Space Cadets: Away Missions» Forums » General

Subject: Why use Decoy Markers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Still learning game a bit, and I'm setting up the 2nd scenario. It says to take 5 decoy markers and 1 elevator marker, shuffle them, and put them on 6 specific, random tiles. If you ever flip the Elevator marker, replace it with the actual Elevator tile.

I'm not seeing why you should bother with the decoy markers. Why not just take the actual Elevator tile, shuffle it with 5 random tiles, and put them face down in the 6 locations? That's how other setup elements work, so I must be missing something when you reveal a decoy marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the thought process behind that was simply that shuffling markers was easier than shuffling tiles.

But strictly speaking you could probably just use the tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John H
United States
Metro Detroit Area
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeremy,

I'm with you sir, I just shuffle and place the actual tiles. This may have been a rule when components were not final and therefore you could tell which tile it might be. Not sure, but I am all for simplicity.

J
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Alexandria Bay
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does add setup, it's true--but it does have the virtue of clearly identifying on the table which tile might be the objective. I go back and forth on the issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
It does add setup, it's true--but it does have the virtue of clearly identifying on the table which tile might be the objective. I go back and forth on the issue.

This is definitely the reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:

Good point, I hadn't thought of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Gyges wrote:

Ah, good thought, which makes sense for complicated maps. So for simple maps (like the 2nd) I'll just shuffle tiles. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, you guys pretty much covered all the bases in this discussion. There are some missions where just using the tiles might be easier (like Escape from the Slave Saucer, as you mention). But there are others where it's important to know which tiles might have the objective (such as the Thrall Control room in the Boarding Action scenario).

Have fun, Rocketeers! Keep Earth safe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Dan!

Any updates on when the expansion will be coming out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.