29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Eagle Eye Goggles - The best thing ever? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Stormslayer
msg tools
I played a game with Cragheart (lvl2) yesterday. Due to my relatives coercing me, I purchased Eagle Eye Goggles, and I have no regrets.

I was able to use them four times in the scenario and target 10 enemies with all of Cragheart's AOE abilities. There was never a time where the advantage failed to add at least 1 damage, so I would wager I gained 15 damage over the scenario.

Fifteen damage is the equivalent of 2-3 enemies at scenario level 1, with no extra turns needed. Is that not the best use of 30 gold?

I'd also be interested if anyone knows how to calculate probability of having advantage. What's the average value it increases your attack by?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Rohrer
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
visit my blog at http://www.alittlelatetothetable.blogspot.com/
badge
“The way a man plays a game shows some of his character. The way he loses shows all of it."
mbmbmbmbmb
we love the goggles and use them all the time in our campaign! anyone with good AOE effects should take them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Eagle Eye Goggles are good, but I'm more inclined to give them to characters that do high single-target damage. With an area-of-effect, if you miss one 2-3 attack out of four due to the null, it doesn't hurt so bad. With something like the Scoundrel set up to do 9 damage in one hit, her drawing the null is devastating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delith Malistar
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm loathe to buy them do to the recent posts about rolling modifier cards. Anyone veterans out there want to chime in? Are they still worth the cost even with RMs happening later in the character's 'life'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Roe
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found the Goggles are great for lower level characters, and then become somewhat less of an advantage as your character levels up and has fewer minus cards and more rolling modifiers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CNCJohnWE wrote:
... There was never a time where the advantage failed to add at least 1 damage, so I would wager I gained 15 damage over the scenario.

Fifteen damage is the equivalent of 2-3 enemies at scenario level 1, with no extra turns needed.

The last part isn't true...

Math, you hit a health 6 creature for 3 damage instead of 2. They are still alive, so... the +1 bonus damage only helps in situations where your teammate fails to do 4 points of damage on the attack that finishes off that monster. Overkill doesn't gain anything, it's the number of attacks needed to drop a mob that matters.

Eagle Eye goggles are great, but they maximize on characters that have multi-attack actions and modified attack decks that have more +2 or blessings.

I had them on my SW, but I'm not using them on my MT.

Dexter345 wrote:
Eagle Eye Goggles are good, but I'm more inclined to give them to characters that do high single-target damage. <snip> With something like the Scoundrel set up to do 9 damage in one hit, her drawing the null is devastating.

Our SC player was paranoid and did the same thing-- if there's no better head items unlocked, then it makes sense. However, I'd give it to a SW over a SC any day of the week. The SC often will finish something off on any EXCEPT a null card. So, you are using an item to negate a very small chance of failure-- as opposed to an SW that adds more +2 cards, add element cards, and needs both of them and can use Advantage on target 2, target 3, or AoE attack abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Rossi
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I find them particularly useful on the Spellweaver. The perks that add +2 Fire and +2 Ice are very helpful to hit often and using the goggles on AoE attacks lets me get through my deck faster to hit them more often. There are times where the extra damage isn't useful this turn, but always having Ice and/or Fire up is helpful if your party can make use of those elements often.

Everyone else is pretty spot on. Advantage is less good with lots of rolling modifiers in your deck and the benefit of them is greatest when your deck has a high number of cards you want to avoid hitting (Such as with an unmodified deck), or a high number of cards that are unambiguously better than other positive cards, in the case of the SW +2 Fire/+2 Ice).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Goggles are great and nobody will argue if you consider them the best item in the game.
Some characters might not use them that often though. Characters that don't have any other items that refresh and only take Short Rests, for example.
Or a smart* Spellweaver that has
Spoiler (click to reveal)
enhanced Mana Bolt with Strengthen

*or one that has read way too many GH guides whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stormslayer
msg tools
WarioMCP wrote:
Advantage is less good with lots of rolling modifiers in your deck and the benefit of them is greatest when your deck has a high number of cards you want to avoid hitting (Such as with an unmodified deck), or a high number of cards that are unambiguously better than other positive cards, in the case of the SW +2 Fire/+2 Ice).

I read about Advantage and rolling modifiers. Luckily, I just started playing this game, and I have 2 perks, neither of which are rolling modifiers. I can avoid getting rolling modifiers and prioritize the +2s easily enough.

