Agricola» Forums » Rules

Subject: Family growth on first worker placement, add room with second? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Long
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
Was playing 2p Agricola last night. I wanted to place my first worker on family growth, but all rooms were currently full (not growth without room). I was then going to place my second worker on add room as my opponent could not put a worker on the add room because he did not have the resources to do so. So I knew that not only would I get the extra family but also guarantee the room. Is this allowed? Can you place on family growth first, then add room second? The rules when taken literally suggest not, but the rationale they give is because you need room for that new family member, which I would have by end of turn.

Thanks! Love this game!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Murtagh
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
No, you need to have the room for your child first.

Welcome to the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreu P.
Spain
Barcelona
Catalonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola's actions are resolved immediately after placing your worker, and in the example you describe you don't fulfill the requirements to be able to place your first worker on Family Growth (i.e. having a spare room). You must build the room first and then place on Family Growth whenever a chance arises.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rlong007 wrote:
Was playing 2p Agricola last night. I wanted to place my first worker on family growth, but all rooms were currently full (not growth without room). I was then going to place my second worker on add room as my opponent could not put a worker on the add room because he did not have the resources to do so. So I knew that not only would I get the extra family but also guarantee the room. Is this allowed? Can you place on family growth first, then add room second? The rules when taken literally suggest not, but the rationale they give is because you need room for that new family member, which I would have by end of turn.

Thanks! Love this game!!

As with all strategy games, always interpret the rules literally rather than thematically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No otherwise you opponent could take the build room/stables action based on the fact that he would acquire the necessary later
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless otherwise specifically specified, all actions in this game are resolved immediately.

Did I actually say "...specifically specified..."?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Young
United States
Topanga
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark_Knight wrote:

Did I actually say "...specifically specified..."?

That was literally the literal thing you said!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Long
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
Thanks all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.