb
For full disclosure, my main concern is how vanilla the set is - which isn't a problem definitively, but vanilla sets tend to be a tiny bit more fractious in nature due the lack of confirmable views - and also there's a distinct lack of places for evils to false claim. I'm still thinking about it and working on it to see how I feel though, and I'm very glad for people chipping in =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Westwood
Kansas
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
Smile!
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Rorab wrote:
Smugvid wrote:

I've been struggling with the Priest bit, originally the set had a definitive Tough Priest a la the 19er. I'm torn between just editing it your way, or going for the Tough Priest and maybe making an evil a bit spicier?

I think the horn helps with the info bit somewhat.

Perhaps allow the horn to be blown after death somehow?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Zarski-Riley
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
I am a cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Rorab wrote:
Smugvid wrote:

Hmm, I hadn't seen the Oliphant bit though, that's a boost, but obviously sucks if Roland is dead too. Maybe have it blown with his dying breath if he dies during no reveal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
So is Pokemon
mbmbmbmbmb
Smugvid wrote:
The_Rorab wrote:
Smugvid wrote:

Hmm, I hadn't seen the Oliphant bit though, that's a boost, but obviously sucks if Roland is dead too. Maybe have it blown with his dying breath if he dies during no reveal?

That's a nice work-around, I like it =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Zarski-Riley
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
I am a cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
I promise I hadn't seen your post Royal, not just rephrasing your thoughts for credit!

With regard to the claimable roles issue, you could perhaps split the Masons, have one view for the other and they get a chat if successful, and the other is literally just a named role if not found?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokah
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
We all need it!
badge
This hairstyle was fun for a day, but tooooo much hair for my tastes.
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Rorab wrote:
For full disclosure, my main concern is how vanilla the set is - which isn't a problem definitively, but vanilla sets tend to be a tiny bit more fractious in nature due the lack of confirmable views - and also there's a distinct lack of places for evils to false claim. I'm still thinking about it and working on it to see how I feel though, and I'm very glad for people chipping in =)

I don't think that is what makes them fractious, actually. I think it is the lack of mysterious motivations to impute to others.

If someone makes a weird grammatical slip on D1 towards someone else that seems meaningful, you sit back and think, "is that a n0 hint?" or wonder if it is connected to their role. You observe more if someone seems to hiding.

Vanilla games tend to have more straight jumping on each other instead, and because there's little to no role stuff to discuss, kind of wander into this in your face style of dissecting each other, which with established meta ruts, can turn personal feeling.

That doesn't happen every game, I just think it is why it is slightly more prone to happen early on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucky Me, Lucky Mud
msg tools
badge
mb
Looking back briefly at the text of the Chanson, I am reminded of how much of my own experience of the poem is informed by having first read it in Patricia Terry's translation. It is much more to my taste than Charles Scott Moncrief's, whose floridity of word choice seems needlessly untrue to the original. I see now that Dorothy Sayers did a Roland; that's going on my Christmas wishlist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokah
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
We all need it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Rorab's gotten an earful of commentary from me on stuff and has some rule clarifications that aren't clear in the OP last I checked.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
So is Pokemon
mbmbmbmbmb
TFang wrote:
(Rorab's gotten an earful of commentary from me on stuff and has some rule clarifications that aren't clear in the OP last I checked.)

I believe I've updated the OP, hit me up if I still have some stuff missed =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokah
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
We all need it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Rorab wrote:
TFang wrote:

I believe I've updated the OP, hit me up if I still have some stuff missed =)

Yeah, looks good. =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lemon
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed. Will be gauging how I feel when it gets closer to full. I like the vanilla lean, just have to be in the right mood for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Westwood
Kansas
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
Smile!
mbmbmbmbmb
Smugvid wrote:
I promise I hadn't seen your post Royal, not just rephrasing your thoughts for credit!

great minds and all that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lemon
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
mbmbmbmbmb
nolemonplease wrote:
Subscribed. Will be gauging how I feel when it gets closer to full. I like the vanilla lean, just have to be in the right mood for them.

Alternatively, I'll sign up to help show accurate interest, if you don't mind me dropping and re-upping on whims (as I do ).

An alert that it's full before it goes into go mode would be sweet, though, so I can do a sanity check at that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
So is Pokemon
mbmbmbmbmb
nolemonplease wrote:
nolemonplease wrote:

Alternatively, I'll sign up to help show accurate interest, if you don't mind me dropping and re-upping on whims (as I do ).

An alert that it's full before it goes into go mode would be sweet, though, so I can do a sanity check at that time.

That's absolutely fine =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucky Me, Lucky Mud
msg tools
badge
mb
The_Rorab wrote:
nolemonplease wrote:
nolemonplease wrote:

That's absolutely fine =)

You people really know how to twist my arm. In-ish, on terms similar to límonlímon's, if that's alright?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neutrina

Pittsburgh
msg tools
I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once.
badge
But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.
mbmbmb
What is this? Can I do it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.