Subject: Obama, Iran, and Hizb'alla rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.timesofisrael.com/obama-said-to-have-derailed-ca...

Can we hear more claptrap about how this was the best possible deal and the only alternative was massive war? Oh wait, I'm supposed to pretend the Iran nuclear deal was good unless I can magically present an alternative I know Iran would agree to without being privy to the negotiations.

EDIT:
I thought I'd pasted the news link but it was a FB link. Corrected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Obama, Iran, and Izb'alla
Thanks. I'd not noticed it wasn't the link I thought. The short version is that the deal was partially paid for my allowing Hizb'alla-- an Iranian proxy terrorist group-- to sell drugs in the US and worldwide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Obama, Iran, and Izb'alla
whac3 wrote:

Can we hear more claptrap about how this was the best possible deal and the only alternative was massive war? Oh wait, I'm supposed to pretend the Iran nuclear deal was good unless I can magically present an alternative I know Iran would agree to without being privy to the negotiations.

I have trouble believing that Obama would interfere with a drug investigation of terrorists. I am reserving judgement until I read Obama's response. If the Obama administration actually did this, they chose a bad means to a good ends.

Because of the Iran deal, Iran will not be able to threaten Israel or anyone else with nuclear weapons for at least 10 years, possibly much longer. And yes, if you want your claim that the Iran deal was bad to be taken seriously, you do need to say what you would have done instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had I been speaking for the US etc., I'd have done nothing until and unless a better deal were made. It's not glamorous but it was the better course of action.

EDIT:
"Won't be able to threaten [us]?" You believe that rot? It put them on their current path. The deal did not stop war. It guarantees it. Iran took it as a green light for their regional ambitions and everyone else in the region-- everyone-- took it the same way.

Of course I'm sure you Americans know better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
Chigwell, Essex, London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The actual article is on the Politico front page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
whac3 wrote:
Thanks. I'd not noticed it wasn't the link I thought. The short version is that the deal was partially paid for my allowing Hizb'alla-- an Iranian proxy terrorist group-- to sell drugs in the US and worldwide.

Short and deceptive. The article doesn’t even allege that the reduction in staffing for enforcement against Hezbollah was mentioned in negotiations. All it claims is that the Obama administration, in an attempt to protect the deal they were making, put those resources to other uses.

But I like that nobody is even claiming yet that the real story is who is leaking this to the press, and that that’s what we need to investigate. I don’t mind a little consideration of the quality of evidence and the motives of those who bring it to public attention, but the suggestion that only the leaking matters is a crap play I’d like to remain the sole province of Republicans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

"Won't be able to threaten [us]?" You believe that rot? It put them on their current path. The deal did not stop war.

You left out the important part: not threaten with nukes. The deal was not supposed to stop war, it was supposed to keep them from getting nukes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
whac3 wrote:

"Won't be able to threaten [us]?" You believe that rot? It put them on their current path. The deal did not stop war.

You left out the important part: not threaten with nukes. The deal was not supposed to stop war, it was supposed to keep them from getting nukes.

No, it promised they could get them in 10 years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

Now I'm no fan of American interference in the Middle East, but if you don't like their heavy-handed paternalism, you can always give back the $38billion in military aid they've agreed to give Israel over the next ten years.

All that $$$ and they brokered an anti-nuke deal with your enemies, whom Netanyahu was proposing air strikes against, possibly to distract from his many corruption scandals at home?

Not only all that, but America routinely pretends that Israel has no nukes so that it doesn't have to impose sanctions for non-adherence to US non-proliferation laws, a position that undermines it's authority on non-proliferation across the globe, but one it still adopts, as a favour to Israel.

What more do you want from them? Air strikes? A war?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Now I'm no fan of American interference in the Middle East, but if you don't like their heavy-handed paternalism, you can always give back the $38billion in military aid they've agreed to give Israel over the next ten years.

All that $$$ and they brokered an anti-nuke deal with your enemies, whom Netanyahu was proposing air strikes against, possibly to distract from his many corruption scandals at home?

It pains me, but I'm going to suggest this time the Yanks may have called it correctly.

I'd love to cut military ties with the US but that military aid btw is quid pro quo. It's a defense industry slush fund. Israel is foreost in designing tech we don't have the facilities to produce in mass. We allow the US to do so and in exchange spend the money the US gives us plus some of our own on what is built. So cut the crap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
whac3 wrote:
jmilum wrote:
whac3 wrote:

This appears to be false. Do you have a source for that understanding, or an argument of your own for why it’s true?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
jmilum wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Well at least we agree that it wasn’t supposed to stop a war. As such, why are you using that as a point against the deal?

Also weren’t they supposed to have nukes by now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding was that w don't know where in the development they are and so they might have had nukes by now i they can gt the uranium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
whac3 wrote:

It was supposed to delay them from gaining nuclear bombs. Hopefully for as long as the deal, but at least some even if the deal later failed.

I think it was successful in that regard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Had I been speaking for the US etc., I'd have done nothing until and unless a better deal were made. It's not glamorous but it was the better course of action.

EDIT:
"Won't be able to threaten [us]?" You believe that rot? It put them on their current path. The deal did not stop war. It guarantees it. Iran took it as a green light for their regional ambitions and everyone else in the region-- everyone-- took it the same way.

Thank you for answering my question honestly and quickly.

In my opinion, the US doing nothing (in other words, not taking the deal) would not have worked out well. Europe was in favor of the deal, and they would have considered a unilateral rejection by the US as unreasonable. The sanctions would have fallen apart, and and with it the pressure on Iran. Iran might even have a nuclear weapon by now, and Europe would blame the US for this. Rightly, in my opinion.

Moshe, isn't it true that many retired Israeli military people supported the deal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.812473
Quote:
Netanyahu at Odds With Israeli Military and Intelligence Brass Over Whether to Push Trump to Scrap Iran Nuclear Deal

Netanyahu and his defense minister believe that the U.S. leaving the deal would be in Israel's interests, but experts in intelligence agencies have reservations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
In September of 2012, Netanyahu told the U.N. that Iran’s capability to enrich uranium had to be stopped before the next spring or early summer, else by that time the country would be in a position to make a short, perhaps undetectable, sprint to manufacture its first nuclear weapon.

He famously used a Wyley Coyote bomb graphic to make this point.

We are well past that timeline and Iran doesn’t have a nuke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread (click thru for whole thing) shreds the Politico article.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.