Blaise Grimes-Viort
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
o hai
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a few games of the 1st solo scenario and found a few unclear moments so logging how I interpreted them here and if anyone has any thoughts do drop them here too!

Having fumbled my way through two games (1st with cities which I later realised were not necessary - I recommend reading the thread in the forum on solitaire rules which has things not found in the manual, as well as the video in the video section!) my third game I did quite well, getting through the Hells deck once and losing with 3 cards left.

So the things I was unsure of and how I resolved them:

- Not clear when to play the labyrinth cards to remove damage from Hercules. Since I was getting wiped out so quickly in the first two games, I decided to apply whenever - ie even as soon as immediately when taking new cards for hand at end of turn. I also applied any discards that were labyrinths when cutting back to the 5 card hand rule. Given I still didn't win, I think it's ok!

- The protector cards that either add a shield or block one attack point from Hercules are vital to get anywhere and survive the close shaves

- I pulled the cornered Hydra card from Olympus I early on. It was only when I upgraded it twice to the full Hydra that I realised this was living in the Hells deck. Then I took it anyway - figured I had "tamed it". Again it didn't feel like it overpowered my deck so why not? Thematically I imaged Hercules catching and dominating it until it fell in line

- The spell card I posted about in a separate thread I later discovered in the manual that it most likely means apply damage to 1 creature of your opponents or all creature in both player decks. And the variant in the manual for solo play is all opponent creatures only. So I always applied that and never just one creature. It's brutal and can decimate your deck, but again I managed to get to the last 3 cards so could conceivably win with some lucky card draws and purchases.

Still early days but so far it's nice - quite swingy but plays and sets up fast once you've sorted the cards. Hopefully some English and French players will join in with their views.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fendoel Delys
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlaiseGV wrote:
- Not clear when to play the labyrinth cards to remove damage from Hercules. Since I was getting wiped out so quickly in the first two games, I decided to apply whenever - ie even as soon as immediately when taking new cards for hand at end of turn. I also applied any discards that were labyrinths when cutting back to the 5 card hand rule. Given I still didn't win, I think it's ok!

I play it like another card from my hand when I need it.

BlaiseGV wrote:
- The spell card I posted about in a separate thread I later discovered in the manual that it most likely means apply damage to 1 creature of your opponents or all creature in both player decks. And the variant in the manual for solo play is all opponent creatures only. So I always applied that and never just one creature. It's brutal and can decimate your deck, but again I managed to get to the last 3 cards so could conceivably win with some lucky card draws and purchases.

I think that in this scenario, that's a question of rythme. when to apply the fall of Omphalos and when wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume GARCIA
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
In the first scenario you can win with several method. Don't forget to 'Remove' Undead Slave or Abomination (so you only confront 1 time)

I will post english FAQ this week. I will come back to link it here.

Mooshgames

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blaise Grimes-Viort
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
o hai
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks both!

Not sure what you mean by "remove" - checked manual but not clear. Will look again but look forward to the FAQ!

Edit: found ref to remove - this will help a lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blaise Grimes-Viort
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
o hai
mbmbmbmbmb
OK next question. I have been playing with the Olympus cards as buyable. But on rereading, I think I shouldn't and can only buy the list of cards in the manual for the Hercules scenario. Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Fergeau
msg tools
https://parisestludique.fr
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can only buy the cards which are listed in the manual. There is no stack of any kind, during the 'buy' phase, you choose which card(s) you want to buy (provided you can pay for it obviously

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume GARCIA
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hello,

@Christophe : that's totally correct

Mooshgames

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.