And yes, I just started playing, and there's not a better helmet unlocked yet. I'll have no problem switching to something better in later levels because my attack modifier deck will be significantly better. I don't know how the gold scaling will work in this game, but when I see enhancing a card costing at least 30-150 gold, spending 30 on this makes a huge difference early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Major Stamina potion-- best thing ever
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
SaintHax wrote:

you probably not have seen any prosperity 8+ items ;o
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morthai wrote:
SaintHax wrote:

you probably not have seen any prosperity 8+ items ;o

No, but then I'd assume the same goes for Eagle Eye googles :-) Stam potion is great on every character, no matter what modifier deck or abilities they have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CPL Rod
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Must I tap the Eagle Eye Googles before my I flip the first attack modifier card? Or can I see the first of ostensibly two attack modifier cards and then decide if I want to use the Eagle Eye Googles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you have to decide to use the Eagle-Eye Goggles before you draw an attack modifier card.

Note that if you have a multi-target attack, you can perform the first attack, and then decide to spend the Eagle-Eye Goggles for the rest of the attacks in the attack action. But for each individual attack, once you draw attack modifiers, there's no going back to use a lot of items that affect the attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
But for each individual attack, once you draw attack modifiers, there's no going back to use a lot of items that affect the attack.
In fact, once an AttMod card is drawn for an attack, you can't use any items that directly affect that attack (whether that be adding/subtracting damage, adding advantage/disadvantage, adding status effects, or anything else).
Note that this doesn't apply to shields and the like that don't affect the attack itself, but deal with reducing the damage from that attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the problem with rolling cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SanguinousRex wrote:
they potentially decrease the efficiency of Advantage.
An advantage attack that pulls a rolling modifier just uses both of the cards, so some people feel that EEGs aren't worth it for characters whose AttMod decks have lots of rolling mods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Stop it! That tickles! :P
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
SanguinousRex wrote:
they potentially decrease the efficiency of Advantage.
An advantage attack that pulls a rolling modifier just uses both of the cards, so some people feel that EEGs aren't worth it for characters whose AttMod decks have lots of rolling mods.

Just to clarify so the RAW isn't misrepresented:
- Advantage still produces a net gain with rolling modifiers when viewed from a statistical average.
- Individual draws could result in a Null or a minus damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
kgk4569 wrote:

...but will still get better results than without advantage or without a RM. It's just advantage AND RMs that can sometimes be funky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeS_Tructive wrote:
kgk4569 wrote:

...but will still get better results than without advantage or without a RM. It's just advantage AND RMs that can sometimes be funky.

Exactly.

A lot of people misinterpret Advantage, supposing it means always hitting, or always doing more damage. Thus they think this interaction with Nulls is inappropriate.

In reality it is that you have a BETTER CHANCE of hitting. Thematically it is like your opponent is distracted or off balance, or you have momentarily enhanced reflexes. You can still miss or score a glancing hit, but it is less likely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coyote81 aka Token
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Agreed, my mindtheif build was able to use the major stamina twice per scenario, and I also had a minor stam and scroll of stam. I don't remember ever exhausting and I could lock down some enemies for some 6 turns if needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kgk4569 wrote:
- Advantage still produces a net gain with rolling modifiers when viewed from a statistical average.

but not as much of a statistical net gain as Advantage without Rolling Modifiers would produce.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
kgk4569 wrote:

but not as much of a statistical net gain as Advantage without Rolling Modifiers would produce.

That misrepresents both Advantage and Rolling Modifiers. Callidus did a simulation using the MT's modifiers (MT has a lot of RMs).

-- Modified average attack values --
BASE - No Perks - 2.0
All perks Except RM - 2.8
All perks WITH RMs - 3.07
All perks, No RMs, + Adv. - 3.57
All perks, With RMs, + Adv - 3.35

Sure, you can interpret that as "RMs and Adv, make it worse than Adv without it!" But that is a flawed way to look at it. Most of your atracks are going to be without Advantage. Therefore the 3.07 average attack is realistically much better than the 2.8. Then with Advantage you still see an increase in damage.

Additionally there is crit/miss probability.
BASE - No Perks - 0.07/0.07
All perks Except RM - 0.1/0.1
All perks WITH RMs - 0.1/0.1
All perks, No RMs, + Adv. - 0.19/0.0
All perks, With RMs, + Adv - 0.13/0.07

Again, we see the same thing, No RMs and No Adv seems to win the day. Again though, normally you won't be using Adv so that means normally RMs and no RMs are equal. However, again you'd be using the Adv from things like EEG in special occasions, usually with AoE attacks. Here the 3% probability for crit is helpful while the chance to miss is the same as that in the base deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb

I know I'm at least partially responsible for triggering this one, but please no... not again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. This and X are the two most hotly contested topics in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.