Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michele Bellana
Italy
Lido di Camaiore
LU
flag msg tools
Hi, I have a question about the rules.
Can I build fences in order to create an empty pasture and avoid the -1 malus from those spaces? Even if I can't put animals in it?
And if I can avoid the -1 for every spaces filled with that empty pasture, does it also count as a pasture even if there aren't animals in it?

Thank you and sorry for if english is not that good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Your English is far better than my... anything else. I think the English word for "malus" is "penalty."

Yes, a pasture is not an empty space. Any space enclosed by fences is a pasture and thus avoids the penalty and counts toward the number of pastures you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
Your English is far better than my... anything else. I think the English word for "malus" is "penalty."

Actually malus is an English word. It has a more specific than I guess other languages in that it seems to be only used in the financial system (banks and insurance etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also build stables outside pastures to avoid the -1 penalty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
wombat929 wrote:

Actually malus is an English word. It has a more specific than I guess other languages in that it seems to be only used in the financial system (banks and insurance etc).

Huh, interesting! Looking it up, I can see that its origin is Latin and, as you indicated, it carries a specific meaning of financial penalty in English.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, a pasture still gives you points and prevents the negative empty space points, even if there are no animals in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Bellana
Italy
Lido di Camaiore
LU
flag msg tools
wombat929 wrote:

Thank you!

Thank you everybody for the answers
We've made a lot of mistakes playing Agricola for the very first time, but this has been one of the few things we did right ahahah

This fantastic thread already answered many questions I had about the rules but this one wasn't specified

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.