Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Fourth Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: First game, five noobs, three questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Jack
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A group of 5 of us, none of whom have every played TI (any version), played our first "learning" game yesterday. We expected it to be a learning experience and didn't expect to finish. We completed two rounds in about 5 hours before calling it for the night. We're now looking forward to our next session, when we'll go for a complete game. There are three questions I wrote down during play that I'm hoping to get clarification on. We couldn't find anything in the LTP or RR books.

1. When making deals, are you allowed to do things that go against other rules. Specifically, can I make a deal with another player to pass through a system he/she occupies with ships and not initiate combat? I know it allows you to do that if there are only ground forces/PDS units on planets.

2. When someone occupies Mecatol Rex, they take the token which gives them a victory point. Is the token then discarded? Or if someone else swoops in and takes over MR, do they then take the token and get the VP? If that's the case, does the original occupier lose a VP?

3. I believe I saw in the movement rules that a ship with capacity can pick up troops/fighters as it passes through systems. Am I remembering that correctly? Can a ship with capacity drop off units as it passes through systems (such as onto unoccupied planets)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pixel Hunter wrote:
1. When making deals, are you allowed to do things that go against other rules. Specifically, can I make a deal with another player to pass through a system he/she occupies with ships and not initiate combat? I know it allows you to do that if there are only ground forces/PDS units on planets.

- Deals do not allow either player to break the rules of the game.
- You may not move through systems with enemy ships unless you have the Light/Wave Deflector tech, the action card In The Silence of Space, or the Yssaril flagship.
- Ground forces, PDS and basic fighters do not block enemy movement.

Pixel Hunter wrote:
2. When someone occupies Mecatol Rex, they take the token which gives them a victory point. Is the token then discarded? Or if someone else swoops in and takes over MR, do they then take the token and get the VP? If that's the case, does the original occupier lose a VP?

- You can discard the token if you like, though I think most players keep it in front of them.
- The token and its VP will remain with the player who paid the influence to land first. It never moves to another player.

Pixel Hunter wrote:
3. I believe I saw in the movement rules that a ship with capacity can pick up troops/fighters as it passes through systems. Am I remembering that correctly? Can a ship with capacity drop off units as it passes through systems (such as onto unoccupied planets)?

- Yes, ships with capacity may pick up infantry and fighters from unactivated systems when they pass through.
- Ships pick up units while moving, but they don't drop off until the invasion step, which only happens in the activated system.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
flag msg tools
1. No. Pass through a system with groundforces yes. But not with non-fighter ships.

2. No, you can only get once 1 VP for Mecatol Rex.

3. You can pick up groundforces and fighters from a non-activated system but you only can drop units in the now activated system.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Fischer
Netherlands
Den Haag
---
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No.

2. The first player to take MR keeps the token and the VP for the remainder of the game.

3. A ship can pick up your troops on the way from systems that are not activated, but you cannot drop off troops except in the system you are going to (i.e. has activated).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jack
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. Thank you. And thank you. :-)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba W
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RE: 2
I prefer putting the token next to the objective cards and the scoring track, together with the flag of the conquering race; then later you could put there also the flags of whoever scores the 1VP with Imperial SC while on Mecatol.
Makes it a bit easier to check if the scores are correct in later rounds.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.