Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chet C.
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In a Star Wars frame of mind after seeing The Last Jedi over the weekend. No spoilers here.

It came to me that this could be a Star Wars game:
- Woodland Alliance = Resistance
- Marquis de Cat = First Order
- Eyrie = The Republic/Senate (which plays no role in any movies since Episode 3, but would fit the part mechanically)
- Vagabond = Jedi

I would play this. (I’m a Root backer.) More importantly, many people who may not notice Root on the shelf of their FLGS would be more likely to notice and purchase a mechanically similar Star Wars edition. Perhaps a conversation with FFG would be interesting.

The game would lose some of its charm, but likely gain a larger player base and even greater longevity, if Disney has anything to say about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love the idea, but there are a dearth of Star Wars games out there. With Rebellion on the shelves I can't see another epic Star Wars game being brought out yet (but I'd love to see one, and I'm very excited to be receiving Rebellion for Christmas!).

Imagine this though, Root as a Star Wars game with Kyle Ferrin doing the art. I'd pay for that 10 times over!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Would the Jedi really help out the First Order, though, even temporarily?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank QB
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidSL wrote:
I love the idea, but there are a dearth of Star Wars games out there. With Rebellion on the shelves I can't see another epic Star Wars game being brought out yet (but I'd love to see one, and I'm very excited to be receiving Rebellion for Christmas!).

Imagine this though, Root as a Star Wars game with Kyle Ferrin doing the art. I'd pay for that 10 times over!

Dearth means scarcity or few. I think you mean the opposite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
frankqb wrote:
DavidSL wrote:

No,no, definitely not enough SW games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frankqb wrote:
DavidSL wrote:

I think the word he's looking for is 'surfeit'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank QB
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was going to be my suggestion, but I didn't want to put words in his mouth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
frankqb wrote:
DavidSL wrote:

No,no, definitely not enough SW games.

Dearth Vader?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:

Well, if you had two vagabonds, one could be the Jedi and another the Sith.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
woodnoggin wrote:

Padawan scans to vagabond, and that way figuring out which sides they help is them deciding if they want to be a Jedi hero or a Sith villain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of games like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
A smuggler faction seems like a better fit for the Vagabond role. They work with whichever side will put up with them, and there's plenty of characters in the movies who fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
woodnoggin wrote:

STAR WARS ROOT CONFIRMED!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I called FFG and asked them what they thought and they said LOL nope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Thompson
msg tools
runtsta wrote:
A smuggler faction seems like a better fit for the Vagabond role. They work with whichever side will put up with them, and there's plenty of characters in the movies who fiq.

Probably. The Jedi and Sith would probably just be "hero characters" the other factions can use as stronger (but quantity-wise more limited) warriors.

I obviously don't think this could happen, unless a bunch of fans make an unofficial version of the PNP, but it's fun to speculate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chet C.
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GreenM wrote:
Ya, they have a lot under development. I imagine they have to run characters, mechanics, etc by Disney as part of their license, plus pay royalty fees. It’s probably not worth their time until they’re very confident of large financial returns and available workforce/resource bandwidth. As Root gains traction over the coming years (I expect), maybe they’ll change their minds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cheddarific wrote:
GreenM wrote:
Ya, they have a lot under development. I imagine they have to run characters, mechanics, etc by Disney as part of their license, plus pay royalty fees. It’s probably not worth their time until they’re very confident of large financial returns and available workforce/resource bandwidth. As Root gains traction over the coming years (I expect), maybe they’ll change their minds.

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.J.
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenM wrote:

Really? Because they OKed game of thrones Catan, so what else can beyond milking a franchise? It’s a 600K Kickstarter, they might actually agree if you ask them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Perrytom wrote:
GreenM wrote:

Really? Because they OKed game of thrones Catan, so what else can beyond milking a franchise? It’s a 600K Kickstarter, they might actually agree if you ask them.

They already have the AGOT franchise and Catan is in house now, so different beast. I'm not saying you shouldn't but it is extremely unlikely FFG would listen. They're very much a "don't-call-us-we'll-call-you" type of business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ymrde Buno
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mb
no more SW gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.