Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
Descent 2nd Edition Community Rules Reference Guide
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired by the lively discussion on monster focus, movement and attacks in many threads, I created a visual reference for the Gloomhaven monster AI. It is designed to clearly separate focus from movement/ attack and can serve as a quick visual reference during play.

Download link for the pdf version.

I am grateful for comments, corrections, etc.]
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mb
I am not sure about your example 3.2 (the one with the trap).

Shouldn't the monster consider the trap as an obstacle? In this case the path to attack is up -> up -> up/left. This path exists with infinite movement, so the monster will not consider any path going through the trap.

Hence the monster says put, because a movement of 2 doesn't bring it any closer to the attack hex.

Where am I wrong?

EDIT: how do you create those pictures, btw? is there an easy way/tool that one can use?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. I think your perspective is correct here. Will modify as soon as possible.

No, there is no easy way to do this. It's all manual graphic design using material from the GH creators pack.

EDIT: Correction of Figure 3.2 completed and new version uploaded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SovietVVinter
msg tools
Wouldn't the focus in 2.3 be the character with 35 initiative instead of the one with 85 initiative because it is earlier in the turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's 05 not 85. A little hard to read in the font that GH uses. I might need to change that.

EDIT: Replaced 05 by 15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mb
In figure 3.2, there still is a path which does not go through the trap. It is the same as before: up -> up -> up/left. I don't think the monster will spring the trap, it will just stop after one move.

if you want to make it work, you should replace the last skeleton with an obstacle, or use a larger corridor (three hexes wide).

EDIT: I noticed that it stops after one step now, sorry!

Great idea making this, btw!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
looks very good and well made

only missing example is multitargeting + proximity + disadvantage combos rules.

Quote:

rules 2.0 RAW
, rules in the new FAQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mhl7 wrote:
I don't think the monster will spring the trap, it will just stop after one move.

Exactly. The red X on the trap hex indicates that. My intention is to clarify that although the monster could still move another hex, it does not as there is still another path to the green attack-hex (your up-up-up/left).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mb
Still thinking about the trap, I have a suggestion:

you could make another example, which is similar to 3.2, but replace the top-most skeleton with a boulder. In this case the active monster will spring the trap and it is good to have them both for comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Morthai, could you give an example, preferably using the blue tile? Maybe I can squeeze another figure in. I would like to keep it one-sided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadgit wrote:
mhl7 wrote:
I don't think the monster will spring the trap, it will just stop after one move.

Exactly. The red X on the trap hex indicates that. My intention is to clarify that although the monster could still move another hex, it does not as there is still another path to the green attack-hex (your up-up-up/left).

to 3.1 and 3.2 it would be better to show the correct path through the allied monster instead of the incorrect path.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the moment I am using green lines only for actual movement (with green dots) or invalid movement (red cross, without green dots). I did not include movement paths (yellow in figures 1 and 2) in figures 3 as I think that would end up too crowded. Maybe I should delete the green lines to the attack hex in 3.1., 3.2. and 3.4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
try it out with the yellow paths i think it shouldnt be too crowded in 3.1 and 3.2

also kinda missing is that ranged monsters dont move away to their maximum range
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really great file! Thanks for doing this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated the AI card:

- added immobilized monsters
- added movement paths for figures under section 3.
- added figure showing movement of ranged attackers with Disadvantage
- added figure showing movement and priorities of ranged attackers with Disadvantage and multiple enemies
- modified wording for clarity

Please can someone look at 3.5 and 3.6 and confirm that this reflects the current official rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
looks good! Althou 6 is still in debation with isaac as it changes a RAW.

gretings Morthai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, will modify it if necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aflorin wrote:
New FAQ entry:

After determining focus, how exactly does a monster move to maximize its attack on additional targets?
It will determine where to move by prioritizing the following before moving:
1st - Lose disadvantage on its primary focus
2nd - Gain as many extra targets as possible using the focus rules from its current position to determine each target's priority
3rd - Lose disadvantage on the extra targets (all equal priority, players decide ties)

This should clear up the open questions.

seems I was right

So in 6 it would target all 3 and move 2 up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I modified the reference card to reflect the new FAQ. Added version number in lower right corner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I identified an error in the Find focus part.
The rule book states that ties after movement path length and proximity are resolved by initiative order not by initiative value.

Quote:
If more than one enemy ties for being the closest, the second priority is to focus on the enemy who is earlier in the initiative order (summons are focused on before the character who summoned them in this regard, even on the round they are summoned, and a character who is performing a long rest would be focused on last).

"Initiative order" is established after character and monster ability cards are revealed and determines the sequence in which figures take their turns. If focusing is based on the "initiative order" (not the initiative value) ties are only possible if two characters long rest. If two player play leading cards with identical initiative values, initiative order is determined by the initiative value of the non-leading card. If still tied, players decide.

It this view correct? If yes, I guess I need to modify the Find focus part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Schuster
Austria
Innsbruck
Tirol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a sidenote: When do the players decide if this very rare situation comes up? On the beginning on the turn, when initiative order is determined, or during the turn?

I ask because more often than not we ask things like "I'm on 24, anyone else going before me?" after the monster with initiative 15 took its turn. So we usually don't do a dedicated "determine initiative step" at the beginning of the turn.

I suppose that in the few cases where this kind of draw comes up, it would not make a big difference anyways. But Murphy's law dictates that it is going to be super-important at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule book states that initiative order is established before any turn.

In my group we started to use standees with cardboard labeled 1-10. Each character, summon and monster receives 1 standee before anyone takes their turn. If two players e.g. long rest, they still know who goes first, based on their standee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadgit wrote:
I think I identified an error in the Find focus part.
The rule book states that ties after movement path length and proximity are resolved by initiative order not by initiative value.

Quote:
If more than one enemy ties for being the closest, the second priority is to focus on the enemy who is earlier in the initiative order (summons are focused on before the character who summoned them in this regard, even on the round they are summoned, and a character who is performing a long rest would be focused on last).

"Initiative order" is established after character and monster ability cards are revealed and determines the sequence in which figures take their turns. If focusing is based on the "initiative order" (not the initiative value) ties are only possible if two characters long rest. If two player play leading cards with identical initiative values, initiative order is determined by the initiative value of the non-leading card. If still tied, players decide.

It this view correct? If yes, I guess I need to modify the Find focus part.

Yep. Leading the nonleading card. Only 2resting players or two characters with 2 identcal initiative values on leading and secondary card are the rare occurence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bugh
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Download link seems to be broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbugh wrote:
Download link seems to be broken.

I am working on an updated version. Will be available soon.

EDIT: Updated Monster AI Reference v1.1 available from opening post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.