Gaia Project» Forums » Rules

Subject: Nevlas doing Gaia Transforming to gain knowledge at the same time? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arthur CJK
Taiwan
flag msg tools
When playing the Nevlas,

If I try to do Gaia Transforming and move power tokens from area III of my power cycle to the Gaia area, can I still gain the knowledges at the same time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahle
Sweden
flag msg tools
No, you have to choose which effect you want to activate. The action "Gaiaforming" or the free action that is the Nevlas faction ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
For DocCool's eventual #FAQ

Basically, no double dipping is allowed.

I prefer using the term free conversion instead of free action. Actions take your turn. IIRC, all conversions of resources from one type into another (or intangible benefit like QIC into +2 NAV) do not take your turn and must be performed before or after your main action (this is true in Terra Mystica and Gaia Project).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur CJK
Taiwan
flag msg tools
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
For DocCool's eventual #FAQ

Basically, no double dipping is allowed.

I prefer using the term free conversion instead of free action. Actions take your turn. IIRC, all conversions of resources from one type into another (or intangible benefit like QIC into +2 NAV) do not take your turn and must be performed before or after your main action (this is true in Terra Mystica and Gaia Project).

Why not?
Moving the power tokens from area III to the gaia_area and get the knowledges is just the Nevlas' ability, isn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Nevlas don't gain knowledge when doing a Gaia Project.

They may gain knowledge by moving power tokens into the Gaia Bowl as a free "action" (conversion) which is separate from the main action you do as your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastian Winkelhaus
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ArthBazz wrote:
When playing the Nevlas,

If I try to do Gaia Transforming and move power tokens from area III of my power cycle to the Gaia area, can I still gain the knowledges at the same time?

No, as others have said, you cannot combine these abilities.

The Nevlas ability has a cost (move 1 power token from area III to the Gaia area) and an effect (gain 1 knowledge).

The Gaiaforming tech has a cost (move 3-6 power tokens from areas I-III to the Gaia area) and an effect (place a Gaiaformer).

Whenever you want an effect, you have to pay the respective cost. Your suggestion is the same thing as taking the free action "convert 4 power to 1 Q.I.C." and then saying "because i paid 4 power as a free action i can also take 1 ore and 4 coins, they have the same cost". It does not work that way.

ArthBazz wrote:

Why not?
Moving the power tokens from area III to the gaia_area and get the knowledges is just the Nevlas' ability, isn't it?

Exactly. The ability is to move them (pay a cost) and get knowledge (get an effect).

For your interpretation to work, the ability would have to be something like "Whenever you move a power token from area III to the Gaia area, you get 1 knowledge", but without a way to actually move the token. Then the moving would be a condition, not a cost. Like the Planetary Institute ability of the Geods or the Lantids, where you have to fulfill a condition (place a mine) to get an effect (knowledge or points). But this one does not work that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hawaiian
msg tools
mb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
Nevlas don't gain knowledge when doing a Gaia Project.

They may gain knowledge by moving power tokens into the Gaia Bowl as a free "action" (conversion) which is separate from the main action you do as your turn.

How many times can they do that as a free action? Unlimited?

Once per turn? (There's no orange hex)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It's only limited by # of power tokens in bowl 3.

If you have 0 knowledge and 4pt in B3, you can convert them to k and then take a tech step as your action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.