Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Pratuch
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I leave it to others to create detailed reviews. My comments are meant for the quick-look. My first impression was that this was a soft drink & pretzels game. Something you played for sheer fun or to introduce a person to war gaming. After six sessions my opinion still holds.

If you play the historical situation you should get the Victoria Cross if you win as the British. The odds are against you! But that is what makes it a great intro for a newbie. You can give your younger family member a chance to win as the Zulu without throwing the game. I now have a nephew hooked into war gaming for this reason.

Since there are two separate victory conditions, you can also handicap yourself against a less experienced opponent by going for the "ammo wagon and colors escapes" condition and ignore the last "x turns" option.

For a match between veteran gamers, the fun is in developing approaches for the British to win in the ahistorical setup. It can be done as I can attest. Replays are a fun series of coming up with different strategies to win as a mental "amuse bouche." I was thinking about seeing if singing Men of Harlech during the game had any effect -- I know wrong battle, wrong units.

This is no Victoria Cross II (which I also own) but it is quick, fun, and good for newbies. I play solo and FTF but the latter can only happen if we grow the hobby IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Bomba
United States
California
flag msg tools
Glad you enjoyed yourself.

My feeling is, the British did indeed lose this battle due to their poor initial deployment.

I believe if you play the game, and also read the accompanying historical support article I wrote for it, you'll get a good understanding of the history involved here.

Because the game is mechanically simple doesn't mean it's simplistic. The factors modeled into the game, I believe, correctly model the levers of control the two commands had in the actual event.

The situation that led to this battle were extremely complex and multi-faceted; the battle itself was an exercise in timeless core strategic, operational and tactical basics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Pratuch
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree completely with all your remarks Ty. I enjoy games where the rules are quick to learn but there is fun and learning in replays. You did a good job with this one. The hobby needs games like this just as much as complex larger ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...just picked this up, today, from my local hobby shop, but I see comments from a year ago! Will give the game a go in about a month ( long story as to the wait).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Bomba
United States
California
flag msg tools
The issue containing the game was just sent out a few weeks ago; however, it was in playtesting for a long while prior to publication. (Hence the 'dated' posts above.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swamp Hamster
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick review. I like games like this one that are fast to learn yet deliver a good play. Back in the 70s I became turned off by the growing number and complexity of the Monster Games. It seemed each game tried to out do the previous in unnecessary complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rory willis
msg tools
thinking of getting this is it any good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
rory willis wrote:
thinking of getting this is it any good

Yes...fairly easy, but realistic thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.