Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Want to play this game but can't - color blind. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Kenneth Deal WW 2 Belgium 1944/45
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the app came out I bought this game with the intention of playing solo. But to my dismay, I can't tell the dice colors apart on the cards.
Does anyone have a solution for us color blind people?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You could assugn each die a letter code, then have someone help you write the appropriate letters on the cards? Im thinking
Red die= M for melee
Blue= L for long range
Green= C for close range
Yellow= S for surge-heavy.

Of course, you can do whatever makes sense for you.
7 
 Thumb up
10.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Kenneth Deal WW 2 Belgium 1944/45
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Silver Surfer wrote:
You could assugn each die a letter code, then have someone help you write the appropriate letters on the cards? Im thinking
Red die= M for melee
Blue= L for long range
Green= C for close range
Yellow= S for surge-heavy.

Of course, you can do whatever makes sense for you.


Good idea. There are a LOT of cards. I have only played the tutorial so I am not sure how many of them need to be modified. I hope it is not too many. Thank you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
But why not R, B, G, Y?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rozar5 wrote:
The Silver Surfer wrote:
You could assugn each die a letter code, then have someone help you write the appropriate letters on the cards? Im thinking
Red die= M for melee
Blue= L for long range
Green= C for close range
Yellow= S for surge-heavy.

Of course, you can do whatever makes sense for you.


Good idea. There are a LOT of cards. I have only played the tutorial so I am not sure how many of them need to be modified. I hope it is not too many. Thank you.

You will not see that many cards in a single session, equipment doesn't generally change so the only issue are enemies. Actually I would just recommend playing the game with other people first, after a few sessions you will know by heart e.g. which dice the stormtroopers use.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a1bert wrote:
But why not R, B, G, Y?


That would certainly be an option. I was unsure whether Roger had difficulty differentiating the dice themselves. If not, your suggestion would probably be the better one.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Kenneth Deal WW 2 Belgium 1944/45
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Silver Surfer wrote:
a1bert wrote:
But why not R, B, G, Y?


That would certainly be an option. I was unsure whether Roger had difficulty differentiating the dice themselves. If not, your suggestion would probably be the better one.


I can tell the dice apart (my wife helped with that). It is the very small icons on the cards themselves that give me trouble. Red and green look exactly the same to me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Kenneth Deal WW 2 Belgium 1944/45
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
But why not R, B, G, Y?


That is the logical option. Writing on the cards is going to tank the resell value if I happen to not like the game or tire of it after a while. But such is life - sigh.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rozar5 wrote:
Writing on the cards is going to tank the resell value if I happen to not like the game or tire of it after a while. But such is life - sigh.

You could use sleeves and write to them. I have painted the unit pips onto sleeves with the same color as the base colors are for my painted imperial groups.

8 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Kenneth Deal WW 2 Belgium 1944/45
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
rozar5 wrote:
Writing on the cards is going to tank the resell value if I happen to not like the game or tire of it after a while. But such is life - sigh.

You could use sleeves and write to them. I have painted the unit pips onto sleeves with the same color as the base colors are for my painted imperial groups.



Good idea!! That's what I will do.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you still need to use the names of the colors because of the way the App assigns dice pools for some units (ex: Weiss). But a letter per dice is indeed a good idea. You should also post on FFG's website to ask for the App to include something to indicate colors better. (The tokenson the second mission have colors too - though the colors are not really used, actually.)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan West
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not colour blind but I have real trouble distinguishing the blue and green icons on the cards. I can only tell which colour is which when they're put next to each other!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Terrell
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jonathan9461 wrote:
I'm not colour blind but I have real trouble distinguishing the blue and green icons on the cards. I can only tell which colour is which when they're put next to each other!

Same here. I think they needed a bit more color saturation to make each one more vivid. One thing that helps in our group is extra lighting. Brighter light helps with distinguishing the colors.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
Avatar
mbmbmb
Jonathan9461 wrote:
I'm not colour blind but I have real trouble distinguishing the blue and green icons on the cards. I can only tell which colour is which when they're put next to each other!

I have a deficiency in green but I have no trouble with those two. You might want to try a few tests to make sure you don't have mild color blindness.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
Jonathan9461 wrote:
I'm not colour blind but I have real trouble distinguishing the blue and green icons on the cards. I can only tell which colour is which when they're put next to each other!

I have a deficiency in green but I have no trouble with those two. You might want to try a few tests to make sure you don't have mild color blindness.

Nah, those blue and green icons are definitely challenging.

Cornixt, I'm curious, I've watched some videos of how red-green colorblind people see the colors, and in those videos red and green seems to turn into yellowish brown... I imagine that could actually make the green die more distinct from the blue..?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Godballe
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rozar5 wrote:
a1bert wrote:
rozar5 wrote:
Writing on the cards is going to tank the resell value if I happen to not like the game or tire of it after a while. But such is life - sigh.

You could use sleeves and write to them. I have painted the unit pips onto sleeves with the same color as the base colors are for my painted imperial groups.



Good idea!! That's what I will do.


Furthermore, the cards should be available online to print. I don't have a link, but I'm sure Pasi does.

If you print the cards yourself, you can exchange the color symbols with letters for you to use.

Good luck with the gaming!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Payton
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Silver Surfer wrote:
You could assugn each die a letter code, then have someone help you write the appropriate letters on the cards? Im thinking
Red die= M for melee
Blue= L for long range
Green= C for close range
Yellow= S for surge-heavy.

Of course, you can do whatever makes sense for you.
There is another way to do it, which I think is probably more accurate (for example, the Red die can be part of a ranged attack pool). Actually, when I teach the game to new players I usually explain it this way:

1. Explain that the attack dice have 3 kinds of results on them. Furthermore, each die has different "specialties" (or results that it has a lot of):
--Damage
--Accuracy
--Surge

2. Then lay out the Red, Yellow, and Blue dice in a triangle formation, and put the Green die in the center of the triangle. On each corner of the triangle you have the "specialty" dice, and the die in the middle is the most balanced die.
--Red: the DAMAGE die. Highest amount of Damage, lowest Surge, no Accuracy. You want this die if you just wanna hit like a truck.
--Blue: the ACCURACY die. Highest amount of Accuracy, medium Surge, mediocre Damage. You want this die if you are shooting from distance; with regard to Damage, it has less than Green, but more than Yellow.
--Yellow: the SURGE die. Highest amount of Surges, lowest Damage, unreliable Accuracy. You want this die if you have some great surge abilities on your weapon or cards...and conversely, I've also found that this die tends to be kinda junky if you don't.
--Green: the MIX die. Fairly strong mix of everything. This is the generic jack-of-all-trades die. I've found that it's a valuable part of the dice pool most of the time.


People have also used this picture to help them to more easily remember the various die roll possibilities for each die:
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.