Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave C
United States
Clifton Park
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have ordered the base game, and want to order 1 of the expansions. I can see what the chronological release order has been. Do they need to be played in order? Is it possible to play an expansion first?

I've read/watched several reviews, and this game looks like a good fit for my gaming group. We tend to prefer realistic-ish themes (not Sci-Fi or Fantasy). The core premise of the game is Sci-Fi, but the meat of the theme is the actual case.

Asylum is soblue
The Marcy Case is zombies yuk
Prophecy of Dragons is fantasy yuk
Under the Mask looks appealing

Which expansion/s would you recommend for T.I.M.E newbies? (Not necessarily gaming newbies.)

***Emojis are hyperbole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Karrde
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a meta story slowly doled out over the course of the game/expansions. If you skip around, that may be a bit confusing and jumbled. If you plan to play all the scenarios eventually, I'd recommend going in order of release. If you don't, then don't sweat it and play what you want to, but there may be some confusing terms, references, and background story that are explained in other scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can just play them in any order/ leave some out
If you are not interested in the meta story you won’t miss much and the games are great either way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Villarreal
United States
Pacoima
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly I'd say yes, play them in order. The missions themselves have very little connections to each other, but when they do its pretty spectacular to have that knowledge of what came before. There is also a background narrative that is slowly getting addressed more and more with each expansion as things become more and more clear.

I'd also like to point out that Zee Garcia is not a fan of fantasy and he absolutely loved Prophecy of Dragons.

Newbies, I'd say the next one you should get would be Under The Mask. It is very closed off save for the ending which brings me to the next point.

For plot/revelations reasons I'd play:

Asylum before Lumen Fidei

Marcy Case before Under the Mask

Prophecy of Dragons before Expedition Endurance

BUT ALSO

The Cube you got in Asylum (I hope) comes up again and again. My team basically has a backpack of things we carry from mission to mission now of all the things we collected and carry over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Eriksson
Sweden
Sölvesborg
Blekinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ny gaming group played one of the scenarios this past weekend and that scenario refered to an earlier one which was very cool. We also got a benefit on a test we had to make if we had played a particular scenario.
So i say, play them in order
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fba827 fba827
United States
Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
if you don't care about the greater "meta story" (faction struggles) then you can play any scenarios you want in any order or skip any ones you want.

looking for the ones that veer more 'realistic'

(not really spoilers, in my opinion, but spoiler tags just in case ....)
Spoiler (click to reveal)

*asylum - supernatural hints in an insane asylum

*marcy case - you are playing the non zombies playing a game of survival while finding information. _comparatively_ it is one of the less supernatural ones here (in my opinion)

* Prophecy of dragons - pure fantasy

* under the mask - i have yet to play it but mostly realistic as i understand it from friends

* expedition endurance - i have yet to play it but i know it starts realistic but gets supernatural as you investigate further

* lumen fidei - starts very realistic....the very end not so much

* estella drive - haven't played but the description specifically talks about poltergeists

* Freres de la cote - coming in a couple months but by description is pirate adventure. And it was listed in an advertisement as very family friendly so i suspect it will be low on the supernatural stuff

* hadal project - not released until 2018 but based on description while set in future its an underwater local of some sort so don't know what to make of what is there...

* madame - not released until 2018 by description sounds very centered in realism but then talks about it pulling parts of the meta story together which is faction control. so i suppose with one or more of the factions they could pull it very scifi. your guess is as good as mine

Summary: Under the Mask (ancient egypt) is the most realistic of the currently published ones.

Then Freres de la cote (pirate themed) might be one of the more realistic ones based on description. but it's not coming out for a couple more months so that statement is pure conjecture at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can argue that A Prophecy of Dragons is not fantasy, TIME Stories has a strong science fiction setting and states that the APoD mission takes place
Spoiler (click to reveal)
on an alien planet;
that the inhabitants resemble fantasy tropes with which we are familiar is coincidence.

Throw in Arthur C Clarke's third law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" and anything is possible in the TIME Stories universe. In the same vein, there are no supernatural happenings in any of the scenarios, just things we cannot yet explain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.