Subject: Some rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sgsdfsfg sfdgdfgsdfg

Rinkaby
Sweden
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. New to TI4 and these are some questions we haven't found answers for.

1. What constitutes a "combat round"? For instance, in space combat, is fighter barrage part of the first combat round?

2. What constitutes a combat roll? For instance, the Jol-Nar, who get -1 on all combat rolls. Their race sheet seems to imply that space cannon, bombardment, and fighter barrage is not part of combat rolls. But googleing it, a credible post about TI3 said they were combat rolls. SO which is it in TI4?

3. I can't remember the name of the agenda card now, but it sad something to the gist of (msot certainly misquited here) "destroy all but 2 dreadnoughts and all but 4 cruisers". There was some wild discussion if it meant "destroy ALL your ships, except 2 DKs and 4 Cruisers", or "Destroy any DK in excess of 2 and any cruiser in excess of 4". We reread the card and saw that it, indeed, is ambiguous. We googled it and found that the similar TI3 card has "Other ship types are unaffected" attached to the card. So, which is it for TI4?

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordTengil wrote:
1. What constitutes a "combat round"? For instance, in space combat, is fighter barrage part of the first combat round?

A combat round is resolving each of the 5 steps of space combat or the 2 steps of ground combat. Some of the steps will not happen in every round. For example, the ANTI-FIGHTER BARRAGE happens in step 1 of space combat, but only during the first combat round.

LordTengil wrote:
2. What constitutes a combat roll? For instance, the Jol-Nar, who get -1 on all combat rolls. Their race sheet seems to imply that space cannon, bombardment, and fighter barrage is not part of combat rolls. But googleing it, a credible post about TI3 said they were combat rolls. SO which is it in TI4?

This is a significant change from TI3 to TI4. In TI3, all of those abilities were ruled to be combat rolls. In TI4, the are very definitely not combat rolls.

Each of those abilities has a section in the rules reference, and they all have a line explaining that they are not combat rolls. I recommend checking the rules for questions like this, rather than googling old rulings from the previous edition that no longer apply.

LordTengil wrote:
3. I can't remember the name of the agenda card now, but it sad something to the gist of (msot certainly misquited here) "destroy all but 2 dreadnoughts and all but 4 cruisers". There was some wild discussion if it meant "destroy ALL your ships, except 2 DKs and 4 Cruisers", or "Destroy any DK in excess of 2 and any cruiser in excess of 4". We reread the card and saw that it, indeed, is ambiguous. We googled it and found that the similar TI3 card has "Other ship types are unaffected" attached to the card. So, which is it for TI4?

The agenda is Arms Reduction, and other ship types are not affected.

In order for the card to destroy other types of ships, or even be ambiguous about it, it would have to say "destroy all but 2 dreadnoughts and 4 cruisers." However, it breaks the list into 2 distinct clauses - "Each player destroys all but 2 of his dreadnoughts and all but 4 of his destroyers." Since it is presented as 2 clauses with the inclusive conjunction, the ambiguous reading would be that each player destroys all ships except 2 dreadnoughts and all ships except 4 cruisers at the same time, which is only possible by just destroying all ships.

If they wanted each player to destroy all ships, it would just say that on the card. So it's safe to disregard that convoluted and contradictory reading, and assume that the card actually says what it means clearly enough - that each player only needs to destroy dreadnoughts in excess of 2, and cruisers in excess of 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sgsdfsfg sfdgdfgsdfg

Rinkaby
Sweden
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Anything backing up the answer to 1. ? I can't find anything in the rules reference.

Yeah, not ambiguous, I agree. You see things somewhat hazily when you have been mushing your brain with 6h of TI I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordTengil wrote:
Thanks. Anything backing up the answer to 1. ? I can't find anything in the rules reference.

Yeah, not ambiguous, I agree. You see things somewhat hazily when you have been mushing your brain with 6h of TI I guess.

RRG - Space Combat wrote:
67.3 STEP 1—ANTI-FIGHTER BARRAGE: If this is the first round
of a space combat
, the players may simultaneously use the
“Anti-Fighter Barrage” ability of any of their units in the
active system.
67.8 After the “Retreat” step, if both players still have ships in the
active system, they resolve another round of space combat
beginning with the “Announce Retreats” step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
LordTengil wrote:

Section 67 is the main source. It talks about resolving the steps, and then in 67.8 it says "they resolve another round of space combat beginning with the "Announce Retreats" step".

67.3 describes Step 1 as being part of a "round of combat", too, as it says "If this is the first round of a space combat".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.