18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Next game beyond beloved Monopoly? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
KB W
msg tools
Hi.
We have eight versions. Love it but ready for something with a similar feel (fun, finance, dice rolling, luck and strategy).
We have Suburbia.
Usually just the two of us but sometimes more.
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Nicholson
United States
Gilmer
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I think Hotel Tycoon by Asmodee would be a good fit. I really like it and it was a Monopoly killer for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Vegas

Fires Monopoly in pretty much every way I can think of.

Won't be that great with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest Acquire. Still dealing in hotel real estate, but you have more control over the way things work and it has already proved its longevity by being around over 50 years. I say it is everything that Monopoly could have been done right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
partyoftwo wrote:
We have eight versions.

Ouch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
take a look at The Great Heartland Hauling Co.

cheap on amazon right now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Gillispie
United States
Chamblee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Acquire is my standard answer here, but someone else already suggested. I'll say The Castles of Burgundy; dice for luck, but its controlled. Developing property, and managing your resources. Plays great with two, but goes up to four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Village Idiot
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Lords of Vegas

also consider:

I'm the Boss! (but also 3+ players)
Catan (but also 3+ players)
Las Vegas
Machi Koro
Valeria: Card Kingdoms
New York 1901
Power Grid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wreadsiii wrote:

Pick the second one over the first. Completely fires it. Friends don't let friends play Machi Koro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
If you love it that much definitely make your next move Settlers of Catan.

If you want to branch out a bit into contemporary euro-games then Ticket to Ride or Carcassonne are widely played for a reason.

And if you really want to branch out I would suggest Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Machi Koro
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Village Idiot
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
wreadsiii wrote:

Pick the second one over the first. Completely fires it. Friends don't let friends play Machi Koro.

I agree, but many people prefer Machi Koro for some reason, so I figured I should list it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m gonna +1 New York 1901.

Also, for the simple fact that it is Roll and move, dice chucking, and feels like an old school game, much like Monopoly, I’m gonna throw Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) out there. It doesn’t have the economy or anywhere near the same theme, at all, but the board and the mechanics made me think of Monopoly when I first played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Catan

I know it's the "standard" gateway, but, for someone who loves Monopoly, I think it would be a logical next step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
partyoftwo wrote:
Hi.
We have eight versions. Love it but ready for something with a similar feel (fun, finance, dice rolling, luck and strategy).
We have Suburbia.
Thanks.

Look for Fast Food Franchise for monopoly-like actions and includes advertising, building franchises to take over other properties across the board, deals, hostile takeovers, etc.

Very much the monopoly feel with luck and strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Unplugged since... 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
My replacements:

Machi Koro: Dice Rolling, Properties, Set Collection, Take that, Easy next step.

Castles of Burgundy: Dice Rolling & Placement. Tile Placement. Set Collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
partyoftwo wrote:
Hi.
We have Suburbia.
Thanks.

A lot of people will tell you that it is easily replaced by "better" modern games, that it is a bad design, and it is the bane of modern gamers to hear of someone who plays Monopoly.

I say if you love it and can keep playing it over and over and over, great! Have fun! I agree with one of my favorite YouTube Boardgame personalities (Calandale), there really is no other game like it because at the core of the game is negotiating the "big deal" that wins you the game. Also, I think it is a well designed game - its just that it was co-opted into a mass market boardgame and had some gamification added to its moral lessons (much like Chutes and Ladders is the gamification of Snakes and Ladders, which was a game designed to teach you that karma and destiny rule your life, and you must keep trying so you can eventually reach that state of spiritual enlightenment).

When I was younger, I moved on past Monopoly and the myriad of other family board games because they didn't offer me much. I prefered Talisman, which had all the roll-and-move and acquisition in it (just you were gathering gear, experience, and knowledge as you sought the Crown of Command to rule the world). Its fantasy theme gripped me. For economics, I liked the pick-up-and-deliver games of Empire Builder and other Mayfair Crayon Rail games (where you optimize your demand contracts and try to get rich using crayons to draw on the board to become a Train empire mogul).

I've since moved past those, preferring more Eurogame designs where luck is less of a factor and skill matters more. Card drafting and set collecting of Fungi (AKA Morels), a fun 30 minute 2 player game my wife and I enjoy; resource processing in Pillars of the Earth: Builders Duel; and cooperative play to match sets while controlling pieces on a board in Pandemic (and its expansions - though Pandemic The Cure or Flash Point Fire Rescue is better for those who prefer dice).

However, games are about having fun, being entertained, and maybe learning. Maybe you don't want to play heavy 1-2 hour games of being a medieval renaissance banker in Pax Renaissance like me, drafting cards and building tableaus that let you acquire kingdoms, vassalize neighbors, engage in peasant revolts, taxing and earning money on trade concessions during trade fairs, manipulating pirates, and seeing one of five ways to gain dominion (religious control for the Muslims, Reformists, or Catholics; building a empire out of Monarchies; dominating trade and being an monopolistic economic power; gaining a Renaissance victory by promoting republics and the new rule of law; or having the most patronage when the four opportunities for early victory have passed), using bishops to silence opponents tableaus, flipping medieval governments in Europe to Theocracies, and so on. Maybe you prefer Monopoly and its dice rolling and bargaining, bamboozling others. (Of course, I always found that part weak at 2 players.)

I guess what I am saying is, yeah, go beyond Monopoly - but if you find Monopoly really engaging, don't stop playing it either. Check out the tons of great game suggestions others have posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.